RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dustydreamnz

Place 6

Took me awhile to get one Dusty and now I'm hooked to have a go atleast two or three times a week. Every Tuesday go halves in $32 ticket with a mate with best result 8 x $30. We had x 16 going last leg this Tuesday just been but bombed out in last leg but thats punting.

Like any bet type, the pool sizes are hugely important as to whether it's worthwhile having a go.  To begin with, it was okay running Place 6 on all NZ meetings, but I think that once the novelty wears off most punters will revert back to their normal betting patterns and won't take a Place 6 often.

As soon as those who genuinely like Place 6 see the pools starting to drop off, they too will be less inclined to bet on it.  I think it should only be offered on 1 meeting per day, or perhaps 1 meeting per day for each code, to keep it a bit more of a novelty and to ensure the pools are decent.

I personally have had a reasonable amount of success with the Place 6 so far (only on the dogs).  To get a decent collect I think you really need at least 2 well supported favourites missing the place across the 6 races, and at least 1 race where all place-getters are outside the top 3 in favouritism.  I'm guessing a lot of people are anchoring 2 or 3 hot favourites and then taking a spread in the other legs, so any time a hot favourite misses out, it wipes out a decent percentage of people.

It's actually quite a unusual bet type, especially the fact that the pay-out is the same whether you were on the $1.10 place-getter or the $5 place-getter in a race.

I've had a few situations going into the last leg where I've had 3 runners going including the favourite.  Whilst all 3 placing will give you 3x more winning combinations, quite often you'll actually be better off overall if only 1 or 2 of those runners place, and the favourite misses out - so you can actually end up cheering for one of your selections getting beaten.

I've mentioned this on here previously, but the will-pays going into the last leg are a nonsense because they are all reliant on who the other place-getters are as well.  God only knows how the TAB tries to predict these because mathematically I can't see how it's possible. 

Yes it's a bit complicated with the payouts and a few idiosyncracies(sp).  I took a while to get it but like any bet type most people tend to have their one or two ways of attacking it.  Yesterday at Wanganui I had 2 runners in 4 legs with 2 anchors in the other 2 legs;ended up getting $22 back for my $5.  Couldn't believe it.  The key seems to be to get double ups or more in a leg and like fernlea says hoping a hot fave or two will miss out(although yesterday this didn't happen) because many anchor these in all bet types obviously.  If you haven't had a go even try taking a percentage.  I've punted for years and think it's one of the best bet types we have. 

It's definitely one of the better ways to have an interest across a decent number of races.  If you don't bet big and want to have something to follow for a few hours then it's a good way to go.

Personally I have always preferred place betting to backing them on the snozz so it's good there's now an exotic bet type (other than pokers and all-ups) which cater to the place punter.

All good coments

If you punt $20 you can watch 6 races and have fun

If the pools are spread into many meetings it will die quickly

Better to have one TB, one Harness and one Greyhound meeting each weekend - get the pools up and make some dollars. Good idea that a minimum $1 ticket is available.

When the result is $21 for a Place 6 (all favs) then that will promote demise as the pools too small if well spread

Interesting thread

You be doing better picking than me there Dusty, out in race 8 as took 1&8, Race 9 my anchor Theodore West ran fourth so would have been that leg if I was alive till then. Have to say Monday and Tuesday are my favourite punting days, alot more success than rest of the week.

Hi lad, I like Monday, Wednesday, Friday.  Not just because it's the C.D but I think they are the easiest tracks to make money. I can understand you liking Theodore West, I had him and Chemically Free that leg.  I had 4 and 8 race 8.  Today I upped my bet on Place 6, hardly going to alter the pool much but it's a reflection of how much I like it.  A guy I know today took 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1 and he got it!

$92 was good but not that crazy dusty.

R11, only 2 divvies and you'd have needed the field. Say you took field and two in other legs would've cost $224 for a dollar. If only one of your two came in on each of your legs you'd have made a loss of $40.

If two came in in two legs you'd profit $144 but if you were a 10% bettor only $14 profit for a $22 outlay.

I've had good success getting the shorties. Anchoring 4 or 5 or 6. Costs $1, $2 or $4 for a dollar and can take it multiple times. E.g. Auckland Sunday, anchored 5 and got $200 for $20. Missed a few too tho. I anchored Theodore West too! And also Crystal Wave last week. Won today :blink:

It's good everyone has their way of taking them as the Trackside presenters say.  Today I did my normal-took 2 x 2 x 1 x 1 x 2 x 2.  Almost every leg my anchor or either dog won.  In the hard leg which was race 11 I took Monkey Queen who was fave and Scarilicious(who had the most consistent form in the race) yet may have been the outsider so didn't think field was needed.  At the most I would take 3 in a leg probably.