RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Kiah

Major Rugby Tours

The Aussie commentators were commenting on the second string force side that faced the Lions.  Then we see a second string Auckland side playing France.

I thought it absolutely farcical to give a trophy to the French captain tonight.  Utter bull ____!!!!

I grew up excited about tours here.  Seeing 30 match tours get reduced to 14-16 wasnt great.  Then it went down to 8-9.  Then no tours. Now this.

The public got to know the tourists and every tourist I have ever met loved the experience.  Every team had a go at trying to win a touring trophy and it was genuinely exciting around the provinces when the Lions or whoever else it was that came to town.

But no matter who was there - the ABs fronted for their provinces.  

This second team crap is just ripping off the public, cheapens the Blues jersey (and across the ditch the Forces jersey).

There is no reason why Braid and Williams werent playing.  Ditto the current Blues in the AB squad.

With the international calendars its unlikely to have proper tours again. Thats a shame for the game

Ahhh those tours of yester year Kiah.

I recall listening on the radio in 77 to the Lions v King Country when that great Scottish fullback (whose name i can't remember) tore them apart. I think he scored 5 or 6 tries. One of his ploys was to pass to his wing and then double around outside of the wing. Who had ever heard of such a thing?

And the Lions v Juniors game at Athletic Park in the mud in that same year.

And the Boks v Manawatu behind the barbed wire in 1981. Manawatu with all it's All Blacks, only falling away right near the end.What a match, what an atmosphere with all the anti-tour chanting and choppers buzzing above.

And the Lions v NZ Maori at Hamilton in 2005. I was there. Big upset and much celebrating long into the night.

These tour matches stick in my mind more than the Test matches. No player would ever consider skipping one of these matches even if he had a Test to play on the following Saturday. The whole town got fired up for such matches. There was a real buzz. Everyone knew there was a big rugby match in town.

That's all gone now Kiah. The All Black Captain is only turning up for the Tri Nations matches. The Provinces will see no touring team this year. The All blacks won't play for their provinces in the NPC. Auckland get a game against a touring team and rest most of the team. Why give that game to Auckland and play at passionless Albany Stadium?

Enjoy your Super 15 Kiah.

The Lions v Wanganui King Country in 1966.

Pinetree in probably one of his finest games.On the field not in the grandstand.

Yeh they have rooted the itinery nowdays but lucky to have had the opportunity

to witness a lot of these old style tour games.

OLd Wanganui used to be a buzz for weeks before and after.

The new system seems to assist Ozi teams because they don't have a rugby culture there.Because

they don't have a third tier competition they would like the Super games to go longer.

I loved watching Andy Irvine but wasnt it odd that his very worst games were all against the ABs???

He had all the skills, speed and flair but against us he really bombed. Missed tackles, dropped catches, dropped bombs he did it all against us - but against everyone else he was the man!

These current Lions backs cannot pass a ball as well as the 71, 74 or 77 Lions

Mind you the passing standards world wide are much poorer now - everyone is working on speed, bulk and power.  They neglect the fundamental skills

Every town in NZ buzzed when a touring team came in.  They need to do this - say every four years or so.

I bet the likes of Llanelli, Munster, Cardiff etc etc. would love the ABs to come calling too ....