RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hound Fan

What under greyhound rules makes a field?

My understanding is our rules clearly say 8 dogs plus reserves,yet our racing committee in greyhound newzealand cannot give a answer to wether it is 8 or 10 dogs.-------so why worry? Well it makes a hell of a difference to selections and wether dogs get a start-- if its 8 then you can not be made reserve if you had a second prefrence,your second prefrence comes into play-------- if its 10 they can then say as reserve you have been selected in a field and your other prefrences dont count,even to the degree if there is another combined race and you have better form you are still dembed to have been selected ie a c5 race and a combined c4/5 c4 dogs get a start before the c5 reserves from the first race.--------- the major point here is waikato was on thursday selected on the basis 8 starters make a field,so in that case all reserve dogs if any should have had there second preferences reconised and got a start in those races,intresting to see if this was the case.?----------The worst thing out of this even in the definition of a field it clearly states field plus reserves,they allow a club to select outside our rules, in my opinion

My understanding is our rules clearly say 8 dogs plus reserves,yet our racing committee in greyhound newzealand cannot give a answer to wether it is 8 or 10 dogs.-------so why worry? Well it makes a hell of a difference to selections and wether dogs get a start-- if its 8 then you can not be made reserve if you had a second prefrence,your second prefrence comes into play-------- if its 10 they can then say as reserve you have been selected in a field and your other prefrences dont count,even to the degree if there is another combined race and you have better form you are still dembed to have been selected ie a c5 race and a combined c4/5 c4 dogs get a start before the c5 reserves from the first race.--------- the major point here is waikato was on thursday selected on the basis 8 starters make a field,so in that case all reserve dogs if any should have had there second preferences reconised and got a start in those races,intresting to see if this was the case.?----------The worst thing out of this even in the definition of a field it clearly states field plus reserves,they allow a club to select outside our rules, in my opinion

Either way it should not make a difference as at the recent NZGRA AGM they said there are now more dogs in the North Island than races. This has been the case in the South Island for at least the last three years.

If this is the case there should be no races with less than 8 dogs at the start line unless extreme circumstances prevail!!

Here a Tui billboard add coming on??

I can see exactly what your issue is here. I've personally had enough of dog's being used as fill in's to card higher graded field's when obviously they haven't had the nom's to card it, ie: full 8 dog field of c3 dog's and they chuck in two c2 dog's as reserves? I wasn't aware until you noted it that if you had a second preference then your dog should go into that, I will be the first one on the phone in future when I feel this hasn't happened...mind you that's a waste of time because there's always an excuse as to why your dog isn't in. Flag the 6 dog maiden distance "let's have a go" races and card something that will at least draw a full field with reserves, I personally find these 6 dog maiden distance races more painful than having your wisdom teeth out.