RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
optical

Service Fees

Ok, I might be a bit behind the times but I seem to remember people posting about "taking a bath at karaka" "poor sale at karaka" " hard to make a profit at Karaka" however, all I read from the studs is

A. Stallion fee rise for 2013

B Stallion fee staying same

Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen any stallion decrease in value as yet in 2013 and I think a bigger deal needs to be made of this. This suggests a degree of ignorance to me from the studs who seem to quickly forget the results at Karaka. There are some struggling breeders out there and these increases are not helping matters. Some increases are somewhat justified, however, others are not (I will let you be the judge there). I saw one announced the other day that has had his fee increased by 100%!

New stallions coming in standing at radical amounts. How is the average Joe Blogs going to make a dollar these days? the industry is showing to be big stud driven (which it should be) and they are only getting bigger, but is there a need for the service fees to be so high? A move with the markets strategy needs to be applied I believe. Already it shows there is a drop in broodmare numbers this year I wonder if this will keep plummeting with fees continuing to rise.

Iffraaj announced at $15k down from $17.5k and off the back of good performances.

This seems responsible defendable and admirable.....

Disclaimer: I won't be breeding one this season.

Iffraaj announced at $15k down from $17.5k and off the back of good performances.

This seems responsible defendable and admirable.....

Disclaimer: I won't be breeding one this season.

Yes sorry there are a few, might of shot the gun too early while I was going through the stallions whilst throwing the cellphone at the wall. My point exactly below in your disclaimer. The way things are going you are better going to the sales and purchasing the one that you want and let the breeder take the risks knowing that you will come out ahead once you have brought and probably got a nice type with pedigree and let some other breeder go home with burnt fingers.

"Yes sorry there are a few, might of shot the gun too early while I was going through the stallions whilst throwing the cellphone at the wall. My point exactly below in your disclaimer. The way things are going you are better going to the sales and purchasing the one that you want and let the breeder take the risks knowing that you will come out ahead once you have brought and probably got a nice type with pedigree and let some other breeder go home with burnt ".........

If everyone does that the price of yearlings etc will rise.....supply and demand. Take the right type to the sales and you make money....if you can keep your costs down and have enough pedigree....

In my view don't breed a horse you can afford to buy....breed one that if its a lovely type you wouldn't be able to afford at the sales...

Hey just my view.

"Yes sorry there are a few, might of shot the gun too early while I was going through the stallions whilst throwing the cellphone at the wall. My point exactly below in your disclaimer. The way things are going you are better going to the sales and purchasing the one that you want and let the breeder take the risks knowing that you will come out ahead once you have brought and probably got a nice type with pedigree and let some other breeder go home with burnt ".........

If everyone does that the price of yearlings etc will rise.....supply and demand. Take the right type to the sales and you make money....if you can keep your costs down and have enough pedigree....

In my view don't breed a horse you can afford to buy....breed one that if its a lovely type you wouldn't be able to afford at the sales...

Hey just my view.

But this is the problem Dopey, people who were breeding to sell are getting chased out of the game by service fees. Not everyone breeds to race...Some people have to sell at sales to pay a few bills.

But this is the problem Dopey, people who were breeding to sell are getting chased out of the game by service fees. Not everyone breeds to race...Some people have to sell at sales to pay a few bills.

I'm one of them....

So you either pay the service or don't. Who cares whether you are breeding to race or sell it is your problem. If you are breeding to race get over it. If you can't afford the service fee you want get out of the industry. It is not the stud farms issue. They set the fees and live by them. Go searching for a stallion owner who does not want to use their service nom. It is not a difficult concept to get or is it????? 

So you either pay the service or don't. Who cares whether you are breeding to race or sell it is your problem. If you are breeding to race get over it. If you can't afford the service fee you want get out of the industry. It is not the stud farms issue. They set the fees and live by them. Go searching for a stallion owner who does not want to use their service nom. It is not a difficult concept to get or is it????? 

Very Naïve and short sighted opinion! In every industry (or should I say most) adapt to the market conditions. I agree that the man putting up the stallion deserves to set the service fee and it is his prerogative to set where he see's fit, however, this needs to be fair and correlating with market conditions otherwise the market will dry up and there will be no further market apart from big studs getting bigger and the smaller breeder no longer exist.

What about Mettre en Jeu? No one expected to see them coming out until early 3yo's but already he has had two impressive trialists, one of which had his first start in the castletown stakes! Trainers love them, but because of tough times his service fee is dropping to $2000 this season to help out breeders.