RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

If B.Martin....

Is on a similar salary to Trevor Wilkes then he has every right to feel peeved off at the powers to be IMO. He is obviously the best greyhound commentator in NZ by a country mile, and when you compare him to Trevor Wilkes its like comparing a V8 with a 1.3L Corolla. One is a brilliant Open Class caller and the other has been stuck in C0 for the majority of his career. I'd hope they would have some performance based scheme and i hope Brian Martin is well looked after and not lost to the industry. Some would even say B.Martins intoxicated calls on Friday night were probably still better than Trevor Wilkes! Both could only get thru about 3 runners in a sprint!

Brian Martin is an absolute talent, he would be the type of bloke capable of calling the throughbreds, replacing Tony Lee, I have just finished watching Friday's programme, and I would be shocked if he actually was intoxicated, Brian Martin could well be a Diabetic, when their blood sugar levels are low, they tend to become disorientated, and slur with their speech, they also do feel i'll

Like RM pointed out on another thread, this just wasn't an ordinary meet, this was one of the big one's, was he seen drinking at the track? NO! was he seen drinking anywhere else? NO!

Maybe he was at a lunchtime function, maybe he had a drink, that lowers the blood sugar levels even more, maybe his drink was spiked?

Innocent until proven guilty I say.

If B Martin was drunk he shouldn't be crucified, he should be offered help, he is a tremendous talent that shouldn't be lost to the Industry.

i can tell you now he recieves plenty off accolades for his calls on this side of the Tasman.

B Martin calls races over 300mtrs and paints a pretty picture, Mike O'Sullivan I have no faaaaarkin idea what's going on over the last 300mtrs of his calls, a horse can be 5 lengths clear with 30mtrs to go, and he'll make it sound like the horse running second is a chance of winning, maybe he's pissed all the time.

B Martin=Champion

Brian Martin is an absolute talent, he would be the type of bloke capable of calling the throughbreds, replacing Tony Lee, I have just finished watching Friday's programme, and I would be shocked if he actually was intoxicated, Brian Martin could well be a Diabetic, when their blood sugar levels are low, they tend to become disorientated, and slur with their speech, they also do feel i'll

Like RM pointed out on another thread, this just wasn't an ordinary meet, this was one of the big one's, was he seen drinking at the track? NO! was he seen drinking anywhere else? NO!

Maybe he was at a lunchtime function, maybe he had a drink, that lowers the blood sugar levels even more, maybe his drink was spiked?

Innocent until proven guilty I say.

If B Martin was drunk he shouldn't be crucified, he should be offered help, he is a tremendous talent that shouldn't be lost to the Industry.

i can tell you now he recieves plenty off accolades for his calls on this side of the Tasman.

B Martin calls races over 300mtrs and paints a pretty picture, Mike O'Sullivan I have no faaaaarkin idea what's going on over the last 300mtrs of his calls, a horse can be 5 lengths clear with 30mtrs to go, and he'll make it sound like the horse running second is a chance of winning, maybe he's pissed all the time.

B Martin=Champion

You should be his lawyer von cettes. How do you know he was not seen drinking at the track? Or elsewhere? And, if in doubt, throw in the lunchtime function and the old spiked drink scenario. But not before the diabetes defence. No evidence, of anything, but just enough to put doubt into the jury's mind huh?

I think it's fair to say, if some of the things overheard from the commentary box between races (and reported by RC posters who were actually there) are true, I doubt it was just because he was feeling "unwell". A professional should have known he wasn't up to the task on the night, for whatever reason, and gone quietly. It appears he was anything but quiet.........

plenty of shit being slung around over this matter,, and thats all it is.. shit..

Brian Martin wasnt drunk or spaced out on drugs like people are suggesting,, this guy is an absolute cashcow for the Greyhound industry so everyone should be showing him support instead of kicking him when hes down..

Hopefully the TAB will also give him the support he needs..

Hold your head up Brian,, your lightyears ahead of any other caller within the racing industry..

plenty of shit being slung around over this matter,, and thats all it is.. shit..

Brian Martin wasnt drunk or spaced out on drugs like people are suggesting,,

Sorry but we can only comment on what's reported and 95% of people on here love BMartin and are right behind him, we a know he's 5* better than any other commentator in NZ greys.

If in fact B Martin wasn't drunk / impaired then the head office at NZGRA should be gotten rid of. There has been no actual report of what's happened and it feels all to similar to what NZ cricket has just gone through. A lack of leadership that gets people's tongues wagging and false rumours starting. But we have only had the story in the SST on Sunday. It's now been 5 days since it happened with no official statement. We have a stipes report stating he was 'ill'.

Brian Martin wasnt drunk or spaced out on drugs like people are suggesting,, this guy is an absolute cashcow for the Greyhound industry so everyone should be showing him support instead of kicking him when hes down..

Hopefully the TAB will also give him the support he needs..

Hold your head up Brian,, your lightyears ahead of any other caller within the racing industry..

Hmm i'd have to disagree with your last comment..their is no way that Brian Martin is lightyears ahead of Mark McNamara....the Big Mc is a galaxy ahead of any other caller in this country..and i don't think i'm alone in that statement.

Greyhounds must pose a more unique challenge as these races can be turned on their heads in an instant ,and with 17 seconds to work with you can be made a fool quite easily.The 'personality 'of the caller can almost be as important as accuracy particularly by keeping people interested with his colourful descriptions.mcnamara oozes professionalism,but for mine the dogs need martinism

Hmm i'd have to disagree with your last comment..their is no way that Brian Martin is lightyears ahead of Mark McNamara....the Big Mc is a galaxy ahead of any other caller in this country..and i don't think i'm alone in that statement.

Wash your mouth out,, how dare you suggest that an Australian is better than the chosen race of New Zealanders...they are of course cousins but only second cousins...Dont get too attached to them..

What have we decided about Brian? had he been drinking? was it a migraine? or is there more to it? I'd like to know so we can just deal with the facts as there's plenty of gossip and chatter about, gossip that does no one any good.

Well considering we haven't heard ANYTHING from the Nzgra / Brian Martin himself, I think it's pretty fair to say he must have been pretty chopped!

For the record, Brian was not chopped, pissed, drunk or having migraines, and how does it give anyone the right to assume these must be true because he is an employment dispute and cannot comment. I know I speak from conflicted position and that is why I have said nothing till now, however in my opinion this whole thing has been handled despicably. There were valid reasons that explain what happened and a fair and reasonable employee would never have acted as happened.

For the record, Brian was not chopped, pissed, drunk or having migraines, and how does it give anyone the right to assume these must be true because he is an employment dispute and cannot comment. I know I speak from conflicted position and that is why I have said nothing till now, however in my opinion this whole thing has been handled despicably. There were valid reasons that explain what happened and a fair and reasonable employee would never have acted as happened.

Maybe because that's what the SST reported? Maybe because the NZGRA has not come out and said ANYTHING after that was reported? Maybe because some of the stuff that was heard coming from the commentators box was totally unacceptable / not called for? To me it sounds totally unprofessional by whoever is in charge, maybe they are getting their advice from NZ cricket. All this 'lack of talk' is obviously going to get people talking, wondering what is really the truth behind this story. Especially when it's the best greyhound commentator in NZ by a country mile.?

Do you believe the earlier commentaries were up to standard Mike?

I know of numerous cases where the TAB treated their employees with utter and disgraceful contempt.

Always economy measures when it comes to the lackies but top shelf treatment if you are in their "club".

The TAB have a lot of power and I'm convinced a few people with very small Willy's believe they are untouchable and abuse their power. Most on the receiving end just walk away. They don't have the funds,time or inclination to fight long drawn out legal battles fighting for justice and the TAB is VERY aware of this. As a result the TAB just continue on their merry way.

Reilly, If you really believe what is written in the SST is all true there is not much hope for you. As much as Mr Licked her professes to be our friend you can be assured he loves to get any negative stuff about the doggies he can in print. You yourself said you heard a row coming from the commentators box but give credence to an article that said Brian went without dissent.

The NZGRA are not Brian's employer and due to current circumstances I would not expect any comment from them until it is resolved.

The only reason I came on here was to reply to a request from Sheriff not to start justifying anything

Reilly, If you really believe what is written in the SST is all true there is not much hope for you. As much as Mr Licked her professes to be our friend you can be assured he loves to get any negative stuff about the doggies he can in print. You yourself said you heard a row coming from the commentators box but give credence to an article that said Brian went without dissent.

The NZGRA are not Brian's employer and due to current circumstances I would not expect any comment from them until it is resolved.

The only reason I came on here was to reply to a request from Sheriff not to start justifying anything

What were your opinions on the commentaries on the first 5 races? Don't get me wrong Mike I love the dogs and would have to admit I probably wouldn't follow them as close as I do without Brian's influence on the industry and his amazing ability of describing what are often smash and crash sprint races, he is an amazing commentator and I really really hope he returns because it wouldn't be the same without him.

I just think the lack of 'solid facts' is not good enough and often leads to false rumours.

Mike if NZGRA are not Brian's employer how do they have the right to stand him down from his duties and list it in their report. This whole thing must not be ideal for your family and I take my hat off to you for coming on here and clearing it up. I do hope when not if Brian gets his job back that he gets a healthy compensation package. Merry Xmas to yourself,Linda and Brian

Jason McCook

Thanks for coming on Mike and giving the heads up,, i had been told early in the piece of the "Real" situation but had promised not to divulge that imformation to anyone,,wanted to put it on here to clear the air and stop all the bullshit floating around

I now hope all you dreamers and schemers go shitstir somewhere else..

Keep your head up Brian

So let me get this right.

Brian wasn't intoxicated or under the influence of any substance, but he was speaking in a manner that suggested he was under the influence of something significant, is that correct?

If it is correct can I assume he had a breakdown or that he'd been visited by the 'holy spirit', and was speaking in tongues, in a similar manner to that chap in Christchurch who tried to get the dead man to rise from his coffin during the week.

I'd also rather like to know how he was ever allowed to leave the track without being tested for any substances that may have contributed to his condition...who allowed that?

Fair dinkum zzz,you should ban yourself.

Have you never been pissed of with a boss so much you do not show anything or don't want to be there? his father has just told you it was not medical or drugs or drink,so why would you not respect that? - Brian Martin is a success and deserves the chance to defend himself,when if he is ready and only then,not when hangmen like you want.

Fair dinkum zzz,you should ban yourself.

Have you never been pissed of with a boss so much you do not show anything or don't want to be there? his father has just told you it was not medical or drugs or drink,so why would you not respect that? - Brian Martin is a success and deserves the chance to defend himself,when if he is ready and only then,not when hangmen like you want.

But what happened here was heard by thousands of people on radio and tv- so I don't think you can blame people for speculating. He sounded sick or drunk or high - so people will debate what happened.

Unfortunately for Brian he is high profile (and I think he enjoys playing to that). So he won't get the privacy that would happen if he worked in a small office and had a similar episode.

In everyone best interests the reason needs to be disclosed and that would cut out the speculation.

Well I did listen to the replays of one race and he had a mysterious inability to articulate himself clearly.

I've owned a lot of bars and restaurants and I recognise the signs of intoxication rather well, this is the first time I've confused intoxication with what you attribute to anger.

I guess I'm learning something!!

zzz,i havebeen in some of your bars when you have givin staff a rev,and you dont think you did'nt sound intoxicated to other patrons?some times your words would'nt come out.(opps maybe you were pissed)---i think a letter to the licencing board should sort that out.