RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dustydreamnz

Callahan

In your opinion was this dog chasing hard tonight?  Dogs that win tend to be ignored by the stipes but I'm convinced he was waiting for them.  Hypotential caught up to him going at 2 to 1 then in the straight he couldn't catch him.  This dog wears blinkers and I believe has a history of this.  There seems to be an average of a dog a meeting at the moment doing this and getting away with it. 

..........but then you say he couldn't catch him...9 times out of 10, of what i have observed, they turn...If he pulled away, how can you say he wasn't chasing?? I do understand where you are coming from, but the same race, i watched, and IMO, the dog maintained a strong gallop to the line, whether Hypotential could catch or him not. Was a huge run. My wallet is doing the talking of course ;)

..........but then you say he couldn't catch him...9 times out of 10, of what i have observed, they turn...If he pulled away, how can you say he wasn't chasing?? I do understand where you are coming from, but the same race, i watched, and IMO, the dog maintained a strong gallop to the line, whether Hypotential could catch or him not. Was a huge run. My wallet is doing the talking of course ;)

Exactly, he ran strongly to the line.  Watch before that, he was waiting for them on the bend.  Seen him do this before, you can bet the stipes won't do anything.  If a dog wins apparently it can still be put out I've been informed.

In your opinion was this dog chasing hard tonight?  Dogs that win tend to be ignored by the stipes but I'm convinced he was waiting for them.  Hypotential caught up to him going at 2 to 1 then in the straight he couldn't catch him.  This dog wears blinkers and I believe has a history of this.  There seems to be an average of a dog a meeting at the moment doing this and getting away with it. 

I wouldn't screw my nose up at the 40 odd k he has earned!

Saw it too, Dusty.

Also saw Rene Ranger turn his head for the second time (at least; I missed his Futurity heat) in his last four starts. Even a non-racing-fan I was with saw it and commented. I've been a fan of the dog since I happened to catch his debut run (he was massively unlucky and looked very much above-average, so I started following him), but it wasn't great.

At least they didn't miss him this time, I suppose. Maybe they'll get Callahan next time he plays around.

I have watched the replay of callahan's race a few times now to see if he was "waiting" as you say. The dog never goes of stride, doesnt put his head up to have a look around, only thing he does is run slightly wide on the bend which he always does. Balances up and lengthns out to win, and never interfered or caused upset to another dog. He was in front at jump and in front on the bend and first to the line. improved his p.b from 17.54 to 17.37. Not bad for a dog who is 4 1/2.To me if he was "waiting" he must be pretty smart dog to do so and not do a thing wrong in 80 odd starts. Compared to some of the other  cheats and non-chasers going around he is an angel. My pockets are full!!

So you can't be put out for putting the brakes on?  I can't see how you can be that far in front and kick back and win.  This dog has been put out before and you can bet I'll be watching him closer than the stipes next time.  I'm not knocking the dogs ability-who wouldn't want to own or train a dog that had won $40k?  The trainer can obviously train too-got the big one. 

You can rest assured that you can Dusty. Bengineer was not the strongest over middle distance and one day at Waikato he was up with the leaders ran wide on the turn as he did in every start he had and ran on again for 3rd or 4th and got a holiday.

Callahan didnt handle the turn aswell as my bloke, when he balanced up straightening he was too good, dogs ran 17.37 didnt look like he was waiting to me.

Fair enough, I think he is a pretty freakish dog on ability.  We will see in upcoming starts.