RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Iraklis

BRING BACK MICK!

I don't know bout anyone else out there, but geezuz I miss Mick on The Boxseat (sorry no offence Whale) Mick just had it all he was not only informative, and to the point but bloody entertaining.......how hard would it be to get started a 'bring back Mick' campaign, I mean come on in the time he was on the Boxseat he served us well, he brought alot to the programme I for one am not shy to say 'BRING BACK MICK, BRING BACK MICK' and mean it........

Cheers Iraklis

Fully agree - he was prepared to say what he thought even if it was controversial, and always had a view on how a race would be run. Interesting and very professional.

Time for Trackside/TAB to ask him back into the fold if he was willing to do it. Same perhaps could be said for Sheldon Murtha, and Radich (although they probably have better things to do now).

To be fair re the Whale - he knows his stuff and is worth listening to. Just he is not a natural on tv. There are a few others I would have in my sights before him....

When Mick went, something was lost, the Boxseat just aint the same.......the Whale tries hard but Mick he aint, perhaps if we were to put up a concerted effort der generalis TAB would sit up and take notice, Mick if your cruisin past the Racecafe pages mate 'wouldn't you love to be back frontin the Boxseat' we freakn miss you mate........... :D

Cheers Iraklis

Rottweiller with lipstick and a gibbering Whale.....ratings must be through the roof... :wacko:

Mmmm - not sure thats called for actually. Maybe I'm old fashioned when it comes to not insulting a woman.

Not sure what Jess has ever done to deserve that. Knock you back at a pub one night??

For me she looks just fine.

Mmmm - not sure thats called for actually. Maybe I'm old fashioned when it comes to not insulting a woman.

Not sure what Jess has ever done to deserve that. Knock you back at a pub one night??

For me she looks just fine.

Mmmm...you've either got taste or you haven't eh Col.. :rolleyes:

Thats dead right Jess.I agree Jess.Yes Jess thats right. :rolleyes:

You couldn't of put that better. I cant work out if he's on commission for every time he says her name or he's practiced everything he says at home in front of the mirror 386 times before he says it on air. To be fair it's not a female worshiping thing as he does the exact same thing with his other offsider. Yes Johny,no Johny,dead right Johny,three bags full Johny.

Craig knows a lot about the game and would be a huge asset to radio Trackside but is painful to watch on TV where he comes across as being desperately uncomfortable.

Mick Guerin is by light years the best presenter we ever had for Harness Racing. He understands everything you need to know about the game especially from a punting perspective. He left a huge hole when he was shown the door. His male replacements are at best "cringe-worthy"

My good lady thought Mick looked like the guy from Wallace and Gromit so not everyone was a fan ;)

For the benefit of all it would be great if Trackside were to rehire him and show forgiveness. His sin was after all forgivable.

I do believe they need to change the format. The lack of a "panel" type discussion format means it's not the most dynamic sort of show. Sure, the whale might know his stuff but wheres the banter and constructive arguments? It needs to be entertaining and engaging. That's the strength of "off the rails" because of the mix of personalities.

Jess is a breath of fresh air,good positive vibe...and beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! The whales ok,spends to much time on the couch and his eyes are to close together but hey,nobodys perfect.:)

This one comes up again and again and again. I'm wondering if it needs to be laid to rest for a while.

Everything I'm going to outline below can be put into one of three categories:

a) Speculation

b ) General Fact

c) 'Good Oil'

I shall indicate what is what....

Speculation: At the time of the betting 'credit' issue and subsequent dismissal, I should imagine Mick would have been feeling quite distressed because of a) losing a job he had had for a long time in a sport he loves b ) the silliness of his actions c) the attention it drew d) what would he do for a living now.

General Fact: After losing his Trackside gig, Mick quickly diversified, using his skill and knowledge in other areas such as....

- Appearing as occasional commentator on general sporting matters on TV (Murray Deaker)

- A similar role as above - but regular - on radio

- Integrating social media to harness racing

- On-course host at both harness and galloping premier meetings

- Continuing to write for the herald

- Continuing his traditional role on Aus TV

- Appearing as a host / commentator at other types of live harness functions (awards, dinners etc)

So, since his dismissal, Mick now has a more varied work life.

Good Oil: Mick gets asked a lot about the saga and a possible return. He doesn't mind too much because it shows people care - both about his personal situation and TV presentation of the sport we enjoy. He feels he had quite a long stint in the live racing presenter type role - which he enjoyed - but, as with any career, one needs to seek out new challenges. That role requires a lot of homework and the hours are greater than many would appreciate. The renumeration, relative to the hours, knowledge and presenting skills ideally needed are somewhat lower than what, in an ideal world, they ought to be - especially compared to some other jobs requiring less skill. He has 'thoughts' both on Trackside and the Box Seat in their current form. Would he be interested in a return to Trackside, should they extend an olive branch? Yes, potentially, but the exact format and nature of the role would obviously need to be agreed upon by both parties. Probably wouldn't be same as before.

General Fact: Mick has other interests beside racing media work :)

General Fact: The racing journalist/presenter world is a small one. Mick and Johnny do talk shop.

Speculation / Opinion: A previous poster also mentioned Sheldon Murther. While Sheldon is also knowledgeable and opinionated, I'm wondering if he comes from a different philosophical perspective than Mick. Mick is all about providing analytical race info from a punting perspective to encourage punting by the viewer and drive turn-over. I think Sheldon might enjoy painting the broader picture - telling the stories behind the horses and the people - generating interest in a different way. 35 v 36

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Would it be good if Mick returned to our screens? Yes, many would think so.

Will it happen? Depends upon Trackside's outlook.

Is he desperately keen to return? No. But if the right role & format was negotiated...

Do people need to be more supportive of the current presenters? Absolutely! Johnny and Jess are good presenters who will continue to develop over time.

And stop harpooning Craig. He's there to preview and analyse races. No more, no less. Can't understand why people get so annoyed with his style. Is that all there is in life to worry about?

Don't want to mention oil source. Hope nothing above is 'too out of school'. If so, Sherrif can censure. But its all from a positive, constructive perspective.

4bettor-orworse......sure Craig is there to preview and analysise etc etc but Mick did it to, only with more style, more panache (he'll have a laugh at that one)......mate he was intense, descriptive to the point - just flat out in there! ok

Mick may have diversified and could very well be happy as a pig in shit tearin around all over the place to earn a buck, and frankly I couldn't give a rats patoutie bout the bettin 'scandal' such as it was, fact: the hole left by of Mick aint been filled, and if the subject keeps comin up (much to your chagrin) then maybe it's because I and others have a point, you can lay it to rest as much as you want, for yourself; for the rest of us, the Boxseat aint what it was when Mick was frontin it! and that's fact......

Say what you want, they need to get him back! I haven't watched the Boxseat for ages (just caught the odd tidbit here and there I and others used to watch it religiously) but watched it the other day, gawd help me.........BRING BACK MICK! BRING BACK MICK! BRING BACK MICK!

Cheers Iraklis

Mick who? Wasnt he geoff smalls pr man

Ha Ha. Yep did sound that way at times. Personally nothing againsted The Whale,but he looks like Racings equivilant of CloseUp with Sainsbary. Neither look comfortable in front of a camera,and completely lacking in (as Iraklis said) Panache. Mike Hoskings completely changes the programme when he presents it. Forget the knowledge presented, its lost in a monotone presentation.ZZZZZZZZ.

And I love Jess, brilliant at her job and as Gruff said a breath of fresh air.

pushbutton_auto, Mick aint no crook! and it aint that simple, from my understanding what he did was far less worse than what Steel Balls did........

However, if you would like to contribute positively to the conversation re Micks frontin of The Boxseat etc and how it'd be good to get him back, then I for one reckon that the TAB would love to help relieve yuh of yuh freakin bridge...k :rolleyes:

Cheers Iraklis

He DELIBRATELY misled the betting PUBLIC about horses, so he and others could PROFIT from this dishonesty.

but whatever ...

Thats a bit rough chief ... I think the current staff do pretty well - though I dislike them talking all over the commentary coming down the straight. I would like to see Mick back

Mick was affiliated to the Small stable when many people felt Mr Small was acting in a manner detrimental to the industry in general. That aside the fact Mick stood by Mr Small when that relationship was under the spotlight suggested Mr Small was not the villain many suspected he was.

As a presenter I have nothing but respect for Mick. His knowledge and input were VERY helpful on the punt. I pride myself with ignoring the input of presenters-tipsters etc but Mick was someone I went out of my way to hear. Not only did he have genuine credibility he also presented in a style and manner that was very easy to take on board.

I honestly feel the ONLY negative I ever experienced with Mick Guerin was the fact his presentation and input highlighted how very average even hopeless some of the other presenters are.

If all that matters is $$ then I have this to say. Most weeks I spend around $350-$500 on my punting. On a bad week that is turned over to the tune of around $800. By bad week I don't mean a profit of $300. I simply mean I turned that money over to the tune of $800 before my account balance was at nil. On a good week that $350-$500 is turned over $3000-$4000 prior to making withdrawals or ending that week.

I can say with 100% honesty Mick Guerin was the ONLY Trackside presenter that routinely influenced my punting. I'm happy to admit I did very well thank you very much just from listening to his input on Trackside. His loss in my eyes was the biggest error Trackside have made in their 20 year existence. Guerin made a mistake. A mistake that could and should of been handled via internal discipline. Not only was Guerin light years ahead of the other presenters he was also not afraid to touch on controversial issues in harness racing. That is NOTHING like the other presenters who by and large avoid anything controversial at all costs. Trackside is the poorer as a result of this sanitized virgin white head in the sand nonsense. I feel this situation is at the heart of Guerins dismissal from Trackside as much as the betting incident. In other words Trackside used the betting incident to get rid of a presenter that didn't fit their puppet like preferred model.

Just my opinion.

Mick was affiliated to the Small stable when many people felt Mr Small was acting in a manner detrimental to the industry in general. That aside the fact Mick stood by Mr Small when that relationship was under the spotlight suggested Mr Small was not the villain many suspected he was.

As a presenter I have nothing but respect for Mick. His knowledge and input were VERY helpful on the punt. I pride myself with ignoring the input of presenters-tipsters etc but Mick was someone I went out of my way to hear. Not only did he have genuine credibility he also presented in a style and manner that was very easy to take on board.

I honestly feel the ONLY negative I ever experienced with Mick Guerin was the fact his presentation and input highlighted how very average even hopeless some of the other presenters are.

If all that matters is $$ then I have this to say. Most weeks I spend around $350-$500 on my punting. On a bad week that is turned over to the tune of around $800. By bad week I don't mean a profit of $300. I simply mean I turned that money over to the tune of $800 before my account balance was at nil. On a good week that $350-$500 is turned over $3000-$4000 prior to making withdrawals or ending that week.

I can say with 100% honesty Mick Guerin was the ONLY Trackside presenter that routinely influenced my punting. I'm happy to admit I did very well thank you very much just from listening to his input on Trackside. His loss in my eyes was the biggest error Trackside have made in their 20 year existence. Guerin made a mistake. A mistake that could and should of been handled via internal discipline. Not only was Guerin light years ahead of the other presenters he was also not afraid to touch on controversial issues in harness racing. That is NOTHING like the other presenters who by and large avoid anything controversial at all costs. Trackside is the poorer as a result of this sanitized virgin white head in the sand nonsense. I feel this situation is at the heart of Guerins dismissal from Trackside as much as the betting incident. In other words Trackside used the betting incident to get rid of a presenter that didn't fit their puppet like preferred model.

Just my opinion.

I'd like to support that opinion 110%