RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Henri Jooste

Triple Crown contender for NZ stallion ?

Maybe judicious buying rather than luck ]

Well, the Helmsman cross is interesting with the El Gran Senor / Try My Best 'duplication'. Also interesting with the Mill Reef / Kings Bishop cross facilitating the double up of the reverse cross of Nasrullah and Princequillo, which has been very successful when duplicated in a pedigree.

The Indy King does bring a little less to the table close up, but brings a further cross of Bold Ruler, although through quite a plodding line in Posse/Bigstone.

Indy King looks a nice horse on type though, and being younger with a promising 3YO in the USA, he looks to me to be a better chance at stud and possible more commercial than Helmsman. With your mare now being a half to a Gr.1 winner, I think Indy King would be a better shot at getting her to the Select level of the sales than Helmsman so looking with marketing glasses on, I would go to Indy King, if you were limiting her to just your two stallions.

Daily Racing Form Friday 26 March

Pleasant Prince in shaky spot

By Mike Welsch

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - As of Friday, Pleasant Prince held down the all important 20th and final spot on the graded earnings list with $162,500. But with 14 more graded stakes for 3-year-olds still on the calendar leading up to the Kentucky Derby on May 1, it's not a position the Florida Derby runner-up figures to hold on to for very long.

But despite the realities of the math, owner Ken Ramsey and trainer Wesley Ward are sticking to their guns and not planning on running Pleasant Prince again prior to the Derby.

"I spoke with Mr. Ramsey back at the barn after the Florida Derby and we decided this horse's best chance to win the Kentucky Derby was to train into the race rather than squeeze another race in beforehand," Ward said Friday. "He really wants to do what's in the best interests of the horse rather than pushing him just to get into the Derby."

Ward is counting on the possibility that there could be as many defections amongst the Derby contenders currently above Pleasant Prince on the earnings list as there will be new additions following the next several weeks of Derby preps.

"Historically horses begin falling off the trail the closer you get to the Derby," said Ward. "We're just hopeful fate will come our way."

Ward plans to keep Pleasant Prince at Gulfstream at least through the middle of next week and perhaps even longer, depending upon how he's training and the availability of flights to Kentucky. Pleasant Prince will ultimately complete his final Derby preparations at Keeneland.

The screws are being applied as competition for places in the final field to make up the Kentucky Derby hot up. Pleasant Prince needs to earn more graded stakes earnings to assure his place in the Derby so he will now line up in the GR1 Blue Grass Stakes next Saturday in a bid to do so.

Pleasant Prince Works Well for Blue Grass[/QUOTE]

With Pleasant Prince stealing the limelight there are some other 3 year olds by Indy King showing promise. The latest is Supah Prince who registered his second win on Monday over a mile and seventy yards. Supah Prince broke his maiden at his third start when stepping up to a mile by 4 lengths and like Pleasant Prince showed real resolve when coming back after being headed mid stretch to win on the line on Monday. The odds on favourite Talk To Nick trailed in nine lengths adrift in third place.

Cynical Girl recently also followed up on her maiden win over a mile with a come from behind flourish to win going away over 6 furlongs. Both Supah Prince and Cynical Girl have won two from four starts. Shawhan Select yet another three year old by Indy King won over 6 and a half furlongs on March 24 and like Supah Prince recorded his second win of the season. Shawhan Selects record now reads 12 starts, 3 wins, 3 seconds, and 2 thirds.

Such is the prestige in having a runner in the Kentucky Derby that caution may be thrown to the wind in attempt to make the final field. Pleasant Prince has had his plans changed leading up to the Derby and will make his 5th start of the season in Saturdays GR1 Blue Grass Stakes. Not only is Pleasant Prince under intense pressure he also has to adjust to a foreign surface in his quest for a Kentucky Derby berth. Since 2006 Keeneland Race Track have changed over from a dirt surface to the synthetic polytrack for the running of the Blue Grass Stakes. This added factor could prove a resounding success or a disaster for Pleasant Prince. The betting public are undeterred and have installed Pleasant Prince as favourite for Saturdays $750 000 event.

Graded Earnings the Story In Blue Grass

By Jason Shandler

Bloodhorse: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:19 PM

Holding court in front of a swarm of media at the post position draw for the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (GR. 1), owner Ken Ramsey was his typical candid self when asked about his reasons for running Pleasant Prince back so soon after his heartbreaking runner-up finish in the Florida Derby (GR.1) three weeks ago.

You owe me a fiver :D I especially hunted out an informant to read your announcement.

I guess I will just have to have a go at the bonus weekend Quaddie's instead.

Bonus weekends....... what about one for the $6000 maiden races..

bazzag wrote

You owe me a fiver I especially hunted out an informant to read your announcement.I guess I will just have to have a go at the bonus weekend Quaddie's instead.

It's out the bag

Indy Kings service Fee $3500 + GST,probably around what most envisaged.

Tell you what bazzag - send a mare to Indy King and you can have the service for $3495 + GST. ;)

get a phone call Henri, I have been calling for a #13 line stallion for some time now.

There will still be quite a few new boys to weigh up first though.

But, being a breed to race person with a couple of youngsters at various stages of development in the paddock already, and stakes they way they are at present,I might give my girls a year off. Havn't decided yet.

However Henri, if we do come to Indy King, I will hold you to $3495 :D

Phar Lap Fan wrote...

Henri - what is the family no. and tap-root for Monade? Atys rang a distant bell but found him as the sire of Pan II*, the dam-sire of Zephyr Bay (Aus.).

Monade is a descendant of the number 13 family, as is Tourbillion whom Klarion her sire traces to.

Monade was a race filly of the highest class, she was champion 3yr and 4 year old filly of Europe. Rated 129 by Timeford she won 9 races(1000

Readers of The Informant would today have seen an advert advising breeders that Dalacine Farm is releasing 10 lifetime breeding rights to Indy King.

What this means is that purchasers of lifebreeding rights are entitled to a service every year for breeding life of Indy King.

The cost of entitlement to a lifebreeding right is a mere $6500 + GST. This is a one off offer and the rights will be sold on a first come first served basis.

This announcement follows last weeks disclosure of Indy King's introductory 2010 service fee of $3500 +GST.

Breeders who wish to take up the lifetime breeding rights offer can contact either Grant Irvine or myself.

Grant Irvine : 06 357 8782 or 06 356 3453 A/H mobile 0274 578 782

Henri Jooste : 021 524440

How depesperate do owners and trainers become to have what for many is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to have a horse good enough to "run for the roses" on the first Saturday in May ?

In the case of the Pleasant Prince it would seem that trainer Ken Ramsey will leave no stone unturned. In Pleasant Prince he has a horse that on pedigree and racing style would be a genuine hope of winning the Belmont Stakes yet in his desperartion to make the Kentucky Derby field Ramsey could scuttle Pleasant Princes chances through over racing him and even risking him to injury.

No matter what the outcome the saga of Pleasant Prince has been fascinating and added interest from a NZ perspective on this years Kentucky Derby. It has also served to underline the merit and potential his sire Indy King possesses.

Ramsey: Pleasant Prince to Derby Trial

Bloodhorse

By Evan Hammonds

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:34 PM

Ken Ramsey reported April 16 that Pleasant Prince will start in the April 24 The Cliff

When Pleasant Prince finished downfield in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday it ended a chapter of what may have been a fairy tale. If ever an example for the appreciation of craft in the field of training thoroughbred horses is needed for a case study then surely the fortunes of two three year old horses Ice Box and Pleasant Prince would be good material.

Both Ice Box and Pleasant Prince had similar backgrounds starting out as three year olds, in pedigree and racing performance. Ice Box and Pleasant Prince were by sires that were sons of A.P. Indy out daughters of Mr Prospector. Both horses had stamina influences on their distaff side indicating that they would develop into classic contenders and both had won as two year olds and on the strength of that form their connections had Triple Crown aspirations for them. They even looked very similar in physique. There was one major difference between them that would ultimately define their season