RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

The Ministers Position

excerpt from NZT mag January issue. Hon John Carter Minister for Racing

{Since taking on the racing portfolio I have spent a lot of time meeting those in the industry.I have listened to your concerns.I am expecting this year to be an important one for planning a sustainable future in domestic racing. How well those involved in this planning can cooperate is the key to success.

The Government expects industry led change. Its is not my role to provide direction, but rather guidance and support

I have asked industry leaders to develop a vision for the future direction of the industry.

Obviously a vision alone is not enough. Managing the immediate situation is critical as the industry positions itself to take advantage of a revival of the economy.

The goal is more efficient governance that allows growth on the track- attractive stake money and higher participation- creating optimum environment for wagering. This in turn will give greater returns back to that grass roots level.

This is not rhetoric- I expect to see action this year and I understand it is imperative.

I also believe that the challenges are not insurmountable. Racing comes with an amazing raw product-horses. They earn NZ $130 million pa in exports. They support 18000 jobs and create $1.5 billion to the economy each year.}

I have put this up as its pertinent to the One Racing/AGM and One Racing threads.

It states the ministers position in the most pressing issue that is the need to find better governance.

It seems that the Minister is "up to it". Are We?

All good stuff Nerula but it all depends what is meant by "goverance". It seems to be an overused word these days that is trotted out psuedo-intellectual/management types as an panacea for all sorts of ills. Goverance goes hand in hand with another overused word accountability and my take on the One Racing proposal was that it would reduce that rather than increase it.NZTR need to put their own house in order first.

NZTR need to put their own house in order first.

A common statement, but very few offer up a solution. I am interested to know exactly how this house should be 'cleaned'.

I cant help but agree that a one racing structure is the way forward.........and if implemented the NZTR would be overhauled anyway. Just how a One racing structure is agreed upon will no doubt be an interesting drama to watch!

A common statement, but very few offer up a solution. I am interested to know exactly how this house should be 'cleaned'.

I cant help but agree that a one racing structure is the way forward.........and if implemented the NZTR would be overhauled anyway. Just how a One racing structure is agreed upon will no doubt be an interesting drama to watch!

Yip Catemar and the answers are quite common - sort out the constitution, make sure that all stakeholders can participate, make sure that the elected board makes the decisions and those decisions are democractically made, remove all the side deals,and make the CEO follows those decisions through and make him or her accountable for that.

and which was recommended by the original report I might add.

I noticed on the other 2nd rate race site that the resident expert on all matters concerning racing in collies world, is stirring the pot.. but he has been found out good and proper.. was one of Acklins harshest critics in the past, is now singing his praises as it suits his present changeable point of view.. he has run for the hills though as he has no comeback.. so he is lying low.. till the heat dies down.

Got to give him one thing though he is mule headed he will never admit he was wrong.

Good post Nerula. It will come as a surprise to those who thought Hone was a lame duck minister.

The message is quite clear, work together to effect change.

After reading other threads, it is clear, many will not work together, it's just not in their genes.

The wording of his statement suggests the Government will step in, if the industry cannot sort itself out.

The Minister will NOT step in to effect legislative change without the support of the 3 codes.

This will not be forthcoming, thankfully.

The only merging will be shared services, again thankfully.

What should happen is that NZTR should get organised as presently they are hopeless. At least with a 30%? change to the Board there is a chance of this happening.