RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Huw Taylor

Ocean Park Retired

George Simon mentioned on the First Call the retirement from racing of OP as a result of an injury sustained in Dubai. Whilst accepting that living in the CD is a bit like living under a rock, had I missed any official announcement?

George Simon mentioned on the First Call the retirement from racing of OP as a result of an injury sustained in Dubai. Whilst accepting that living in the CD is a bit like living under a rock, had I missed any official announcement?

Such a shame to go out in that fashion.

Couldn't see any official mention of retirement in the last few days. Any mention of where he might stand?

Yes, it is a shame.  The second four year old to be retired in just over a week.  What is it with these young stallions?.  Don't they breed them tough anymore?

No  not     like     the old days      those were the days they were

Guest 2Admin2

What - 6 o'clock closing, crankup party lines, dickie seats and only 2 murters a year ! ;)

Yep and they paid in legs of lamb

One would think Windsor Park would be at the head of the queue, wouldn't you?? 

Next best thing after losing a top sire would be to stand his well performed son. You may very well be right Lloyd. I wonder whether Trelawney might chase a share in him too.

Well Cambridge Stud only has four on the roster...... would be nice if he could stay in NZ but they'll be chasing over the ditch!

Will not be at Cambridge Stud - new stallion announcement soon - European horse.

From the NZTM site....

Ocean Park secured by Waikato Stud 15 April 2013, 4:24 p.m.

Waikato Stud has added further Group One firepower to their stallion roster with Ocean Park to take up residence at the Chittick family’s Matamata nursery.

The son of Thorn Park is their second major signing of 2013 with the earlier announcement of Gr.1 New Zealand 2000 Guineas winner Rock ‘N’ Pop joining an already formidable line-up.

Ocean Park is now the second Gr.1 Cox Plate winner on the team and will stand alongside the 2004 Moonee Valley hero Savabeel, who has gone on to outstanding stud success, and champion Waikato Stud servants O’Reilly and Pins.

Backed by support from New Zealand’s major breeders, Mark Chittick completed the deal over the weekend to purchase Ocean Park with the owners of the five time Group One winner happy to see the stallion remain in New Zealand.

“Horses the calibre of Ocean Park don’t come along every day, and when they do you have to do all you can to secure them,” Chittick said.

“These are the horses that are the next chapter for New Zealand’s breeding industry and this is why we were wonderfully supported by many of New Zealand’s leading breeders in our quest to get him. We could not have struck this deal without them.

“In his five Group One wins alone he beat 29 individual Group One winners, who have won an amazing 67 Group One races.”

Prepared by Gary Hennessy, Ocean Park won at the highest level from 1400 to 2040 metres with top honours in the Cox Plate, the Caulfield Stakes, the Underwood Stakes, the Makfi Challenge Stakes and the New Zealand Stakes.

The Trelawney Stud-bred colt won eight races from 15 starts to earn $A2,799,817 for owners Andrew Wong, Stephen Yan and Hennessy,  who have retained an interest.

“It’s been a fabulous ride with him and we are so pleased to have struck a deal with Waikato Stud, who are literally just down the road from me, Hennessy said. “I know he’ll get every chance under their management,” Hennessy said.

Out of the Zabeel mare Sayyida, Ocean Park hails from one of New Zealand’s most successful female families that features O’Reilly within its ranks.

“Ocean Park fits beautifully within the stud’s sire selection criteria and comes from a proven family that Waikato Stud has already enjoyed tremendous success with,” Chittick said. “Add to this, the fact that he is a Cox Plate winner, as was our sire Savabeel, and you can pretty quickly see why we were just so keen to retain him for New Zealand’s sire ranks.

“In light of his outstanding race record and pedigree, Ocean Park will stand at Waikato Stud this season for NZ$30,000 plus GST.”

In these rather financially constrained times, isn't $30k a bit greedy ?

When he's proven (like Savabeel) he might be assessed as being value for money, but until then, shouldn't Waikato be encouraging breeder's support, with an initial fee that gives some incentive to take a punt ?

I wouldn't see $30k as encouraging. If, for instance I could go to Azamour, who won the same sort of stakesmoney, who has already shown he can produce Gr1 winners for $12k, why on earth would I want to support an unproven sire ?

Sorry, Waikato I think I'll look elsewhere.

If you are fortunate enough to own a mare that is worth a $30K stud fee [ and that realistically means K1 standard], then Ocean Park in his first season would be a no-brainer. He'll be immensely popular and dare I say it, with his mixture of conformation, pedigree and racing ability he's odds-on to make the grade - especially given where he's standing and the support he'll get.

Nearco...the service fee is an age-old calculation using his purchase price....so you could reverse the calculation to find his purchase price.

Savabeel stood at the same price in his first season....and, arguably, Ocean Park won a better Cox Plate.