RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mike Martin

Derby

Great post Mike. I think we have "covered some ground" in such a short amount of time.

It is going to be a great race tonight, all the best to all connections involved with each runner. My money is on the 1 but in a race with a lot of early speed, anything can happen.

I think its both Mike.

It is getting exspensive to import, and there isnt alot in aussie for most owners budgets, so NZ breeding is on the rise as there is now a bigger market for it. I think that its more exciting to watch dogs from little puppies to race dogs on the track, and also watching their parents race. Hopefully it continues.

Good luck tonight Mike and Linda.

Also, good luck to the other runners and their connections. :-)

I wonder out there if anyone would have an interest in purchasing dogs out of Ireland? Having trained in Ireland for many years and although only fresh here in NZ and hearing about many people buying dogs out of Australia then paying freight etc i do wonder whether anyone would be interested in buying from Ireland. I have looked at the price of dogs in Australia compared to dogs in Ireland. I certainly think you get a better value dog from Ireland then Australia but thats just my opinion.

In Ireland there are racing sales on twice a month for which you can pick up some good bargains and very young. I remember a bitch i had i bought from Cork Sales back in 2005 i specifically drove all the way down from Donegal to Cork which is an 8 hour drive give or take to buy this bitch who had 3 starts for 2 wins and 1 third on her race card. Me thinking that i would probably be paying at least 3000 euros for this bitch so i made sure i had plenty of cash in my wallet. I watched her run in the sales trial and she won that by 5 lengths. When the bidding started for this bitch no one really bid for her because in Ireland people are more interested in dogs not bitches, so i snapped her up for a song of only 350 euros for an 18 month old bitch who already proved her worth. This bitch won me the breeders cup in Derry.

I ended up driving back up to Donegal with 4 dogs instead as since i still had plenty of money still in the pocket i bought a few more. This was just not beginners luck picking up a handy bitch because many dogs i bought from the sales turned out winners on the track.

I just wonder would anyone out there buy from Ireland?

Cheftrevor

Just so people in the dog world hear in lovely New Zealand know. A top A1 Open class dog in Ireland you can pick up for around 1500 to 3000 Euros. Yes there are many on the sites for 10 to 15k but really you don't need to spend that type of money on a handy performer.

A1 is equivalent to C5 NZ

Don't know where you got that quote from as i was quoted $6500 for my dog that will be coming over later this year after he competes in Irish Derby. You bring them over as a normal pet etc as long as they are micro chipped and have pet passport when they leave Ireland. 30 days quarantine i was told.

It is good to see all the NZ breds, that's one of the few areas we are making ground in.  There is alota early pace as you say and the heat times were so similar so it's field in the treble for me.

Great result, was never a 3 dog race.  One thing I've got right recently.  Carolyn Hore could train a great dane to win at the moment.

Don't know where you got that quote from as i was quoted $6500 for my dog that will be coming over later this year after he competes in Irish Derby. You bring them over as a normal pet etc as long as they are micro chipped and have pet passport when they leave Ireland. 30 days quarantine i was told.

But i may be wrong as officials and pricing changing all the time

I wonder out there if anyone would have an interest in purchasing dogs out of Ireland? Having trained in Ireland for many years and although only fresh here in NZ and hearing about many people buying dogs out of Australia then paying freight etc i do wonder whether anyone would be interested in buying from Ireland. I have looked at the price of dogs in Australia compared to dogs in Ireland. I certainly think you get a better value dog from Ireland then Australia but thats just my opinion.

In Ireland there are racing sales on twice a month for which you can pick up some good bargains and very young. I remember a bitch i had i bought from Cork Sales back in 2005 i specifically drove all the way down from Donegal to Cork which is an 8 hour drive give or take to buy this bitch who had 3 starts for 2 wins and 1 third on her race card. Me thinking that i would probably be paying at least 3000 euros for this bitch so i made sure i had plenty of cash in my wallet. I watched her run in the sales trial and she won that by 5 lengths. When the bidding started for this bitch no one really bid for her because in Ireland people are more interested in dogs not bitches, so i snapped her up for a song of only 350 euros for an 18 month old bitch who already proved her worth. This bitch won me the breeders cup in Derry.

I ended up driving back up to Donegal with 4 dogs instead as since i still had plenty of money still in the pocket i bought a few more. This was just not beginners luck picking up a handy bitch because many dogs i bought from the sales turned out winners on the track.

I just wonder would anyone out there buy from Ireland?

Cheftrevor

Hi, This has been tried recently in Victoria by two Irish trainers that moved over there, the most notable being Tom O'donovan, he bought a couple over from memory, Simple Class being one that comes to mind. Also a fella Anthony Hyde took a bitch, Dunbro Lilly and two pups over, Dunbro Royale and Dunbro jess. Lilly whom had won many races in Ireland battled about and won a Tier 3 race there. The biggest problem they faced with bringing them over was getting them fit and used to southern hemisphere racing. 

I cant exactly remember how long Quarantine was but that was a must. Simple Class took a long time to recover from his trip. His 1st trial over 400m at Geelong was going pretty good time until the 300m mark when he 'stopped like he was shot'. next trial over the 400 just saw it out and this was how he trialed for quiet a while. As you can see if you check out his profile it took just over 4 months to get to the race track from his last race in Ireland. ( a long time for such an expensive investment imo). Another problem i see with importing Irish racers is the lure being on the inside rail. Both time Tom an Tony said their dogs struggled with this for a start. 

Anyway thats just my thoughts on the idea, but hope that gives you and others some examples to look at. 

Cheers

Hi, This has been tried recently in Victoria by two Irish trainers that moved over there, the most notable being Tom O'donovan, he bought a couple over from memory, Simple Class being one that comes to mind. Also a fella Anthony Hyde took a bitch, Dunbro Lilly and two pups over, Dunbro Royale and Dunbro jess. Lilly whom had won many races in Ireland battled about and won a Tier 3 race there. The biggest problem they faced with bringing them over was getting them fit and used to southern hemisphere racing. 

I cant exactly remember how long Quarantine was but that was a must. Simple Class took a long time to recover from his trip. His 1st trial over 400m at Geelong was going pretty good time until the 300m mark when he 'stopped like he was shot'. next trial over the 400 just saw it out and this was how he trialed for quiet a while. As you can see if you check out his profile it took just over 4 months to get to the race track from his last race in Ireland. ( a long time for such an expensive investment imo). Another problem i see with importing Irish racers is the lure being on the inside rail. Both time Tom an Tony said their dogs struggled with this for a start. 

Anyway thats just my thoughts on the idea, but hope that gives you and others some examples to look at. 

Cheers

Dogs in Ireland and England get use to the inside hare very easy as the flapping tracks have proven in the Northern hemisphere. The Flapping racing in the northern hemisphere is run on a inside hare. This racing is unofficial racing but gives the owner to set there dog up for a gamble as most bookies are at the track. Those dogs you mentioned were only ordinary dogs that previously before coming over were running in what i would call not that great of class.

Many dogs that are sold abroad from Ireland head to Sweden where their is inside hare racing and they adapt perfectly. This is just my assumption. I have even taken two of my dogs from Ireland to the Swedish Derby and they adapted very well. Never won the Derby as had to pull me good dog out in the end as he sprung a toe.

For me if a dog is a genuine chaser he will chase no matter what track he races on and adapts to it very quickly.

Just my thoughts