RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
wackj

FFA Debacle

Not much being said about the debacle that was the Show Day FFA. What a monumental disaster it was starting at the mile. The race was not a contest it was a farce. Gold Ace deserved to win but in reality was handed the race on a plate. Hopefully next year it goes back to 2000m.

Makes you wonder why anyone would thing a proven failed concept would suddenly be any different this time around.

The club should thank their lucky stars that half the field didn't scratch, as the race was all but over at barrier draw time.

Epic fail.

Hahaha.....the winner may have been predictable after the first 50m ,but @ nearly $5 Gold Ace was not fav and had to be good to win.

Plus Pure Power surprised most with his 2nd and I doubt his connectios and punters thought the race was a farce.

The divis were good in the race , a record time was set and hardly what you would call a farce !!!

I'll stick up for Addington on this one.

Firstly they have tried something a bit different - yes I know the history of mile racing at Addington and the difficulties of the start. But there were some good mile races in the past, and the mile race is still a big deal in Harness racing.

As far as Friday's race went - the way I look at it you had a super horse get to the front and run a super time. He probably would've gone close in the Cup with a good get away, so it's not like a poor horse just won with the aid of the draw. He also had a good horse on his back and the cup winner up parked - so it was a genuine contest.

I would also point out that there have been a few processions over the course of the 2 days over all distances - just due to superb performances from a number of horses.

But my main point is at least they were trying something - we all sit back and criticise the clubs for not being innovative. They must think they can't win.

I was expecting the mobile to be replaced with the DeLorean from Back To The Future, and to see it come hurtling around the bend at 88mph, and we'd all be transported back in time to last episode of The Met played this sick joke of mile racing at Addington.

Just to ramp things up a bit, maybe next year they could start 10 off the front and make it a 1700m race, so that.the barrier draw was even more important, and they could make an even bigger laughing stock of a once great race!

I'll stick up for Addington on this one.

Firstly they have tried something a bit different - yes I know the history of mile racing at Addington and the difficulties of the start. But there were some good mile races in the past, and the mile race is still a big deal in Harness racing.

As far as Friday's race went - the way I look at it you had a super horse get to the front and run a super time. He probably would've gone close in the Cup with a good get away, so it's not like a poor horse just won with the aid of the draw. He also had a good horse on his back and the cup winner up parked - so it was a genuine contest.

I would also point out that there have been a few processions over the course of the 2 days over all distances - just due to superb performances from a number of horses.

But my main point is at least they were trying something - we all sit back and criticise the clubs for not being innovative. They must think they can't win.

Quite the contrary. They didn't "try something a bit different" at all. What they did with drag out a tried and failed idea from last century, that the administrators of the time had the good sense to can, and re-proved that the mile racing at Addington is still a joke!

That's not "try something different" - that's the definition of insanity!

Quite the contrary. They didn't "try something a bit different" at all. What they did with drag out a tried and failed idea from last century, that the administrators of the time had the good sense to can, and re-proved that the mile racing at Addington is still a joke!

That's not "try something different" - that's the definition of insanity!

I just don't get all the negativity on this thread.

We are talking about a club which has just run a successful Cup Week - got 21,000 + people on course on Cup Day, had super fields and great racing, introduced the ranking system this year to generate greater pre cup interest, and had the balls to try something "new" for the FFA which was starting to decline.

And everyone here is calling them insane etc etc.

What would you do to freshen up the FFA?

Yes, they tried a few different things around the NZ Cup, and they were mostly positive, but the FFA changes were not.

The actual race doesn't need to be freshened up. It just needs to be treated as the major race that it is - or at least was. The stake money on offer would have you believe that it was of less significance than a minor support race on Jewels day, or even a limited entry sales series race!

Change for the sake of change is just plain stupid, especially when the changes being made were proven to be a failure in the past. You could run the race the other way around, run it in the dark with the drivers wearing miners lamps, and finish it in the back straight, for all the average TAB punter cares!

The administrators seem to have forgotten that it's the hardcore, on course attendees that are the backbone of the industry. You can market all you like to the once a year party goers, they're not where the answer lies, and neither are mile races at Addington.

You want to now how to rejuvenate the race?

• Give it some decent stakemoney
  • Maybe move it back a few days to allow the Cup runners to recuperate
  • Go back to 2000m
  • At least a 12 horse field - 12 plus emergencies
  • Make it a legitimate target in itself instead of a Cup after thought

Yes, they tried a few different things around the NZ Cup, and they were mostly positive, but the FFA changes were not.

The actual race doesn't need to be freshened up. It just needs to be treated as the major race that it is - or at least was. The stake money on offer would have you believe that it was of less significance than a minor support race on Jewels day, or even a limited entry sales series race!

Change for the sake of change is just plain stupid, especially when the changes being made were proven to be a failure in the past. You could run the race the other way around, run it in the dark with the drivers wearing miners lamps, and finish it in the back straight, for all the average TAB punter cares!

Where have you been Jack ???Not so long ago .....in about 2008....the stake was doubled to $300k.AReactor ,on the way up, whipped the Cup runners most of whom were still recovering from a record time run Cup.One trainer told me his horse had lost his edge but he felt obliged to back-up.....this afterall was Cup week !!!Others felt no such obligation and as their horse was not at peak they rested ,despite the nice stake.In 2009 ONLY 6 horses raced for $225k....AR was attacked in front and all hell broke loose !!!By now it became obvious that unless horses were 'jumping out of their skin' after the Cup , connections would rest for the big season ahead.The past few years had bigger fields for less stake but in my view were fairly ho-hum.They tried something different this year.....one of the top 2 stand-outs got the draw and won.I can't see how it was a debacle.The race is not the main race of week....the Cup is.....the FFA is not even the the main race of day....the Dominion is.Several horses performed brilliantly on day.....MLavros,Smolda,ICanDoosit,Stig and TFGinga among them.An enjoyable day ,excellent racing on a Holiday ,during daylight.Yes,the crowd has been getting fewer in recent times since the Show changed venues ,even the Prince went there.Agree with previous poster......No need for such negativity.Ive witnessed dozens of Cups ,many were memorable ,but can't recall too many FFA's too fondly.Lordship seemed to do well from mobile and Robalan won 3 in row but Waipara Lad and the 8 and 6 horse races or processions didn't get me too excited.Maybe you were too young to attend !!! :DThe administrators seem to have forgotten that it's the hardcore, on course attendees that are the backbone of the industry. You can market all you like to the once a year party goers, they're not where the answer lies, and neither are mile races at Addington.

You want to now how to rejuvenate the race?

• Give it some decent stakemoney
  • Maybe move it back a few days to allow the Cup runners to recuperate
  • Go back to 2000m
  • At least a 12 horse field - 12 plus emergencies
  • Make it a legitimate target in itself instead of a Cup after thought

Whoops....my reply got mixed up with JacksCrap.

The few negaholics can decipher it if they please.

:D

Deciphered and agreed with.

Worth also pointing out that Rich Bromley from Addington ran a bloody good punters competition oncourse on Show Day again, and having Jordan Luck playing on course was a lot of fun for some of us oldies !!!

Quality of racing was super as you say (and I enjoyed the FFA - maybe because I backed the winner - if it was so one dimensional due to the draw why didnt you all get on????)

Anyone actually know the reasons why they changed from 2000 to 1609

I think after the past 4 years where there had been 8 starters then 6 starters then more the past 2 but some of Cup 'place- getters ' not starting they tried to 'freshen' the race up a bit ,as doubling the stake in 2008 had done nothing.The idea was to select the first 6 home in Cup, guarantee a start for Tuesdays 3 yr old winner ,which seemed highly unlikely then select 3 others which would appeal to mobile horses Sir Lincoln and AReactor and some Australians who may come over.At the time everyone realised it may not suceed but trainers etc generally thought it worth a shot.Don't lose sleep over it !!!:D

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that the FFA has fallen from grace, and it's easy to see why. For those that can't see, I'll point out the obvious. (Let's hope a few Met officials read Racecafe!)

1. The race is called the New Zealand Free For All. It's not the Show Day FFA, or the Addingtom FFA, or the Canterbury FFA, but the New Zealand Free For All, and as such should be treated as the #1 mobile FFA race in the country, and staked accordingly.
  2. The modern racehorse isn't as tough as his predecessors. They don't back up like they used to. Hence the demise of the Interdominions. So why run it 3 days after the NZ Cup. It should be a race run at least a week, if not more, after Cup Day to enable all horses to be adequately prepared.
  3. It should be a stand alone race, and a legitimately targeted race in it's own right, rather than an after thought for NZ Cup runners that haven't been totally drained by the toughest 2 mile race in the country 3 day prior. It could even be programmed a fortnight before the Cup as a major Cup lead up. That would be much more appealing to Australian entrants than the current set-up.
  4. And then there's the mile start - it's too stupid for words, so I won't waste any more on it.

Why not run it on the Saturday night 9 days before the Cup. It could be the "grand final" for some, and a perfect lead in to the Cup for others. It would entice the Aussies by giving them 2 shots at big money here, and still be able to return for the Miracle Mile.

Now that would be trying something new, unlike that rehashed farce we were served up this year. After this years changes, the NZ FFA is fast descending to the level of other B Grade features such as.the Truer Memorial, Ballarat ans SA Cup's..

Enough with the "glass half empty" drivel, lets hear a better plan. God knows the Met guys need some help!

Why not run it on the Saturday night 9 days before the Cup. It could be the "grand final" for some, and a perfect lead in to the Cup for others. It would entice the Aussies by giving them 2 shots at big money here, and still be able to return for the Miracle Mile.

Now that would be trying something new, unlike that rehashed farce we were served up this year. After this years changes, the NZ FFA is fast descending to the level of other B Grade features such as.the Truer Memorial, Ballarat ans SA Cup's..

Enough with the "glass half empty" drivel, lets hear a better plan. God knows the Met guys need some help!

Not too sure what the Ashburton and Kaikoura clubs would think of your idea.In particular Ashburton ,where many of the Cup starters line up each year.Then there is the trainers support ???How many trainers would want their horses aiming for the Holy Grail NZ Cup ,3200m from a stand start ,lining up 9 days prior in a Mobile mile to be run in 1min 52secs.I'd suggest not many !!!!In closing may I suggest ,as you obviously are an "ideas person" ,that you join the committee of the NZ Met and work from there.

That spot 9 days out was just a suggestion off the top of my head. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to juggle a few dates to keep everyone happy. It just needs a few minds that aren't stuck in "because that's the way we've always done it" mode.

Forget mile racing at Addington - it's too stupid for words - if they want to run over a mile they need to transfer the meeting to Ashburton. With an industry already in decline, this sort of rubbish can do nothing but accelerate the downhill slide.

If starting races on a bend is such a good idea, why aren't we doing it all the time?

That spot 9 days out was just a suggestion off the top of my head. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to juggle a few dates to keep everyone happy. It just needs a few minds that aren't stuck in "because that's the way we've always done it" mode.

Forget mile racing at Addington - it's too stupid for words - if they want to run over a mile they need to transfer the meeting to Ashburton. With an industry already in decline, this sort of rubbish can do nothing but accelerate the downhill slide.

If starting races on a bend is such a good idea, why aren't we doing it all the time?

A dumb idea to do all the time......this was a 'change' ,an experiment something different.....thinking outside the box.When it was announced Ant Butt ,probably aware some change was necessary ,gave the 'change' his backing and as he is active in Horsemans Assoc. or whatever one can assume the trainers etc were happy with the experiment.The argument re mile racing and barrier draws etc comes up every year around jewels time so this is nothing new.In Aussie they seem to try new things.....race over 1000m etc,saddle trots etc.....novelty things.This change is nothing different.....they certainly were not happy in 2008-9 with tiny fields racing for bigger stakes.I just hope you got the $4.80 plus divi and latched on to the great exotics divis as the result was so obvious.I hope you didn't back Mish Mish as the horse that trailed was certain of a place in top4 at least !!!!:D

I get stuck into Racing Clubs all the time when they don't perform. But in this instance I don't get what they have done that justifies your comment they need help???

Are you basing that simply on the mile issue, or how they go overall??

Going back to the FFA my thinking is this.

During Cup Week you have the best open class pacers in NZ gathered in ChCh (+ an Aussie or two). Giving them 2 chances to run in the week makes sense.

If you accept those points then what do you do on Show Day (or are you saying no open class race on Show Day?)

This year the Club had a go at something "new". A couple of things that are relevant - the corners at Addington have a different profile than the old days of mile racing so there is a view that assists. We also have a passing lane as well which changes the pattern of racing. And some drivers gave the concept a thumbs up.

At the end of the day this years experiment attracted a field of 9 who started in the Cup (including the Aussie) - achieved a good time of 1.52.6, and had the first 6 covered by under 3 lengths.

Now the fact a top horse drew well and ran them off their feet doesnt necessarily mean it was a failure??. That happens at the Meadowlands as well....

A one off every year doesn't cause me any grief, and I applaud the Met for having a go.

Good on the Met for trying something new in an attempt to improve the number of starters, which may or may not have been a success. I thought it was a good race and it took a really good horse to win it.

Personally I would like it to be over 2000m, not 1950m, as the outside horses on the arm are going slightly faster than the inside ones when they get to the start point, and have a good chance of getting over into a reasonable position once they have sorted themselves out. This helps to reduce the disadvantage of a wide draw from a mobile start. As cup horses have been prepared for a standing start in the big race then why not have a standing start for the Free-For-All, either at the 2000m or mile start perhaps. I know Mr. Street will have a fit and a lot of you on here are against standing starts but they are a lot fairer than mobile starts in my humble opinion.

The mind boggles at how this concept is anything "new". when It's a re-hash of a concept that died a natural death decades ago.

The biggest issue I see with the FFA is when it's run. Backing up 3 days after the Cup was fine 20 years, or maybe even 10 years ago, but it's an outdated plan now-a-days. Picking out the odd year is a bit misleading. Take a look at the trend over the past 10, 15 or 20 years, and you'll see that the FFA has gone from being an integral part of ever cup runners program, to an add-on for the few that can handle the workload.

I'm a big fan of tradition, but sometimes you have to take a look at outdated traditions, and modernise them. The 3 day back up is one such out-dated tradition, and needs to be addressed. Changing the race distance, and throwing in a ridiculous start point is a "change", but it doesn't address the real issue, which is timing of the race.

And yes, I did have a nice collect on the winner, but would have been much nicer if either Terror To Love had managed to hang in there for second, or Franco Ledger had gotten a clear run. Would have had quinellas and trifecta coming out my ears!