RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

New TMO Powers

I hate the wider TMO powers in Rugby Union.

Less tries and more officialdom. It could only appeal to Referees and Traffic Cops.

The man in the crowd/viewer sees a try, gets the rush that comes with that, but now has to sit through this interminable amount of review time, before the try is confirmed or denied.

I'm no Canterbury supporter, but I don't want to see what appears a nice try by the All Black fullback ruled out, 2 minutes and 20 reviews, later.

Both the Ref and the Touchy must have had a view of that tackle/non tackle and should have been able to decide there and then.

Just give me back the old "was the ball correctly grounded over the line" ruling and give us back our game.

Have to agree, Conrad Smith looked to have sealed the win for the Canes, soon the jubilation turned to despair, as we had to go back two plays, to see if there was a knock on, just like deflating a balloon.

As for Steve Walsh..........geez when you go to the cricket they have spare CRICKET balls, but when SW is incharge of a union game they have spare whistles.

as for the AB's fullback, what the...was he doing on the wing?.....who invited IC to Canterbury.

on a positive note a couple of good games recently, Blues Crusaders, and Highlanders Chiefs da week before, and how about da man Ranger.....on fire, just like having an extra loose forward.

Early days but the Blues look like the real deal this year, as for the Tah's yip over-rated

Yes after about 18 looks you would think there was a n element of doubt in the knock on decision for the Smith try.

He wasn't a happy chappy after the game was Smithy.He said it was the weirdest game he had played in.

His way criticizing the ref I think

The thing is, that in the good old days (i.e. last season), both those tries (Daggs and Smiths) would have been awarded and no one would have accused the match officials of making a horrendous error. In the Dagg case it was highly debatable whether or not he was held in a tackle and in the Smylie case the supposed knock on was, at best, very slight.

This trolling over yards of footage looking for the smallest indiscretion is something the Poms will love, but we just don't need.

I see Mark Reason in the Dom Post yesterday agrees with my assertion, in this and other threads, that the new TMO rules favour the defence and/or the defensively minded (i.e. Northern Hemisphere teams).

He notes that British teams love to get field placement then win a penalty in order to kick goals.

He rightly points out that there is no TMO review of the two phases leading up to the penalty. The Ref never asks the TMO to look for a prior infringement by the team awarded the penalty.

More problems with the new TMO powers in the Chiefs v Rebels game

They are a blight on the game.

Anscombe misses a place in the record books when denied that 4th try, by the TMO.

Even with all those replays it was still unclear if anyone had knocked the ball on.

Lets just get back to the old way of "did he ground the ball" etc.

More on this blight on NZ rugby last night in the Tasman v Northland game.

Twice Tasman denied by very contentious calls where the TMO had to view the replay 10 times or more before deciding to rub out the try.

The 2nd one in particular where, if it was knocked on, 80 metres back down field, it was by millimetres. There no way a try should be rubbed out for such a borderline decision. It's stuffing the game.

I hate the wider TMO powers in Rugby Union.

Less tries and more officialdom. It could only appeal to Referees and Traffic Cops.

The man in the crowd/viewer sees a try, gets the rush that comes with that, but now has to sit through this interminable amount of review time, before the try is confirmed or denied.

Just give me back the old "was the ball correctly grounded over the line" ruling and give us back our game.

I knew I'd posted about this in the past and scrolled through to locate the thread.

Nothing has changed in two years and if anything it has got worse.

I was at the Canes v Chiefs game on Saturday and every time a try is scored I find myself looking to the Ref to see if he is going to review. I hate it that I cannot immediately celebrate the try.

Worse still these decisions are going to the TMO and he's getting them wrong.

To my mind the grounding by Nonu was marginal, the forward pass was marginal and the final ruck was a penalty to Chiefs. All should have been tries, unless the Ref immediately ruled otherwise. 

Ok I've now seen the Nonu non try on Rugby Nation and it clearly was No try.

How about a compromise - "The TMO can only check grounding." Everything else is up to Ref and touch Judge.

Right, I've changed my mind again.

Evidently if the player maintains contact (which Nonu did) and gets some downward pressure (which Nonu did) then it's a try.

Gee those rugby rules eh!! Who can follow them?. Certainly not the TMO.