RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

Rugby Round Up

The Super 15 is three rounds in and already some trends are are starting to emerge.

The Highlanders, at this point at least, appear to have purchased a bunch of hand me downs who are a year or two past their use by date. Having said that they will likely be a bit angry (as grumpy old men tend to get)  and like are likely to give the Canes a hurry up this coming week.

Crusaders have had their usual slow start to the season, but improved plenty on Friday and should be back to the old Crusaders from here on in. Wouldn't want to lose to the Bulls though.

Canes I'm not confident about this year. They've lost Jane, they've lost the element of surprise and other teams might have worked them out. I think they'll struggle this year.

Chiefs look good again. No problems with a close loss to Stormers at home and they'll bounce back. Best NZ coach in the comp and best first five. Provided Cruden stays fit, they'll go close again.

Auckland Blues. The chickens came home to rest at the weekend. St John made mistakes in selection, they got beaten up at home by a genuine contender and Ali Williams reverted to his normal negative self in after match speech. How I chuckled to myself. Bottom half of the table for them.

Was that big dumb Blues forward really off side at the final ruck of the game? I don't think he was.

He was stupid, as he needed to be extra cautious, but he appeared to time his move toward the man playing halfback perfectly.

And what about the Red's player who tried to hurdle the Bulls tackler. Of course he's likely to end up on his head, but that was no fault of the tackler. So why the yellow card?

If they have to have TMO all over the show, then they might as well have a look at everything.

TJ Perinara looked very assured on Reunion last night. He has a future in broadcasting when his career is over.

The Crusaders win was magnificent. I gave them no chance with all the players missing. By seasons end this may well be rated the best effort of the year.

TMO again. Tries get examined in minute detail, yet when the attacking team is hard done by, no one takes a look. For instance, final lineout Highlanders v Reds. Highlanders down by one point. Lineout on Reds 22, Highlanders throw. Ball thrown long hits Reds flanker and is propelled forward. Ref incorrectly signals ball has gone backwards, play continues, Reds save the game. It's all in favour of the defending team.

Blues would need to beat the Highlanders this week, wouldn't they? Lose and they are looking sick.

TJ Perinara looked very assured on Reunion last night. He has a future in broadcasting when his career is over.   The Crusaders win was magnificent. I gave them no chance with all the players missing. By seasons end this may well be rated the best effort of the year.   TMO again. Tries get examined in minute detail, yet when the attacking team is hard done by, no one takes a look. For instance, final lineout Highlanders v Reds. Highlanders down by one point. Lineout on Reds 22, Highlanders throw. Ball thrown long hits Reds flanker and is propelled forward. Ref incorrectly signals ball has gone backwards, play continues, Reds save the game. It's all in favour of the defending team.   Blues would need to beat the Highlanders this week, wouldn't they? Lose and they are looking sick.
A blind man could see that final lineout ball propelled forward , but didn't the comments guys say it must have come off head,chest or shoulder which would explain why it was play on ?? After 80mins the bumbling Highlanders had one last ditch chance ,they got the throw wrong which pretty much sums it up...the Reds looked the better team overall IMO.

A blind man could see that final lineout ball propelled forward , but didn't the comments guys say it must have come off head,chest or shoulder which would explain why it was play on ?? After 80mins the bumbling Highlanders had one last ditch chance ,they got the throw wrong which pretty much sums it up...the Reds looked the better team overall IMO.

Yeah it probably was off the shoulder, but i thought the Ref signalled "propelled backwards" which was incorrect. 

My point being that it is predominantly the attacking side that gets scrutinised (down to the minutest detail), after they've scored a try.

The new TMO laws are all in the favour of the defending side. The defending side now have a 16th man on their team. The attacking side get no such assistance.

Looks like its another 'what might have been' season for the Blues, but sets up a great one for Auckland later on.

Kirwan can't coach his way outta a paper bag, best to let GH take over ...  :)

Kirwin can't coach and you might have added, "Williams can't Captain".

You can't blame Hawkes Bay for not wanting All Black, Hika Elliot on their books.

Why should cash strapped provinces be shelling out big bucks for All Blacks who, quite likely, won't play a game for them in a season.

It's a sensible decision. but it brings into focus a bigger problem. That being that All Blacks only rarely play for their provinces these days. We accepted that All Blacks would not play for clubs, but provinces? That means it's a rare occasion that you'll see an All Black playing outside of the main centres. You certainly won't share a beer with an All Black at the leaner after a provincial game in Taumaranui or Blenheim, and that's sad.

Very ordinary weekend of rugby from the NZ teams. It was bland and has already been forgotten in the wake of the Julian Savea assault charge. From a purely rugby perspective, it's a real bugger, because he's unlikely to get focused enough to give of his best for the rest of this season.

Form is such a fickle thing.

Sometimes it just evaporates.

Why has it gone? Why was I playing so well back then and now I'm not? I'm trying my hardest so why won't it return?

Questions Israel Dagg (Crusaders), Andre Taylor (Hurricanes) and Aaron Smith (Highlanders) are asking themselves right now.

This has to be the week the Highlanders win a game.

Rested up and having reflected on their issues, this in the one.............isn't it??

I think they will....only just though with the home advantage.

Conference winners this far out imo..... Chiefs/Brumbies/Cheetahs(wallet saying these boys)