RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Todamax101

Reliable Man

From: http://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/8175/Reliable-Man-likely-to-stand-in-New-Zealand.aspx

Australia's biggest racehorse owner, Gerry Harvey, is negotiating to buy the French-bred galloper Reliable Man in a multimillion-dollar deal.

If successful, the rising six-year-old will start his breeding career at Westbury Stud in New Zealand this season.

Reliable Man, a Group One winner in both hemispheres, showed he was a world-class performer when he won the Gr.1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Randwick on April 27. However, the galloper injured his off-fore tendon 50 metres from the winning post and his racing future was immediately in jeopardy.

Despite showing improvement, Reliable Man's injury meant he would be out of action for several months and the son of Dalakhani was put on the stallion market.

His connections include well-known owners Rob Ferguson, Andrew Ramsden and Gerard Peterson, who each bought a 10 per cent share from Swiss-based owner-breeder Sven Hanson.

Harvey took a liking to Reliable Man after witnessing his Randwick win and believed he would be an instant success at stud in New Zealand.

''I spoke to a number of leading Kiwi breeders to see if they would be interested in a share in Reliable Man and the response was all positive,'' he said. ''As a result I have made an offer to buy the horse and am in the process of finalising a syndicate.''

---

Don't know much about breeding but with his form around horses like So You Think, Danedream, and Cirrus des Aigles he looks like he'd make a great middle-distance addition to our stallion ranks. Thoughts?

From: http://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/8175/Reliable-Man-likely-to-stand-in-New-Zealand.aspx

Don't know much about breeding but with his form around horses like So You Think, Danedream, and Cirrus des Aigles he looks like he'd make a great middle-distance addition to our stallion ranks. Thoughts?

I agree with you 100%. He would be a great acquisition in my opinion.

It was announced this afternoon that Reliable Man has been purchased by Westbury Stud and will stand there this stud season, 2013.

A wonderful acquisition in my opinion.

Just the type we need to return our industry to the top of what we were previously known for.

Great for NZ but there seem to be alot of sires in that top end now. Are there enough quality mares to give good books to them all ?

I don't mean to be negative , but we keep hearing how tough it is out there for the studs so I am just wondering. Maybe Gerry Harvey will ship a number of selected mares over from Australia like he seems to have done with some of his other sires.

Did any of you Cafers see Reliable Man when he paraded last Friday at Karaka?

I would love to hear your views.

As previously posted I think that he would be or now is a wonderful acquisition for this country.

Why is no one else as enthusiastic as me?

P.S. I didn't see him as I am down country.

His very first runner in Europe won having her first start on Sunday afternoon.

The race was over 1400m and the 2 year old filly won by 2.5 lengths.

Reports say they she is top class and will now likely be set for the number one 2 year old race in Germany. 

Incidentally 10,500 patrons were in attendance, as it was promoted as a family/picnic day. 

Has received amazing support since standing at stud (averaging 151 mares a season) especially in his 3rd and 4th seasons (which can be the hardest for a stallion) and is fully booked for this year.

Has so far sired a couple of winners (including a G1 placed horse) and had several city placed from 14 runners, but no doubt his progeny will improve with time and distance, looking forward to seeing what his 3yo's do this up coming season.

9 hours ago, La Zip said:

Will be one of a few who need to up the ante in the coming season to justify their fee

No doubt.....but a lot of people seem to have a lot of confidence [including me] so lets hope that it's not misplaced.

2 hours ago, La Zip said:

I truly hope so because I will feel for those who have invested at the highest level...

Why do you say that?, Breeder's have choice, if they don't like the service fee they can try and negotiate that fee or go to another stallion they perceive to be better value.

What a Breeder pay's comes down to what they are willing to pay, obviously Breeders have judged the fee to be reasonable considering the support he has received, but everyone is different, people like different stallions and are entitled to their own opinions.

Anything coming through the pipeline for this fella,seems to have gone a bit quiet probably needs to get a wriggle on? 14 wnrs from 51 starters in Aus/NZ, Served a big book of mares last season, perhaps some bargains in the upcoming weanling sale if you like him.

Personal hunch based partly on revealed form, ..he is unlikely to leave many precocious/speedy types so the next two or three seasons his progeny will either win plenty of

middle distance races or he'll go down in history as a disappointment.

6 stakes performers from those 51 runners is a solid effort (11.7% stakes performers to runners in NZ & AUS)

A lot of work to do as obviously a lot of runners that have shown nothing though to make out the stats, so a big gap between the handy ones and the rest.

Hopefully can boost those percentages, has had big sized books and good quality so has been given every chance, up to him now.

The thing that separates Reliable Man from the rest including Ocean Park (at this stage) is that he can leave a high percentage of Stakes/Group class horses. (From one crop only)

Yes, he has to go on with it, but the majority never get to where he has got to at this stage.

Just my opinion. 

Liz

On 4/27/2018 at 6:44 AM, Huey said:

Anything coming through the pipeline for this fella,seems to have gone a bit quiet probably needs to get a wriggle on? 14 wnrs from 51 starters in Aus/NZ, Served a big book of mares last season, perhaps some bargains in the upcoming weanling sale if you like him.

The Karaka May sale of weanlings has 5 Reliable Man vs 12 Ocean Park'

Interesting when comparing these stallions (Ocean Park and Reliable Man) to Power who started the same time in NZ.

In AUS/NZ he has had 38 starters for 23 winners, including 3 stakeswinners and a further 5 stakes placegetters. 21% stakes performers to runners in NZ/AUS