RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Splash

Southland Highlanders

With the likely demotion of Otago to the new Heartland Championship, it is understood the the NZRFU will change the name of the Highlanders to the more appropriate Southland Highlanders.

Apparently new merchandise is rolling off the production lines in China and fingers crossed should be available in stores for Christmas.

But that won't stop you wearing your much loved and well worn Stags jersey though will it Splash :D

Good season for your team for sure. Can they cap it off next week?

Agree

Last night was the biggest crowd I have seen for a while and for the 2nd year running looking at a semi-final. Southland area wise maybe the biggest region, their small population shows they are punching well above their weight.

Maybe the power of rugby is moving to provinces,well growd wise anyway.Have to feel for the so called losing teams,Manawatu have lost a few by close scores,Northland likewise.Even on last few results you have to say Taranaki are playing for nothing,the pride seems gone,especially if semis are not an option from last week.

Maybe the power of rugby is moving to provinces,well growd wise anyway.Have to feel for the so called losing teams,Manawatu have lost a few by close scores,Northland likewise.Even on last few results you have to say Taranaki are playing for nothing,the pride seems gone,especially if semis are not an option from last week.

If it's taken on how they've gone on the park, there's no team that doesn't deserve to be there. Even Counties have put in some decent efforts.

With the likely demotion of Otago to the new Heartland Championship, it is understood the the NZRFU will change the name of the Highlanders to the more appropriate Southland Highlanders.

Apparently new merchandise is rolling off the production lines in China and fingers crossed should be available in stores for Christmas.

Unions that have a super 14 team are protected from relegation. so therefore Otago won't get relegated. Southland are broke........they are in danger

What will be the Highlanders protected 24? Gets very messy in the back when you consider the new signings. I will have a crack below. Keen on other people's thoughts. Bear in mind their 24 must consist of a legitimate 22 plus two extras. I have listed below the names that may miss out. I have put two extra backs in for spots 23 and 24... I suspect they will go to the draft for a prop, lock and flanker.

Chris King

Jamie MacKintosh

Clint Newland

Jason Rutledge

David Hall

Tom Donnelly

Josh Bekhuis

Hayden Triggs

Adam Thomson

Alando Soakai

Stephen Setefano

Tim Boys

Jimmy Cowan

Sean Romans

Chris Noakes

Robbie Robinson

Jayden Hayward

Michael Hobbs

Johnny zzzta

James Paterson

Fetu'u Vainikolo

Karne Heskith

Ben Smith

Israel Dagg

In danger of missing out...

Keith Cameron

Jason MacDonald

Aaron Bancroft

Pehi Te Whare

Glen Horton

James Wilson

Jason Kawau

Brett Mather

Lucky Mulipola

Kendrick Lynn

Ryan Shortland

Michael Witt

Would be very interesting to analyse the crowd stats from each Air NZ Cup team. I am sure the likes of Southland, Bay of Plenty and Hawkes Bay will be leading the way...

It is very evident that the excitement for Air NZ Cup rugby this year very much lies outside the main centres, possibly with the exception of Wellington... And the NZRB are going to tinker once again with a format that seems to be working just fine. Ofcourse financial issues need to be sorted out and there could be arguments for dropping 1 or 2 teams from the Air NZ cup due to lack of community support and sponsorship.

Bring back promotion/relegation... I remember in the 90's when Bay of Plenty, Southland, Hawkes Bay and Northland battled between each other for the chance to make it into the 1st division. It was magic and it certainly added an intensity and dimension to 2nd division that is now sadly left wanting. Also the desperate fight to stay off the bottom of the 1st division is now a non issue.

Brilliant!!! How good was that!

One thing is for sure if the NZRB decide to soldier ahead with dropping 4 teams SOuthland have guarenteed their safety as I doubt the NZRB would like to see the shield go down to Heartland rugby.

Brilliant!!! How good was that!

One thing is for sure if the NZRB decide to soldier ahead with dropping 4 teams SOuthland have guarenteed their safety as I doubt the NZRB would like to see the shield go down to Heartland rugby.

This just goes to highlight the fickle nature of who gets the axe. At the start of the season Southland was in the gun, largely due to its poor finances and low population.

Now after a great season capped off by winning the Ranfurly Shield there is no way Southland will be cut. If nothing else, the Big Five provinces who control Steve Tew will tell him the Shield must remain in the top division, so Southland must stay.

Steve needs to unshackle himself from the clutches of the Big Five and look at what winning the Shield means to a province like Southland (or Taranaki, Bay of Plenty, Manawatu, Northland, etc, etc). This is where the true heartbeat of NZ rugby lies. This is where the passion remains. Don't flush it down the dunny Steve.

CONGRATS STAGS!!!

Habour should be first team to go!!!

Final!

I've always said that the bottom 4 should go if thats the criteria,but it isnt.Harbour on this years performances should be demoted.But the first to go??Where do you base this from?Has your daughter been shafted by a Harbour player?

The criteria(which I DONT agree with) is based on the last 4 years and consists of crowd support,sponsors,financial and playing performance.Harbour is safe because of finances and performance over 4 years.So,sorry bout dat:D

As I have said,the comp should remain at 14 teams.join www.saveourteams.co.nz and voice your opinion.

Totally agree with you. I would much prefer the 14 team competition but with Harbour under perfroming this season and Auckland right next door, not too mention Counties and Northland in the province, especially Northland who have more tradition.

Lets just hope everything stays as it has been like this year, the unpredicability of this competition makes it worth watching unlike the Super 14.