RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Double P

Keep the 3rd foal ?

I guess in some ways it makes sence, try to make a little off the first two foals to cover costs for the owner to afford having a crack. Also having seen what types the mare leaves maybe can change/ adjust the mating to improve the product. It also gets a couple of the foals out and about and then one you are in control of racing in an attempt to prove the mare. I would be amazed to see if there was any data to back up that the 3rd is somehow advantaged, as you know with any theory in this game there is a horse just down the road to prove it wrong!!

Why do I often hear the view that one sells a mares first two foals and keeps the 3rd foal, to race? Is there any data to support this theory or is it just hearsay?

One can only wonder if it's on licensed premises and how late at night that you keep hearing this view.

:rolleyes:

the view has cropped up a few times by different people & I just wondered if there was any logic or data to it. Obviously not although Sparky's points make sense. An experienced breeder I've since spoken with said he'd done his own study and concluded that often the 2nd foal had the best results on the track followed only marginally behind by the 1st foal. Interestingly he also informed me that an overseas study on 500 mares, showed that they each produced on average 5.12 foals. Interesting.

I have a couple of broodies & to date both of them have left the most sucessful foals as the 3rd foal, so not too sure whether there is something to it as in both these mares the matings to the stallions have been repeated but not to as great a sucess (as yet- certain to change I am sure)!

Perhaps people may keep the 3rd foal as they are hoping by then that the 1st foal may be getting ready to race & increase the value of the 3rd foal.