RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dustydreamnz

How many chances would you...

give a greyhound to win?  I guess it depends whether it is showing anything at the trials.  There is a dog racing at Wanganui today that has had 13 starts for no placings.  I remember being at Hutt Park once, there was a dog that broke through in maidens trained by Leila Fornasiere at start 50!

I think there's one going around that had 75 starts for a number of placings. Can't remember the name. 

Intense Zoom?  I guess it's worth it if you're running regular placings.  We had a dog that couldn't win in c1 but kept running 2nd or 3rd and in the end we didn't want it to win as we knew it would get harder!

Intense Zoom?  I guess it's worth it if you're running regular placings.  We had a dog that couldn't win in c1 but kept running 2nd or 3rd and in the end we didn't want it to win as we knew it would get harder!

We had one too. Had 2 wins and 1 distance win. Still in class1, and did 32 placings. 

Depends whether you race a dog for fun or a living 

Fun, you can have as many starts as you like, if its a hobby

For a living, we used to give a dog 7 starts to win its maiden otherwise we sold them and freed up a kennel - maidens are sometimes hard races to win as the pups are inexperienced and can get into a fair but of trouble 

Depends whether you race a dog for fun or a living 

Fun, you can have as many starts as you like, if its a hobby

For a living, we used to give a dog 7 starts to win its maiden otherwise we sold them and freed up a kennel - maidens are sometimes hard races to win as the pups are inexperienced and can get into a fair but of trouble 

Our limit was 10 starts, but as you say, maidens are hard to win.

Most dogs I have had have won there first start, fortunately. But I had one that won his qually trial in 18.57 Auck, faster than c5 dogs that day and could solo trial like a c5 dog over any distance up to 520 and then had 8 starts before winning a maiden, then had a total of 23 starts 1 win, 4 2nds, 1 3rd, thats not fun or finnacially viable, lol. over 20 months.  No one wouldnt want many dogs like this fella was, breaks ones heart, lol. :rolleyes:

Most dogs I have had have won there first start, fortunately. But I had one that won his qually trial in 18.57 Auck, faster than c5 dogs that day and could solo trial like a c5 dog over any distance up to 520 and then had 8 starts before winning a maiden, then had a total of 23 starts 1 win, 4 2nds, 1 3rd, thats not fun or finnacially viable, lol. over 20 months.  No one wouldnt want many dogs like this fella was, breaks ones heart, lol. :rolleyes:

Yep, we had one that would trial a tick over 30 secs over 520m at Wanganui but couldn't win in c1/2 because he wouldn't run past dogs, had to lead from the boxes!  Tried different trainers, sprinting him, different diet/training methods, everything we could think of.  We gave up after around 30 starts and he became a pet, being a good looking dog counts for something. 

man oh man, 76 starts for 23 seconds and 21 thirds, stakes of $8396.25. Still in Maidens

I don't want to knock a greyhound but Man Oh Man is one of the worst non-chasers in recent memory.  How on earth it was allowed to start 76 times is beyond me and actually a little bit disappointing from the perspective of the repute of the industry.

It had too much ability to have stayed a maiden chaser, so it's a bit different to the dogs who continue to be raced even though they don't have the talent to compete in C0.

No worries Fernlea, I like what you said.  Our stipes need to wake up. As usual the odd mistake or miss I can appreciate but there are too many howlers and that dog was a fine example.  You're right, the dog did have a fair bit of speed so I too am not knocking the dogs ability.