RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Gruff

Thanks tab !

For closing down tabs all over auckland,i travel all through auckland working and use to drop in to most tabs when time restraints allowed,use to shoot the breeze with the mostly very nice operators and talk to the usual suspects,most like myself harbouring unhealthy gambling habits.All these people and the interaction were a big part of racing and gambling...most of these places are gone..in the belief the tab were cutting costs they forgot the habitual punter was also a creature of habit,its easy to drive around auckland now.Its obvious those making the decisions shouldnt be in jobs.Thanks tab!

For closing down tabs all over auckland,i travel all through auckland working and use to drop in to most tabs when time restraints allowed,use to shoot the breeze with the mostly very nice operators and talk to the usual suspects,most like myself harbouring unhealthy gambling habits.All these people and the interaction were a big part of racing and gambling...most of these places are gone..in the belief the tab were cutting costs they forgot the habitual punter was also a creature of habit,its easy to drive around auckland now.Its obvious those making the decisions shouldnt be in jobs.Thanks tab!

The main Palmerston North one is gone too. Has it relocated or is it closed for good?

It was in a very convienent place so whatever the answer is, it seems a poor decision.

What I can,t get use to is these self-use machines at the TAB,S / clubs and pubs...( like the supermarkets). Either i,m too slow, they are too slow or i leave my bets till too late.

I Totally agree Gruffy...I would far rather talk to a human and this closing TABS and replacing them with machines won,t  increase betting turnover or make having a bet or becoming involved in the racing industry any more pleasurable.

The main Palmerston North one is gone too. Has it relocated or is it closed for good?

It was in a very convienent place so whatever the answer it seems a poor decision.

With the Plaza redevelopment pulling the retail centre of PN more to that side of the Square the value of the building went way up. So NZRB sold it. It's a shame, especially for the regulars who used to hang out there. I'm pretty sure most/all of the staff kept their jobs though, either relocating to the other two TABs or to Wellington.

There are a couple of PubTABs not far away, which I suppose will do me for account deposits etc. but aren't great for hanging out and spending a lunchhour on the punt.

Yes Gruff. If you're looking for reasons for the decline of horse racing in New Zealand you can add the closing of TAB's to the list. 

Internet punting is convenient, but it removes that social side of the game for those unable to get along to the racecourse.