RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Centrofold

Final Touch

Fantastic to see this mare win another Group One.  She seemed to do it so effortlessly.

Congratulations to everyone involved with her. :)

What an honest horse, she deserves to be  'the people's champion'.  She had the best form and she ran accordingly.

Final Touch stamped herself as a contender for New Zealand sprinter-miler of the year after winning her third Group One of the season at Te Rapa.

The five-year-old mare sprinted past former Singapore champion Better Than Ever in the straight and then held off Xanadu and Zurella to win the weight-for-age Waikato Sprint (1400m).

The mare's form before this season hadn't suggested she would be a triple Group One winner but her Canterbury co-trainer Karen Parsons said it wasn't her fault.

"She nearly died when she was three. She beat King's Rose in the lead-up to the 1000 Guineas and we thought she was a serious 1000 Guineas horse, but then she got this mystery virus," Parsons said.

"She came back and won races two days apart at four, and then she kicked the rail at home and put a gouge in her leg and bled and bled. We were lucky then to save her."

The Kashani mare put her troubles behind her this season, winning the Captain Cook Stakes and Telegraph Handicap with fast-finishing runs and taking the Waikato Sprint in similar fashion.

"She makes the jockey's job easy," rider Chris Johnson said.

"She's got acceleration that a lot of horses haven't."

Parsons dedicated the win to her close friend Bob Wood, who died during the week.

She said the mare might next take on Ocean Park and Veyron in the Group One Haunui Farm Classic (1600m) in late February.

Xanadu also finished strongly for second and will now head across to Sydney for the Coolmore Classic.

Alistair Bull Newswire NZ 9 February 2013

Hate to rain on your parade Jane, again, but there is no Sprinter/Miler of The Year anymore

And besides, what has she done that has outstripped Ocean Park?

You posted it and dint comment, therefore the assumption is you agree

And WTF is bubble cub supposed to be? I just point out that you were wrong and you have to resort to the same loving tactics as Allaboveboard? You can both go love each other and then yourselves

Bear stop using the F word thanks....one more time and you're gone

Fair enough zzz; deserved that I suppose. There are too many idiots like Allaboveboard ruining the place. When the attacks get personal, well, I get a little heated

I worked in the racing industry for a long time, both at the TAB, when it was still called the TAB, and also NZTR. Things have certainly gone downhill fast in the time since I left, which is a damn shame. I love the NZ racing family. I met some great people, especially in my time with NZTR. People like Jim Gibbs, John Wheeler, Stephen McKee, and many other great NZ Trainers. If it wasn't for racing I probably wouldn't have met people like John Tannahill, Michael Guerin, Tony Lee et al. And I certainly would probably never have met the gorgeous Miss Laura Cheshire

But since leaving my interest is certainly not where it once was, and there are now a lot of turn-offs in the industry, and I will say I think some of the turn-offs post on Race Cafe. But that is their prerogative; we can all say what we want. But when it starts getting personal for no reason other than having an opinion...well...

I promise, zzz, I will not post again using that great anglo-saxon, colourful metaphor

Bon

And besides, what has she done that has outstripped Ocean Park?

Supposing there was a sprinter/miler award, surely at this stage Final Touch would have to be considered the favourite, taking into account that she's won 3 group one races over 1200-1400-1600 metres this season, compared to Ocean Park with 1 group one (not taking anything away from his spectacular demolition job he did in Oz) over these distances, albiet he is 1 from 1. 

However if Final Touch does take on Ocean Park at Otaki and gets beaten then you'd have to think on balance that Ocean Park would be a warm favourite to take this theoretical award. Fingers crossed she does, with Veyron likely to line up as well, it'll pit Ocean Park against two genuine top class stars that he's never had the pleasure of racing against before.

Roll on the 23rd of February.

She is a lovely honest mare who is at the top of her game at this moment but honestly against genuine group one horses like ocean park she will struggle.The lot racing in group one races in nz like this race and the telegraph were at best group 2 horses and she is clearly superior to them easily with her racing pattern,others like xanadu who might lay claim to being group one horses will more often than not come undone by their come from behind style,guiseppina a genuine group one horse hasn't been the same since her telegraph win, departure of james, trying to extend her to 2000m,a bit of bad luck being the obvious contributing factors,the rest of the field will always be ranons in true group one company.

So there isn't a sprinter miler awared any more? Since when? I missed that one.

On a slightly different note, in rugby, soccer, in fact any type of games sport, the championship isn't really decided until the end of the season. So why might one ask are we establishing a pattern where the championship categories are established before the seasons are just a bit further on than half way. Leaves nothing for the imagination for the remainder of the season.

So there isn't a sprinter miler awared any more? Since when? I missed that one.   On a slightly different note, in rugby, soccer, in fact any type of games sport, the championship isn't really decided until the end of the season. So why might one ask are we establishing a pattern where the championship categories are established before the seasons are just a bit further on than half way. Leaves nothing for the imagination for the remainder of the season.
Dunno about this.....apparently the fat lady is about to sing for Manchester United !!!! Many of the Group 1's have been run and won ,with many of the top shelf ones in the same cabinet making a late run from elsewhere unlikely.

So wouldn't it be prudent to make sure the pattern of the races was constructed to keep us all guessing with some sort of championship in play? Seems as though we have a bridge with no end. Not rocket science I would have thought

I think that the most imppressive thing about Final Touch is that she was bred by Karen AND trained by her which is extraordinary.  Not many can say the same thing of most who race.  Very few breeder/trainers about.  Very commendable Karen, and rather special - I hope the magic run continues for Final Touch and yourself and John.

Heartily agree with you Tapu.  They are a really deserving couple of true blue people, I wish them every success with both Final Touch and any others that they breed and race.  Karen and John have been very supportive to us the last few years and I really admire their determination

I don't think it matters what any horse does this season. Ocean Park is HOTY. FT deserves something and champion Sprinter will do.

Why don't you start a thread for Ocean Park - this thread is for Final Touch and her wonderful racing career - her breeders, her owner and her trainers.  What makes it even more remarkable is that she was born in the South Island, raced down here and has been ridden by a South Island jockey each time she has won in the North Island against some of their best horses.   I note that Chris got no other rides in any other races last meeting except Final Touch's race - & he really made it count with faultless racing - really for him the magic was back in bucket loads.  Congratulations to Chris - a pleasure to watch.