RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Ocean Park

Ocean Park secured by Waikato Stud 15 April 2013, 4:24 p.m.

Waikato Stud has added further Group One firepower to their stallion roster with Ocean Park to take up residence at the Chittick family’s Matamata nursery.

The son of Thorn Park is their second major signing of 2013 with the earlier announcement of Gr.1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas winner Rock ‘N’ Pop joining an already formidable line-up.

Ocean Park is now the second Gr.1 Cox Plate winner on the team and will stand alongside the 2004 Moonee Valley hero Savabeel, who has gone on to outstanding stud success, and champion Waikato Stud servants O’Reilly and Pins.

Backed by support from New Zealand’s major breeders, Mark Chittick completed the deal over the weekend to purchase Ocean Park with the owners of the five time Group One winner happy to see the stallion remain in New Zealand.

“Horses the calibre of Ocean Park don’t come along every day, and when they do you have to do all you can to secure them,” Chittick said.

“These are the horses that are the next chapter for New Zealand’s breeding industry and this is why we were wonderfully supported by many of New Zealand’s leading breeders in our quest to get him. We could not have struck this deal without them.

“In his five Group One wins alone he beat 29 individual Group One winners, who have won an amazing 67 Group One races.”

Prepared by Gary Hennessy, Ocean Park won at the highest level from 1400 to 2040 metres with top honours in the Cox Plate, the Caulfield Stakes, the Underwood Stakes, the Makfi Challenge Stakes and the New Zealand Stakes.

The Trelawney Stud-bred colt won eight races from 15 starts to earn $A2,799,817 for owners Andrew Wong, Stephen Yan and Hennessy,  who have retained an interest.

“It’s been a fabulous ride with him and we are so pleased to have struck a deal with Waikato Stud, who are literally just down the road from me, Hennessy said. “I know he’ll get every chance under their management,” Hennessy said.

Out of the Zabeel mare Sayyida, Ocean Park hails from one of New Zealand’s most successful female families that features O’Reilly within its ranks.

“Ocean Park fits beautifully within the stud’s sire selection criteria and comes from a proven family that Waikato Stud has already enjoyed tremendous success with,” Chittick said. “Add to this, the fact that he is a Cox Plate winner, as was our sire Savabeel, and you can pretty quickly see why we were just so keen to retain him for New Zealand’s sire ranks.

“In light of his outstanding race record and pedigree, Ocean Park will stand at Waikato Stud this season for NZ$30,000 plus GST.”

As noted in the press release OP comes from the same female as O'Reilly. Waikato stud will a few paddocks full of his mares. On paper it would a great match with many other aspects of OP's pedigree matching well with O'Reilly.

Just on another note

$NZ30000 for a first season sire in NZ

Would not be too many that have started at that range would there?

P.s I am not saying he is not worth it , just interested in the stat

Just on another note

$NZ30000 for a first season sire in NZ

Would not be too many that have started at that range would there?

P.s I am not saying he is not worth it , just interested in the stat

Darci Brahma started off at that fee.

Sorry but Darci did start off at 30k. He was 20k this year. Wikipedia can confirm the 30k.

I think Savabeel kicked off at 30k too!

And Alamosa also started of at an advertised fee of 30k or close to it although I don't know who would have been silly enough to pay it.

Having said that about Alamosa he was back to 12.5k this year and is doing very well.

I predict a bright future for him. His star is on the rise that is for sure.

Alamosa started at $27,500 which as you say, is close to $30k. He was at $12,500 last season and I am very glad my mare is in foal to him.

I think Ocean Park ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned, personally. I just wish I could afford that sort of fee.

I would like to congratulate Waikato stud. They have been rewarded by reinvesting into the industry. They are the leaders by a long way with owning their stallions and being able to reap the rewards and loyal clients can send mares to them with the knowledge that they can go back to the stallion the following year unlike the uncertainty of shuttle stallions. I am an onlooker and have no association with the stud but like their long term strategy towards the industry.