RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Henri Jooste

Triple Crown contender for NZ stallion ?

Last seasons 2 year old winner Pleasant Prince is on the Triple Crown trail. On Saturday new Dalacine Farm stallion Indy King's son Pleasant Prince making his second appearance as a three year old ran a highly creditable 4th in the important Kentucky Derby prep race, the Fountain of Youth Stakes GR2 at Gulfstream.

Only a length and three quarters seperated second, third and fourth placed horses at the finish. Winner Eskendereya confirmed his promise as a leading Kentucky Derby hopeful with a convincing victory from a strong field of stakes class contenders. The colateral form would indicate an exciting stakes career ahead for Indy King's son Pleasant Prince who finished strongly for fourth place behind runners up Jackson Bend (2nd GR2 Holy Bull Stakes) and Aikenite (twice second at GR1 level as a 2yr old - Breeders Futurity GR1, Hopeful Stakes GR1). Horses beaten by Pleasnt Prince in the Fountain Of Youth Stakes included race favourite Buddy's Saint (winner of GR2 Remsen S, and GR2 Nashua S), Pulsion (2nd GR1 Norfolk S). Given his style of racing Pleasant Prince may well develop into a serious Belmont candidate come June this year.

Pleasant Prince will add interest to the build up to the Kentucky Derby and the Triple Crown this year for New Zealanders following the series.

Would be good to have a few horses for him perform at the higher stakes level - so I wish you all the luck.

Anything else coming up in the higher ranks of racing, in Kentucky for example?

Any how are the bookings coming along. Only Feb, but is there much interest coming along?

Woodbine, Theysay and Matt thanks for the acknowledgement and interest. Have just returned from Perth (where the heat has been relentless) hence my delayed respose to your posts.

Woodbine how is the old boy Dance Floor doing ? You are correct the Fountain Of Youth Stakes is an important lead up race for the classics as can be seen by past winners and placed horses in the race. Four previous winners that went on to win two legs of the triple crown included the Kentucky Derby winners Spectacular Bid, Tim Tam, Kauai King and Thunder Gulch. Other good winners of the Fountain Of Youth also included Forty Niner and Dehere.

Matt wrote

Would be good to have a few horses for him perform at the higher stakes level - so I wish you all the luck. Anything else coming up in the higher ranks of racing, in Kentucky for example ?Any how are the bookings coming along. Only Feb, but is there much interest coming along ?

Matt to answer your question re other good ones coming through the ranks - there are a few promising types including the lightly raced I Am The King who ran a creditable 4th in a stakes race on Boxing Day behind some smart stakes horses. The winner Harlan Street (by Street Cry) is a multiple stakes winner whilst the runner up Ravalo is a graded stakes winner of 8 stakes races and also has a 2nd in a GR1 to his credit. I Am The King looks likely to become a stakes winner.

Indy King had four individual 2 year old winners last season from ten starters. Besides Pleasant Prince these included Cynical Girl who won by more than four lengths on her third start when stepping up to a mile and Shawhan Select who has resumed this season as a three year old with a first up second followed by a facile win next time out. Interestingly Pleasant Prince is Kentucky based whilst some are Florida based.

As far as interest goes - yes there has been a number of enquiries already, more than we have had at this stage with Gone For Real and Helmsman in previous seasons.

Theysay - the distance of the Fountain of Youth Stakes is a mile and one eighth (1700m).

In the post above I mentioned Cynical Girl as well as Shawhan Select. Both have raced during the week, Cynical Girl followed up her last start 4 length win as a two year old with a successful seasonal debut over 6 furlongs. Her record now reads 4 starts 2 wins. Shawhan Select ran second beaten just short of the post over 6.5 furlongs.

I Am The King resumes on Sunday in a five and a half furlong Allowance Race.

I Am The King made a sensational return to the track yesterday with a runaway 7 3/4 length win in an Allowance race over five and a half furlongs. His career record now reads 7 starts for 3 wins and a second placing as well as a 4th in a listed stakes race on Boxing Day.

I see there's a bit of a Kiwi connection with I am the King having a second dam by Strawberry Road.

Interesting 3x4 cross to Secretariat as well.

If this chap goes on to stronger company and maybe even grade class, it could be a cross worth looking into especially with the Secretariat Sir Gaylord genes in the NZ thoroughbreds.

You are onto it Matt ! A lot of thought went into the purchase of Indy King in terms of suitability with the local broodmare population. Not only should he make an ideal consort with mares with Sir Tristram (Sir Gaylord ) in his pedigree, he is also Northern Dancer free.

It is worth noting that his best daughter Mindy Queen an Oaks winner in Canada by 9

I must admit I don't follow American racing a whole lot, but Pleasant Tap is a name that pops up a lot whenever i do browse through American results.

A couple of years back I thought if A.I. was ever to come in, there was a sire I would have a crack at.

Im a more than a little surprised some of his blood has not found its way to our shores.

Good luck Henri, does Dalcine have a website.

Very nice tie up though of 3/4 sisters Lassie Dear and Sooni as well as Blushing Groom and Dona Ysidra involving Wild Risk/Nasrullah. In behind is reinforcement of Nasrullah and the 1x lines of La Tropienne. Like his pedigree very much.

Bazzag I have to agree with you, I also like the presence of Pleasant Tap and what he represents. IMHO Ribot is a most desireable ancestor in pedigrees. Pleasant Tap has been a very good racehorse and underestimated sire. Unfortunately breeders, particularly "commercial " breeders have no interest in standing Ribot line sires. A sire such as Denon in Australia may have been better off to have stood at stud in NZ. Keeper with his double of His Majesty looks a good broodmare sire in the making.

I forgot to add Henri... It is interesting to not the lack of line breeding in the first 5 removes of Pleasant Prince.

Pleasant Prince may not on first glance appear to have much line-breeding, however at the 4th remove there are a number La Troienne decendants in the form of My Charmer, Buckpasser and Never Hula . Then there is of course also the presence of Missy Baba (6x4) just behind the pedigree. This was a well thought out and designed pedigree which has resulted a horse with real ability in the form of Pleasant Prince.

Rich - the Blushing Groom connection is an interesting one for local breeders. Stravinsky carries the Blushing Groom over Mr Prospector cross whilst Indy King carries it in a reverse manner ie Mr Prospector x Blushing Groom. Mindy Queen the stakes winning daughter of Indy King is out a mare by Awesome Again whose dam Primal Force is bred on the Blushing Groom x Mr Prospector cross.

Have just watched the GR1 Florida Derby live online. Pleasant Prince ran second beaten by a nostril on the line by Ice Box. Race Favourite Rule was a well beaten third with Barbaro's brother Lentenor in fourth.

Congratulations Henri and Grant!! What a fantastic result for you.

So, are you waiting for after the Kentucky Derby before announcing the stud fee for 2010? :)

Matt and John thank you for the good wishes.

Naturally we are thrilled with the developments. At this stage we are not getting ahead of ourselves and will let the dust settle before we commit ourselves. Indy King is attracting attention and interest both locally and in the USA.

This has been a very good weekend for Dalacine Farm, not only did Pleasant Prince deliver, the farm also had the satisfaction in the knowledge that Headminder (by Bigstone) one of the mares bought from Highview Stud at the 2007 Autumn Mixed Bloodstock sale is a half sister to Keep the Peace. Headminder is the dam of a eye catching Gone For Real daughter.

That's some good luck. With all respect, she wouldn't have cost a lot so she would have taken a significant boost in value.

So who's she going to this year - Helmsman or Indy King?

That's some good luck. With all respect, she wouldn't have cost a lot so she would have taken a significant boost in value.So who's she going to this year - Helmsman or Indy King?

Maybe judicious buying rather than luck ;) Interesting question you pose Matt - Headminder suits both stallions on paper so factors such as conformation need to be considered. On purely a pedigree match which way would you go Matt ?

Very interesting thread Henri. Indy King sounds very exciting. When he comes to NZ will he be here permanently or will he be a shuttle stallion?

Lulu - Indy King will be based in NZ and there is no intention to shuttle.

For those that may be interested here is the latest information on Pleasant Prince published by the Florida Thoroughbred Breeders Association. Pleasant Prince was of course bred by Adena Springs's Florida operation.

Pleasant Prince headed to Derby after big effort

Monday 22 March , 2010 15:00 Nick Fortuna FTBOA

Could it be that Awesome Act isn