RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

Manawatu track

looks like they will have to introduce a pentrometer reading for this track.Ive seen quicksand with less give in it. What happened to number9  in that last race.Did he get stuck and sink on the way round to the start or was he the only trainer who was thinking of his dogs welfare and late scratched?

It looks orrible but if the stipes say it's ok then it should be.  My only gripe is why do they always inspect the track when the dogs and handlers are on their way to the start?  Shouldn't it be done straight after a race so there's no delay?  I've seen this quite often. 

Just watched the next race.2 white dogs walked round to the start but only one white dog was there at the finish.Seemed to have a colour change in the race.Just been told im not allowed back on the computer again today.Theres a handbag the wife has to keep an eye on on trademe.

Interesting the times from the first race to the last.

Race 1 - C0 457m - Winner: Chase Ostee TIME: 26.77  (Jumped and led)

Race 12 - C4/5 457m - Winner: Cob Webber  TIME:27.08 (Came from behind)

Shouldn't be that much difference, but there was. Just found it somewhat intriguing.

Interesting the times from the first race to the last.

Race 1 - C0 457m - Winner: Chase Ostee TIME: 26.77  (Jumped and led)

Race 12 - C4/5 457m - Winner: Cob Webber  TIME:27.08 (Came from behind)

Shouldn't be that much difference, but there was. Just found it somewhat intriguing.

Difference is, with no disrespect to Chase Ostee and co, Cob Webber is a very nice dog...It's a big difference because there is a difference in speed between a dog who has won one from 10 and placed in 1, to a dog who was competitive in Australia in high graded races and having won 14 from 30, 6 in NZ, in C5.

I think what mmmyb found interesting was that Chase Ostee, who was a C0 dog, ran 5L faster than Cob Webber etc. Obviously many variables when taking times in to account. Chase Ostee was in the first race, with conditions chopping up like that you would expect them to get slower and slower. Continued rain another factor, along with Cob missing the kick and making a long sustained sprint around the outer. ( Nice win and as howrude stated, obviously a very nice dog ).

Cob Webber ran 26.09 the week before so i guess the track has slowed him up by over 16L. Im surprised  no one has commented that the track  surface was not suitable for racing.I guess it doesnt seem to matter what surface you race on.

Stipes and trainers found it to be safe.

Glen Quirk didnt, and he was allowed to scratch his dogs, with no penalty being imposed.

surely we can trust the stipes decision

Just re read my last post. Nothing against glen or anything like that. Just saying, we should be able to trust the stipes, so why complain that they shouldnt have raced on that surface.

If  you watched coverage of the races you would have seen indentations left on the track by some type of  vehicle which had been driven around an already water logged track.(maybe a small tractor).Mr Quirk clearly was concerned about his dogs safety should they have stood on this uneven surface.If you watched the races closely  it was obvious that most dogs were losing their rhythm,It being most obvious when they swung for home at the point mr quirk had indicated his concern.I wasnt there so  can only go by the pictures but what was obvious was those who continued to race didnt  show the same concern for their dogs welfare,and racing continued.If i owned a dog i would have been impressed by mr quirks actions,but im no expert.

I don't understand how the Stipe can declare the track as safe for racing to continue, yet allow a trainer to scratch penalty free.  I didn't see any racing on Monday so can't comment regarding the condition of the track but surely the Stipe's decision to allow the trainer to scratch without penalty means he wasn't entirely comfortable about the state of the track.  If that was the case, why was racing allowed to continue?  

If the Stipe was 100% sure the track was safe, he should have imposed a penalty, shouldn't he?

If a higher profile trainer had been involved (no disrespect to the actual trainer involved), I'm sure someone would be crying foul that special treatment was dished out.

I commend the trainer for scratching if he believes the track to be unsafe - presumably he would have done this regardless of whether or not a penalty was to be imposed.   

im glad your not a expert.

im one of those trainers that doesnt care about his dogs.

that would make a good tui add.

yeah right

Didnt actually mean to imply that.I meant you and others on the day continued as they had no concerns for their dogs welfare(by racing). .Maybe you could answer this question though.1)Would you call that a suitable track to race on?

I think what mmmyb found interesting was that Chase Ostee, who was a C0 dog, ran 5L faster than Cob Webber etc. Obviously many variables when taking times in to account. Chase Ostee was in the first race, with conditions chopping up like that you would expect them to get slower and slower. Continued rain another factor, along with Cob missing the kick and making a long sustained sprint around the outer. ( Nice win and as howrude stated, obviously a very nice dog ).

Sorry guys...read it wrong...

Well obviously, as they raced on it.

Trainers are concerned for the welfare of dogs, and they would scratch their dogs if they believed the track to be unsafe.

Absolutely.  The trainers are in it to make money(as well as the enjoyment factor).  If they race their dogs on a dangerous track they are risking financial security as well as the dogs welfare.