RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
D'Bandross

Meeting Notice: Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club

NOTICE OF SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING

Please be advised that a Special General Meeting of the Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club will be held in the Blossom Lady Lounge at Manawatu Raceway on Pioneer Highway, Palmerston North on

Sunday, 7 February 2010,

commencing at 6pm.

Regards, Deb.

Has Deb and Ashoka swapped roles or has Ashoka been sacked ?.

Why does the clubs part time photographer issue the notice of meeting and not wait for the Club Secretary to do the formal mail out to members.

Of greater concern is that Deb by virtue of her actions has robbed the paid up members of the courtesy of being told first of the meeting as protocol requires.

This is an insult to a Secretarys role and if indicative of behaviour within the Manawatu Club the sooner a RACE type concept for the CD is formed the better.

The Board and CD rep are on record as dealing direct with certain club committee members to undermine the Club management structure and in an effort to have Ashoka sacked.

Seems Deb may be one of them.?

Deb why the rush for what is after all a special meeting for members and not racecafers .

So why undermine the Secretary.?

Wow!!!!!What does it matter who signifies the meeting date as long as ALL members get to know about it.Race cafers are interested because the majority want to see Manawatu remain a viable force in the greyhound industry. Whether it can do that under current management remains to be seen but it might pay to "watch this space" before jumping to conclusions over where the actual problems lie.Things are not always what they seem.

Wow!!!!!What does it matter who signifies the meeting date as long as ALL members get to know about it.Race cafers are interested because the majority want to see Manawatu remain a viable force in the greyhound industry. Whether it can do that under current management remains to be seen but it might pay to "watch this space" before jumping to conclusions over where the actual problems lie.Things are not always what they seem.

Well it does in any organisation. If you check the constitutions of most organisations especially incorporated societies, you'd find clear rules and guidelines for the calling of and notification of meetings. The usual is that the president and secretary authorise such meetings or they can be called by a certain % of members signing a requisition, or the committee itself can do so. Likewise most constitutions set down how meetings are to be notified and to whom.

It's fairly standard so that meetings when called & publicly notified are authorised by the people empowered to do so and when notice is published members can be confident that the notice & the meeting is a genuine one and not the wildcat action of a disgruntled or dissident member that may later be invalidated.

I don't know the background to this incident but generically that is your answer and it is important who calls and notifies meetings otherwise we all could whenever we felt like having one and choose only to notify those who would support our viewpoint.

Please be advised that a Special General Meeting of the Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club will be held in the Blossom Lady Lounge at Manawatu Raceway on Pioneer Highway, Palmerston North on

Sunday, 7 February 2010,

commencing at 6pm.

Regards, Deb.

Sunday, 7 February 2010,

commencing at 6pm.

Regards, Deb.

This second notification appears to be the rather petulant action of a child,who is having a "hissy fit",it has been pointed out that such notification is understood to come from the secretary,so what happens? - another advisory post,that is not required. :(

Thank you Deb. It is good to see that someone knows the rules and that members have to have a letter sent out at least 14 day prior to such meeting.

And as for you IWMC, who gave you the right to pick on an elected committee

member when your mate has not done his job.

I did go to the AGM that was called for by the secretary and he did not show up.

Remember,IWMC,no information on the rumour the elected President has resigned,either,or any others?

Sort of sums up the catch cry of our national board and others,why do you want to know that for???

Bev

Hi Philocon, has Jimmy been to any committee meetings, as per vote,if the Prezzy has indeed resigned?

IWMC and Grahame Noblet,presumably members,seem pretty quiet at our Manawatu meetings but should have something to say,rule wise,about above..

Bev

Philicon the way the original thread read was that advice of a meeting was being signified, it was not being called by the person in question.It was simply a message letting race cafers know what is happening, and it doesn't take a president or secretary to do that, or even a committee member in fact.Often the media takes that role whether they be requested to or not. Surely the fate of Manawatu is something which interests the whole of the greyhound industry and therefore the moore the word is spread about their doings the better. Transparency is important if the current hassles are to be overcome.

Hi Philocon, has Jimmy been to any committee meetings, as per vote,if the Prezzy has indeed resigned?

IWMC and Grahame Noblet,presumably members,seem pretty quiet at our Manawatu meetings but should have something to say,rule wise,about above..

Bev

Ask Jimmy he probably has more information on his own activities than I could provide oconnell@kol.co.nz or (06)3673809. We share the same surname but are not that interchangeable and live 50km away from each other. I was present at the AGM but that's the limit of my current & recent involvement.

Philicon the way the original thread read was that advice of a meeting was being signified, it was not being called by the person in question.It was simply a message letting race cafers know what is happening, and it doesn't take a president or secretary to do that, or even a committee member in fact.Often the media takes that role whether they be requested to or not. Surely the fate of Manawatu is something which interests the whole of the greyhound industry and therefore the moore the word is spread about their doings the better. Transparency is important if the current hassles are to be overcome.

"Wow!!!!!What does it matter who signifies the meeting date as long as ALL members get to know about it......." was the comment I replied to. Not being a current club member and not having access to all the background arguments I have not involved myself in the internal arguments of the club. If I were to join (which I could and might yet), then I might well involve myself in internal club discussion. I think I indicated as much in the last sentence of my post when I said my post referred to the common generic criteria for calling & notifying meetings.

Yes I agree the fate of Manawatu or any other CD club or any greyhound club in NZ for that matter concerns the industry which is why I like many others am watching the situation with interest. However it is for the members to sort out the running of their club and I am at present not one.

Its called protocol all clubs have a constitution, and also the notice has to list the items to be discussed and discussion should only be whats on the agenda (normally)

Venessa

Funny how a simple notice to members can become so controversial.

The notice was intended to warn members that a meeting has been scheduled and give them sufficient notice, nothing more. As a number of members are also Racecafers, it makes sense to utilise the facility and in so doing get the word out to all.

A written notice to members will be forthcoming however, members may not receive formal notification within the time frame set down in the constitution.

The agenda forms part of the formal notification and is for members information only.

I would hope that the members reading this advice will pass the word round to ensure that we get maximum participation.

If you are not a member then the advice formal or informal does not affect you.

Regards, Deb.

Funny how a simple notice to members can become so controversial.

You can't win, Deb...

Do what you have done and you get shot down for not following 'protocol'.

Do nothing and, sure as eggs is eggs, someone won't learn of the meeting and will want everyone beaten about the head for not bothering to use all the available technology such as e-mail and/or web messaging...

This is the 21st Century, folks. Even Betty Windsor was getting text messages from Wills when he was here. Though whether any ran along the lines of 'Oh, Gran, a Special General Meeting of the Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club will be held...', I dunno.

This second notification appears to be the rather petulant action of a child,who is having a "hissy fit",it has been pointed out that such notification is understood to come from the secretary,so what happens? - another advisory post,that is not required. :(

That face suits you Mr Noblet. lol.

can win debs.

"Do what you have done and you get shot down for not following 'protocol'.

Do nothing and, sure as eggs is eggs, someone won't learn of the meeting and will want everyone beaten about the head for not bothering to use all the available technology such as e-mail and/or web messaging..."

Just keep on truckin, thats how u win.U stop thats how u lose.:cool:

As I said I am not yet a member but from where I sit the whole thing looks to be a beat up to disguise other behind the scenes issues that this forum is not yet the appropriate place to discuss. Washing dirty underwear in public while your own washing machine is still functioning properly, is not a standard practice (well at least not in our society).

As mentioned the provisions of incorporated societies' constitutions set down a process for notifying meetings and if the secretary fails to follow that then the club members have their redress through the constitutional processes and as a last resort referring the matter to the Registrar of Incorporated Societies who has power to intervene and ensure the constitution is upheld. He/she has fairly wide powers including being able to accept or reject amendments to the constitution if they don't meet the set minimum criteria etc.

So if the secretary had failed to comply with the notification requirements of the constitution, there is provision in that same constitution for members to redress it.

An inquorate or invalidated meeting due to notices not being issued properly could still have been recalled and held as required and the secretary would have some questions to answer and explaining to do.

I have been a member of organisations where the minimum meeting notice has not been met but the meeting has been uncontentious and proceeded without incident albeit at the risk of being invalidated if someone has been nitpicking.

I have also been in organisations where the secretary has failed to meet such notification deadline where issues are more contentious and in such cases the meeting has been properly held, but just a few weeks or so later than originally planned and someone had to answer for it.

Irrespective of what the issues are, the responsibility is on the secretary to publicly notify such meetings for all the reasons mentioned including those that Venessa and myself mentioned and if he doesn't, to hold him accountable and ensure a valid meeting is scheduled and properly notified, not take the law into their own hands.

Simply because the meeting content is contentious or some members are angry over something is not a reason to bypass such procedures.

I know someone is bound to challenge me on it so may as well clarify it now. While I referred to the registrar's powers, the Registrar's office is reluctant to (or virtually won't) intervene directly in the internal affairs of a society and will usually advise concerned members to seek independent legal advice where other avenues have been exhausted. The most common role is to offer advice to ensure annual returns are met and refuse to register constitutions and amendments till they meet criteria set by the office. I have had amendments returned to me by the registrar when a secretary of other organisations pointing out those rule changes cannot be registered in their current format and advising what is required for them to gain approval.

But my point still stands that there is adequate provisions for concerned members to follow through without having to pre-empt official notices with their own.

can win debs.

"Do what you have done and you get shot down for not following 'protocol'.

Do nothing and, sure as eggs is eggs, someone won't learn of the meeting and will want everyone beaten about the head for not bothering to use all the available technology such as e-mail and/or web messaging..."

Just keep on truckin, thats how u win.U stop thats how u lose.:cool:

If you dont follow the correct procedure the meeting may be null and viod, in which case it would all be a waste of time

Cant see anybody challenging you because they will have gone to sleep well before they got to the end of your epistle.

Yes it's so much easier to argue without allowing rules, facts, reality etc to get in the way. Gut feeling and prejudice always works best especially when there's a risk of the facts and reality proving you wrong.

I notice that when people upload long posts you agree with you don't make the same comments.

Our mail arrived today, no letter of notification.

Venessa if your board asked you to send out a letter what do you think would happen if you did not do it?

Bev

Wouldn't the first step be to check with other members to see if they got their's first. Or are you assuming that the mail service and all clubs' membership lists etc are infallible and there is only one point of possible failure and only one explanation?

Wouldn't the next step be to contact the secretary and and president etc to ask why?

Then there are the constitutional solutions I mentioned earlier if someone has slipped up. How do you see a discussion on racecafe being a better substitute than what is provided for constitutionally through the internal actions of members?

Personal experience tells me that debate on race cafe is often more honest, genuine and forthright than it is at meetings when those with the loudest voices usually dominate discussions.It can be more verbose too, can't it?

Personal experience tells me that debate on race cafe is often more honest, genuine and forthright than it is at meetings when those with the loudest voices usually dominate discussions.It can be more verbose too, can't it?

It can be Umbrage...This Club Mentality is so sick, and holding the sport back at present. If we can break through the barrier and communicate with the latest Technologies available to us and be honest with ourselves we can all achieve an outcome..We have some sick puppies amongst us that need to go to G.A.P. and wait in line for the better performers to be re homed first