RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Freda

Classic and cup horses

Over the years buyers have targeted NZ sales to source [ largely ] staying and classic horses, our reputation such as it is has been built on a proud tradition of this type of horse.

I was watching Adrian Clarke hosting the excellent Ford Report a few years back, and a very prominent studmaster was being interviewed about his recent acquisition, a fast son of a well-known American horse.

' This is what NZ needs now' he intoned, ' I would hate to be trying to kick off a staying-performed horse' .

At the time I thought, ****, mate, you have made your fortune on the back of classic-producing stallions, we are renowned for this, we do it well, what are you thinking?

Time has shown this fast horse to be a particularly underwhelming sire; Aussies have consistently pointed out that they breed fast and early horses in great numbers at home and certainly don't need to come here to buy them, yet still we don't seem to have a ready successor to the big Z when he drops off his perch.

The great recent form of the stock of Montjeu and High Chaparral just proves the point.

Remember the bagging Montjeu got?

On another thread, it was announced that High Chaparral will be back, that is great news.

There are now sons of Montjeu available, but of course time will tell if they can step up to the best level.

I don't think Savabeel fits the bill, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

St Reims perhaps?

Thoughts?

Over the years buyers have targeted NZ sales to source [ largely ] staying and classic horses, our reputation such as it is has been built on a proud tradition of this type of horse.

I was watching Adrian Clarke hosting the excellent Ford Report a few years back, and a very prominent studmaster was being interviewed about his recent acquisition, a fast son of a well-known American horse.

' This is what NZ needs now' he intoned, ' I would hate to be trying to kick off a staying-performed horse' .

At the time I thought, ****, mate, you have made your fortune on the back of classic-producing stallions, we are renowned for this, we do it well, what are you thinking?

Time has shown this fast horse to be a particularly underwhelming sire]

Ekraar

Don Eduardo

Sold poorly at the sales

Premier 0 entries

Select 2 entries one passed 60k res 80k

Festival.A bunch with sales at 3k-37.5k some pssd and some wid.

Interestingly Wexford bought 4 and good luck to them. The sire deserves support surely

Don't think the Don has done enough to take over the mantle of his illustrious sire...aren't his oldest five?

Okay for breeding to race [ if you can afford to ] but as to being a sale ring drawcard, not for me.

Don't think the Don has done enough to take over the mantle of his illustrious sire...aren't his oldest five?

Okay for breeding to race [ if you can afford to ] but as to being a sale ring drawcard, not for me.

If you remember Freda, Zabeel took quite some time to become popular himself.

Yes, But they had a bit of a reputation.

I still think "Don" will make it as a staying sire.

The Don will make it as a staying sire they just need a bit of time.

He would be one of the most underated sires in the country.

I Conquer never set the world on fire.

He isn't even mentioned on The Dons stallion register pedigree page.

Jury's still out for mine.

Viking Ruler who is out of the Dons three quarter sister, and the sire of Court Ruler and Red Ruler might be a better proposition, bringing that famous blood in thru the female line.

On the subject of staying blood.... its a bit dissapointing that Pentire hasn't had a sire son to carry on his line.

I Conquer never set the world on fire.

He isn't even mentioned on The Dons stallion register pedigree page.

Jury's still out for mine.

Viking Ruler who is out of the Dons three quarter sister, and the sire of Court Ruler and Red Ruler might be a better proposition, bringing that famous blood in thru the female line.

On the subject of staying blood.... its a bit dissapointing that Pentire hasn't had a sire son to carry on his line.

Agree.

And please note I am not knocking the potential of the above-mentioned to leave nice horses.

I am looking at the situation from a marketing point of view, what do we have to entice overseas buyers WITHOUT Zabeel?

Pinhooking Aussie-bred babies and on-selling them is not going to underpin our breeding industry.

Yeah Ekraar solid prospect in years to come, St Reims must have something brewing to have Wexford buy 4, pretty underrated I think, love the propect of the younger sires by Montjeu, Nom Du Jeu, Guillotine and in particular Gallant Guru who had some nice types at Karaka sales all of which were top class racehorses. Savabeel should progress as a good sire as his next few crops mature to 3 and 4. We really do miss Danasinga as a good value sire of middle distance horses.

I would'nt expect DANROAD to sire staying horses.

He had 6 sprinting wins himself, and outside of DOWN THE ROADS second in the derby,a quick look thru last years stallion register reveals danroads best runners are winning up to a mile.

I cant see why he wont leave a nice sprinter miler or two if he can get enough mares.

IMHO he is over priced at $11000 all on the back of 2 or 3 good performances by two of his runners.

Im picking all breeders who went to Viking Ruler at $6500 last season will be rather pleased with themselves right now.

I would'nt expect DANROAD to sire staying horses.

He had 6 sprinting wins himself, and outside of DOWN THE ROADS second in the derby,a quick look thru last years stallion register reveals danroads best runners are winning up to a mile.

I cant see why he wont leave a nice sprinter miler or two if he can get enough mares.

IMHO he is over priced at $11000 all on the back of 2 or 3 good performances by two of his runners.

Im picking all breeders who went to Viking Ruler at $6500 last season will be rather pleased with themselves right now.

They might like to go and wave him goodbye, then?

Is Viking Ruler leaving NZ?

So I am informed.

Obviously not cutting the mustard commercially, and Nod's stats tell the story really.

Now watch the progeny really fire!