RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Hi guys - new to racecafe and want to take punting more seriously.

Was wondering if anyone can advise of a good/proven betting model to use. Specifically, I want to have structure around how much I'm betting based on percieved value and I want to manage my balance.

I was thinking of starting with a set balance of $5,000, with each individual bet capped at for example 2% of my total balance ($100 to begin with), if balance increased to $10,000 this 2% figure would become $200 and vice versa if the balance reduced.

Where I come unstuck is what these percentages should be to ensure I never go bust, and also how to increase/decrease the amound waged based on risk/value/confidence.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Hi norbit, i am no expert on the matter but you seem to have the general idea behind it, betting 2% of your bank is a common practise used by some professionals. You may want to start keeping a record of your bank with play money and try and work out what races you are most/least successful in. e.g. Backing on pace horses in a race where it looks to be devoid of speed, staying away from horses rising in class from there maiden win's etc... As a keen racing follower i think it's fair to say you want to be staying clear of horses that get back and solely rely on race tempo. Many people black book the horse flashing home for 4th but many forget a horse that battles on well for 4th after having to work early... I know what one win more often.

You will need to record every bet you place and stay away from impulse betting, maybe have 4-5 bets a week depending on what you are keen on, if there is nothing you have confidence to back, then you have to be prepared to not bet at all. ( can always put away a certain amount each week for exotic bets / all ups etc.

Another handy tool is to start doing your own markets before you look at the proper odds set. You will struggle at first, but after a bit of practise you will soon get the hang of it, and can see easily if you are getting 'value'.

Would certainly stay away from long odds on pops, multi'ing multiple horses in multi bets as its a sure fire way to go broke.

I would certainly stay away from Chris Thompson's selections as he can get ANY $1.30 shot beaten, excl. Black Caviar!

Finally if you want to really start punting seriously get away from the NZ TAB. They are absolute poison, open yourself a betfair or go and use some of the Aussie corporates free bet's they all offer.