RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
POPA GAS

Teletext

Turnovers are going down because the Teletext is not updating on time.

If you watch, a race is run and it does not change, sometimes up to 3 min.

This happend to CH-CH on Friday night on race 1 and it happened to Wang race 10. Race 10, the dogs had run over half the race before teletext changed.

CH-CH on race 1 did $3.1k on win and $1.8k on place. Wang did $3.8k on win and $2.3k on place.(sorry I did not write down the whole thing just k and the hundreds).

Again,on OZ races,swapped over with just 10 sec to start on a trot race,and all these on txt 606 and 607.

Doesn't anyone keep a check on this stuff?

Bev

This happend to CH-CH on Friday night on race 1 and it happened to Wang race 10. Race 10, the dogs had run over half the race before teletext changed.

CH-CH on race 1 did $3.1k on win and $1.8k on place. Wang did $3.8k on win and $2.3k on place.(sorry I did not write down the whole thing just k and the hundreds).

Again,on OZ races,swapped over with just 10 sec to start on a trot race,and all these on txt 606 and 607.

Bev

Try Online Tab, prices are poor but up to date.

Cheers Jim Baird

Bev

For a long time, concerned people like yourself,Lloyd Gill and Aquaman to name a few have bought to attention the falling turnovers and some possible reasons for the cause of this. One would have thought that our Association and bunch of wise ones would have addressed this as a paramount problem that if not kept in check will set the sport back indefinitely. Whoever is responsible for this obviously doesn't care a toss.It appears Racecafe is checked on a routine basis and when it suits they go to unusual costly lengths to charge people that do care and are only expressing their opinions as they see it. Can I suggest Bev Whanganui could be a starting point. John MacArthur instead of possibly dobbing me in the other day for something I was subsequently not guilty of should start performing (and be openly transparent)

John Michaels is the official "Business Development Manager' and surely this problem must be on his radar. I wonder if he in actual fact knows the figures of turnover like the passionate people do. It would be interesting to see if anyone is up with play in the tower of our future, actually :)

You would have 2 think that having 10 races with fixed odds on a friday night say would seriously impact on tote turnovers.what happens if davey boy,moany ,robin wales and co get there act together and end up taking 10 grand off the bookmakers.what percentage would the greyhounds get out of the bookies losing $10,000??

You would have 2 think that having 10 races with fixed odds on a friday night say would seriously impact on tote turnovers.what happens if davey boy,moany ,robin wales and co get there act together and end up taking 10 grand off the bookmakers.what percentage would the greyhounds get out of the bookies losing $10,000??

What percentage will the greyhounds get at the moment with most of our bigger betters getting shafted by P.C. and co and taking there well needed money off shore.

The odds of this problem being attended to by the Assoc and nipping the problem in the bud would be interesting.

What percentage will the greyhounds get at the moment with most of our bigger betters getting shafted by P.C. and co and taking there well needed money off shore.

The odds of this problem being attended to by the Assoc and nipping the problem in the bud would be interesting.

you could only get $5 on it clarkie it would be 100-1

Bev

Teletext is a bit like the Jetbet system, its outdated, been flogged to pieces, overworked and falling apart. What happened on Sunday is no accident, it will happen again, and is a reflection on the racing industry in NZ. I fear for the future in this country. They spend a million on the salary for the new CEO to run the industry, meanwhile the infastructure is falling apart. Go figure.

Teletext is a bit like the Jetbet system, its outdated, been flogged to pieces, overworked and falling apart. What happened on Sunday is no accident, it will happen again, and is a reflection on the racing industry in NZ. I fear for the future in this country. They spend a million on the salary for the new CEO to run the industry, meanwhile the infastructure is falling apart. Go figure.

There are many reasons why turnover is dropping in NZ. The TAB is way behind the bandwagon in regards to Customer Service, Employing skilled personal at all levels, Poor computer systems in place (e.g. point of sale), a lot of bad publicity and the loss of good tote operators and customer service staff

Vaughn Clark and Paul Ally have been big losses to this organization and, I continually hear bad customer service stories.

I

You can blame teletext, trackside, TAB . uncle tom cobly and all but the truth is greyhound racing has become boring, boring,boring. The same punting trainers winning every race they compete in. Fewer and fewer punters mean smaller and smaller divies. And the negative publicity generated by the antics of so called top trainers has been a big turn off for many previous greyhound enthusiasts.

You can blame teletext, trackside, TAB . uncle tom cobly and all but the truth is greyhound racing has become boring, boring,boring. The same punting trainers winning every race they compete in. Fewer and fewer punters mean smaller and smaller divies. And the negative publicity generated by the antics of so called top trainers has been a big turn off for many previous greyhound enthusiasts.

as a newbie why would you want to get involved on reading these threads (negativity) and yes boring it is unless you have an interest either owning or punting or both. myself i just try and ignore most things but ever now and again a thread like yours hits it on the head exactly the way i see racing at the moment. I never deny anybody winners but some consistenly win most WHY----- MONEY invested ON GOOD RACING STOCK Trained better maybe. But its a business now not a part time hobby as i am told regular on Race Cafe. I train dogs to get the best out of what i have and hope to break even on a winning punt and enjoy the results if you do your job well in a hobbiest way.

Cheers Jim Baird

There are many reasons why turnover is dropping in NZ. The TAB is way behind the bandwagon in regards to Customer Service, Employing skilled personal at all levels, Poor computer systems in place (e.g. point of sale), a lot of bad publicity and the loss of good tote operators and customer service staff

Vaughn Clark and Paul Ally have been big losses to this organization and, I continually hear bad customer service stories.

I

Try Online Tab, prices are poor but up to date.

Cheers Jim Baird

I would like to thank the bookies for opening Gold for Thys up at $12 fixed yesterday, it did it easy and paid $7.60 on the tote. I had to mention it because it's a very rare occurance that we get more from the bookies than the TAB!!

I would like to thank the bookies for opening Gold for Thys up at $12 fixed yesterday, it did it easy and paid $7.60 on the tote. I had to mention it because it's a very rare occurance that we get more from the bookies than the TAB!!

Their getting the prices right. Well done.

cheers Jim Baird

We are severely lacking in our code in offering our maiden dogs any assistance leading up to their race debut. The two other codes have many forms of help in the way of jump outs ,trials etc . What do we offer and who really cares? Why can't clubs put on non tote trials or races for this grade?

Think about it!!. A maiden dog is expected to go to the races and experience all the pressure of a race day yet is not given an opportunity to learn the trade before having to face this task.

If they are unlucky enough to get a win and advance to C.1 they face a huge task. 1/ Other talented dogs that have won a race as well

2/ Dogs that have experience but because they are not up to much but have been running around in maidens for dozens of starts

3/ Dogs that have been allowed to downgrade from any grade. Astute trainers are doing this and are being given the chance to win two more in this grade before advancing to c.2 . Crazy if you ask me and the maiden dogs are copping it from all angles. I know some people new to the sport that have reared some pups and gone through all the costs and trouble associated with it. They started two of the the pups and duly finished 7th and 8th. Since then they have nominated and have been unable to gain a start getting second reserve on two occasions. This happens all of the time and who at the right level really cares a stuff?. Then you have many beautiful dogs with caring owners all waiting for starts in c.1 They havn't got enough points and there is no chance of them getting any cause no one cares a stuff.. They are going to GAP or getting their lives extinguished cause no one care a stuff.. About time this was addressed. Surely its not too hard. How about two Non tote starts under full race day conditions after qualifying being mandatory. This could give them a chance to gain experience and give our betting supporters a real look at form. Petrol vouchers and maybe some remuneration could be found surely to compensate in some small way.

Make them Sweepstakes races for out of form or learning Maidens. Now bite my tongue as this will bring hell down on me ,

The answer may be do away with running out noms for maidens and possibly fall in line with issues that are being rationlised in discussion both here and Aussie about over racing of greyhounds E.G.the racing out nominations some dogs line up 3 times in 10 days doing this. Just an idea

Cheers Jim Baird

Everyone has their own theories for why turnover diminishes and racing is in decline and most blame their pet hatred including you. Yours happens to be the behaviour of some leading trainers. The reality is that it is more complex than a few errors on teletext, bad behaviour of some high profile people or trackside, tab etc. Racing has had to fight for it's share of the leisure dollar more and more since the days when, to use the old cliche, rugby racing & beer was the only entertainment on the block. I can recall when working at the Thoroughbred Racing back in the late 70s and 1980s the warnings within the industry then that we could expect declines in turnovers as there became not just more competition for the leisure dollar and forms of entertainment but new forms of gambling and the industry needed to gear itself to face the competition. There are a whole range of factors that affect turnovers and interest but trying to find a single scapegoat does nothing except reinforce existing prejudices and assumptions based on individual likes and dislikes but doesn't address the causes.

Personally I think the decline is caused by too many people walking around with racebooks in their hand. Who would go to the track to watch that?! I don't know whether there's any factual basis to it, most likely not, but it's as good an explanation as all the others I've heard here.

Their getting the prices right. Well done.

cheers Jim Baird

I must add I was surprised with the value that fixed odd's offered yesterday for the Akl greyhound meeting, they were certainly not there normal rubbish!!So perhaps your right and they are adjusting accordingly, about time!!!

Everyone has their own theories for why turnover diminishes and racing is in decline and most blame their pet hatred including you. Yours happens to be the behaviour of some leading trainers. The reality is that it is more complex than a few errors on teletext, bad behaviour of some high profile people or trackside, tab etc. Racing has had to fight for it's share of the leisure dollar more and more since the days when, to use the old cliche, rugby racing & beer was the only entertainment on the block. I can recall when working at the Thoroughbred Racing back in the late 70s and 1980s the warnings within the industry then that we could expect declines in turnovers as there became not just more competition for the leisure dollar and forms of entertainment but new forms of gambling and the industry needed to gear itself to face the competition. There are a whole range of factors that affect turnovers and interest but trying to find a single scapegoat does nothing except reinforce existing prejudices and assumptions based on individual likes and dislikes but doesn't address the causes.

Personally I think the decline is caused by too many people walking around with racebooks in their hand. Who would go to the track to watch that?! I don't know whether there's any factual basis to it, most likely not, but it's as good an explanation as all the others I've heard here.

Thank you for that sermon philocon :) I have had a long attachment to greyhounds and have a lot of friends who are all lovers of greyhounds and are distressed at the direction greyhound racing has gone. The loss of integrity in the industry comming from those at the top that condone anything that means more track record breakers less drug testing and a head honcho now who has never taken the rules seriously unless he agrees with them. Incidentally in all the years I raced greyhounds I cannot ever recall meeting you at the track.

Thank you for that sermon philocon :) I have had a long attachment to greyhounds and have a lot of friends who are all lovers of greyhounds and are distressed at the direction greyhound racing has gone. The loss of integrity in the industry comming from those at the top that condone anything that means more track record breakers less drug testing and a head honcho now who has never taken the rules seriously unless he agrees with them. Incidentally in all the years I raced greyhounds I cannot ever recall meeting you at the track.

That may well be a factor for putting some people off, but what I am saying is that everything mentioned may be contributing factors but simply that not the sole cause as most cliam depending on their pet hobbyhorse or view. I am not over enamoured at some aspects of modern racing either, but don't try to pin the blame for everything on one particular aspect; and it's not all negative either unless you choose to look at it from just one particular angle.

Strange how when people agree with something on this forum they categorise it as a great post or insight but if they don't it's a sermon.

But then as you've been in the game a long time and haven't met me, I obviously don't exist and therefore the views of someone who doesn't exist can't exist either, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

However if I had met you and therefore existed I would have probably started racing dogs about 1975. Unfortunately my box manners were not that good and I lacked early speed so though I raced a lot of greyhounds I was never fast enough to beat any of them. Had to rely on my dogs to do that for me.

Your not likely to macduff, Philocon is far to busy giving mouth to mouth resuscitation to a bottle of Port.

Your not likely to macduff, Philocon is far to busy giving mouth to mouth resuscitation to a bottle of Port.

Wrong again John! I usually only drink port on special occasions at the end of a meal with a good coffee or on other rare occasions such as when you might choose to shout me one. Besides I would never give mouth to mouth to a bottle of port as you never know where it's been (in your mouth for example). I'd rescue the port in another container and leave the bottle to die.

Most likely MacDuff never saw me at the track if we were both there on the same day as I was probably busy doing my duty to keep the code safe and profitable. Myself and several friends saw it as our solemn duty to help the bar staff dispose of excess stocks of beer and wine and some spirits. Left lying around you never know what hands they might fall into. Being our solemn duty we tried not enjoy it but alas we failed there. You wouldn't believe the sacrifices some of us make for the good of the code - headaches in the morning, blurred vision, not getting home at the times planned, sleeping on surfaces not intended for that purpose etc . But do we get any thanks for it - no there's just no appreciation of the sacrifices we made. Ya tell the young folks that terday and they won't believe yer!

You wouldn't believe the sacrifices some of us make for the good of the code - headaches in the morning, blurred vision, not getting home at the times planned, sleeping on surfaces not intended for that purpose etc . But do we get any thanks for it - no there's just no appreciation of the sacrifices we made.

I feel yer pain, Phil. And yet bloody Barack Obama gets a Nobel Prize for effectively doing nothing other than being a President not named Bush...

There's no justice, is there?