RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

B MARTIN, where art thou?

Please, someone come on here and tell us what is happening with the best greyhound commentator in NZ ? Or is this still an ongoing ' employment issue ', even tho he hasn't worked for over 4 months?

CENTRAL DISTRICTS GREYHOUND RACING NEEDS YOU BRIAN !

Friday nights just aren't the same!!!!!

One of the great loss's to the industry if we never get to enjoy his commentaries again ( Which is looking more and more likely. ) 

On behalf of one of your many fans Brian, i hope all is well and thank you for alot of great memories listening to your commentaries, you can bring excitement to a C0 sprint race that other commentators in NZ could only wish of doing. 

Yes, this call was probably my favourite moment in racing.  I remember at the time I was yelling from upstairs and my family downstairs thought it was an earthquake before realising, 'oh it's only a greyhound race'.  I played the race back to them and they couldn't stop watching it and talking about it.  What this guy has done for greyhound racing is not easily described. 

Brian's employment with TAB was terminated a week or so again, can't say much more as there are still more legal proceedings. I know this sounds like zzz's mass murderer but I have learned one main thing from all this. TAB are a are a self centred lot who work from a monopolistic (?  is there such a word) base that will change the rules, shift the goalposts and ignore natural justice to get their way.

I have said on here before what we need is an integrity unit and I reiterate that point. The other is some competition for the TAB. They would have to up their game in the face of another option instead of dealing in mediocrity.

Cheers Mike

It's an absolute tragedy. Watching those races and those fantastic calls - epic. 

It's really helped me cut down on my gambling spend which is a silver lining for me but it's such a shame.

I just hope Brian is able to move to Oz to continue his career. He's got 25 years in him yet. Would love to see that

Brian's employment with TAB was terminated a week or so again, can't say much more as there are still more legal proceedings. I know this sounds like zzz's mass murderer but I have learned one main thing from all this. TAB are a are a self centred lot who work from a monopolistic (?  is there such a word) base that will change the rules, shift the goalposts and ignore natural justice to get their way.

I have said on here before what we need is an integrity unit and I reiterate that point. The other is some competition for the TAB. They would have to up their game in the face of another option instead of dealing in mediocrity.

Cheers Mike

Mike

Thanks for the update , it is a real shame it has ended this way. So what is next for Brian now job wise?? Is there an opportunity in Oz for him or does he have to change career paths altogther??

Only one way to describe the videos of Swift Fantasy is simply amazing. This is why i think staying races are the best

Lady(swift fantasy) has just finished giving birth to 10 healthy pups sired by overflo,she handled it like her racing style relaxed.

Mike I have no knowledge of the circumstances surroundings Brian's problem, and my earlier 'wind up' was just intercode banter.

What I do know is that the TAB, and in particular Trackside, does have a history of marginalizing anyone who doesn't comply or behave in a subservient manner, within our code Tony Lee springs to mind, so if Brian has been another victim of that policy I sympathise with him.

No one is perfect in this game, and charisma and talent, the X factor, is a precious commodity. Brian clearly had the X factor, but those who've determined his fate almost certainly don't. Therein lies your problem. Good luck in resolving it.

The best post you've ever made that is.

The best post you've ever made that is.

Mike I have no knowledge of the circumstances surroundings Brian's problem, and my earlier 'wind up' was just intercode banter.

What I do know is that the TAB, and in particular Trackside, does have a history of marginalizing anyone who doesn't comply or behave in a subservient manner, within our code Tony Lee springs to mind, so if Brian has been another victim of that policy I sympathise with him.

No one is perfect in this game, and charisma and talent, the X factor, is a precious commodity. Brian clearly had the X factor, but those who've determined his fate almost certainly don't. Therein lies your problem. Good luck in resolving it.

Thanks for that zzz, I knew where you were coming from no hard feelings

Congrats Lady/Kathy/Steve..trust all 10 Pups make it to The Track,and get to grace The Winner's Dais.

Maybe in a couple of seasons time The AGRC Track Record 987m held by Silver Collar Winner Aqua Mouse will be broken!!

Cheers,Pilli. :D

Congrats Lady/Kathy/Steve..trust all 10 Pups make it to The Track,and get to grace The Winner's Dais.

Maybe in a couple of seasons time The AGRC Track Record 987m held by Silver Collar Winner Aqua Mouse will be broken!!

Cheers,Pilli. :D

Hope you are right Pilli, i would love to see her record broken, and wouldn't it be great if it came from one of Fantasy's pups. Problem is most of the wofter pups being produced these days are weak and lucky to see out 300 mtrs let alone a 1000.

Back to the subject. So Brian Martin has been sacked, what a bunch of tossers and ego trippers the hierarchy are at Trackside TV are. Anybody with talent appears to get chopped at the knees by this bunch of losers. Mick Gurien, Tony Lee, even dare i say  zzz zzzzz who was far and away the most interesting character on the now defunct Saturday Thoroughbred show. Really Trackside TV is dysfunctional and the sooner the contract for televising racing is given to an outside broadcaster such as Sky the better of we will be.

Lol I had to laugh when Brian's replacement Daryll Robinson got asked for his tip in the derby tomorrow. But Daryll hadn't looked at the fields and couldn't name a dog in the race apart from saying "Im sure Karen Walsh will have a strong hand in it"...She's got one runner.

Now I know it's not his job to have anything to do with the meeting tomorrow but you would think he would have enough passion for the industry to atleast keep an eye on other greyhound racing in NZ, it's a G1 race and the fields been out for 5 days. I'm sure Brian probably could have named the field off the back of his head! I think we all know who he'd be picking! (Magico).

The attitude and passion for the industry is reflected in the commentary. One loves it and the other does it to make a living! IMO.

Had a chat to Johnny McDermott at Gosford last night about race calling ranks here is Sydney (he calls all the Newcastle regional dog races)

He said it was hard for caller to get a start at the moment due to TVN / Sky Channel negotiations ongoing so no one knows whether they will have a job until that is sorted (a merger will see a few callers out of jobs)

Would love for Mike to head to Aus to call the dogs - would be a great success !!!

Had a chat to Johnny McDermott at Gosford last night about race calling ranks here is Sydney (he calls all the Newcastle regional dog races)

He said it was hard for caller to get a start at the moment due to TVN / Sky Channel negotiations ongoing so no one knows whether they will have a job until that is sorted (a merger will see a few callers out of jobs)

Would love for Mike to head to Aus to call the dogs - would be a great success !!!

mike who

Yeah Hedley, and having two raving presenters doesn't help either. What on Earth does Whelan bring to the presentation ?

Showing her walking alongside a handler asking questions was a sight...pigeon toed sandal wearing presenters not a good look...;)

..trying to 'showcase' the meeting i guess., it's strenuous stuff for the viewer ..when the questions asked of forepersons accepting the win on behalf of the absent trainer are; "...and where do you think the dog'll go next "...and the hapless lady replys; "..oh i don't know about those things " or similar :(

..poor lady., she was daunted enough being interviewed..without That 'hospital pass'

Elizabeth elocutes well though, and she Can improve to 'fit the bill'..but it just didn't gel tonight though.

Just picture, imagine and reCall..if Brian'd been calling there tonight with the racing we Saw!, he'd've made it sound the most exciting meeting ever Held there :)  . . ."spine~tingling" comes to mind

"Love ya like a Brother BRIAN..and the very biggest brother you were ;) "

Amazingly almost a year later Sth Australian race caller Hilton Donaldson has been stood down by Sky Channel, for an indifferent call, not up to his usual standards.

Speaking of Sth Australia there is a young caller who calls the South Australian provincial greyhounds (Chris Buttergieg_) every time I hear him call I am reminded of B Martin, his calls are colourful, although muddled at times, with time and experience he no doubt will make it into the bigger smoke (city)

Best commentator by far, enough said really. The big races just aint the same without his excitement throughout his calls. Magnificant, a huge loss for sure!

its time we moved on from this ,     the points ,,  are all ways going to be was he fairly dismissed and was he drinking on the night