RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
julie m

trackside

Ok i can accept our presenter announcing the golden rose winner as e-paul-letter but when it came to the dato tan chin nam stakes i would have expected a bit more of an effort to learn how to pronounce his name given what he has done for racing. in particular his support of Bart in his comeback.

Are they a product of the NZ education process?

No wonder so many people we deal with are grammatically impoverished and more or less illiterate.

Did not hear the instance you are referring to, however it seems any French words are beyond most Trackside presenters, Moi or Roi becomes moy or roy...Monsieur becomes mon sewer...

Comical if it wasn't so unprofessional.

But I digress, after all TAB is only interested in betting.

Be careful you two, there are some people on here who think second and third rate presentations are perfectly acceptable. Yes, they are a product of the NZ educational system, and also lack of parental tuition while growing up.

No wonder so many people we deal with are grammatically impoverished and more or less illiterate.

Did not hear the instance you are referring to, however it seems any French words are beyond most Trackside presenters, Moi or Roi becomes moy or roy...Monsieur becomes mon sewer...

You're right - UNPROFESSIONAL is the word and it's high time that Trackside encouraged their presenters take the time and effort to check with owners/trainers if they're not sure of pronounciation.

I wasn't going to, but......

Could someone please inform those on Trackside that there are no such words as:

PREFORM and PREFORMANCE

The words are PERFORM and PERFORMANCE

I know it's only a little thing, but it does make those who say these words incorrectly sound like uneducated dolts

Ok i can accept our presenter announcing the golden rose winner as e-paul-letter but when it came to the dato tan chin nam stakes i would have expected a bit more of an effort to learn how to pronounce his name given what he has done for racing. in particular his support of Bart in his comeback.

I've forwarded your post to Médecins Sans Frontières, they have some excellent French speakers whose time would be far better spent working on a remedy to this Very Important issue that you have uncovered.

Be fair Jan, at least they have the Maori language pronunciation down pat!!!!

PREFORM and PREFORMANCE

I know it's only a little thing, but it does make those who say these words incorrectly sound like uneducated dolts

Yes, its unfortunate that as well as being one of the most commonly used words by Brendan Propperwell, he pronounces it incorrectly each time. Cringeworthy. I heard that Waikato Times guys have a few goes, Dato nam chin tan, Dato cham tin nan, Dato tam nin chin, embarrasing.

Be fair Jan, at least they have the Maori language pronunciation down pat!!!!

I started to type something along those lines & thought it might be a wrong move - THANK YOU for saying it...

No doubt horse racing was an institution in this land long before horses were imported - if you follow.

I have wondered how claim can be laid to ownership of something that was here before the claimants - meaning rivers, water, sun wind..et al.

PREFORM and PREFORMANCE

If I hear one more allude or alluded to.....well not sure what I will do, throwing up makes too big a mess. A Thesaurus - a Christmas gift?

I suppose we sound petty, they have a lot to do, but... well....come on guys..please, lift the game.

Though I backed her often it always grated on me to here most of the Aussie commentators refer to that very good mare Nemosyne as Nemmo Sign, Possibly not their fault as I guess it's up to the owners to make sure commentators are on the mark.

PREFORM and PREFORMANCE

Amen to that!!

Popplewell drives me crazy with his "preformance". And he uses the word so often!

You're right - UNPROFESSIONAL is the word and it's high time that Trackside encouraged their presenters take the time and effort to check with owners/trainers if they're not sure of pronounciation.

I take it you mean pronunciation?

Though I backed her often it always grated on me to here most of the Aussie commentators refer to that very good mare Nemosyne as Nemmo Sign, Possibly not their fault as I guess it's up to the owners to make sure commentators are on the mark.

I take it you mean Mnemosyne?

Has anyone noticed how Alby Gain always pronounces Caulfield as Claufield on the radio on his Saturday morning slot?Unbelievable that no one has ever corrected him.

Usually as he is crossing to Dean Lester in Melbourne who must bite his tongue every time.

That one does bug me.

....for any length of time and you can come up with dozens of little errors.

To some this is butchering the English language but as most of the comment is 'off the cuff' ,and some feel the need to constantly rabbit on ,and it is racing which does has speak and a flow of speak of its own , I don't think it's too bad.

If the print media ,and books,can have spelling and grammatical errors and TV1 front-person can call Paula B ,Paula Benefit, then I think the race folk can make blunders too.

Many say brought instead of bought and vice-versa ,we all do , and words such as everythink.....and the horse has done good lately ,he's spot on ,ridden a treat , came home well and won with leg in air ,or on its air [sp :D] , the money was on the mark,or worse on the lolly, and he has got the chocolates......WHO CARES .

Yep place names are places on map and jockey names etc all should be said correctly but some of the horse names are plain silly ,too long ,tricky ,and if you gor foreign expect mistakes.

One phrase which tickles my fancy is the "without further a jew / adieu".

But my best ever was when the Dennis Brothers horse was said to be trained by Dennis Brose , cos the book said Dennis Bros.....happened many times.

But the commentators etc are faced with a nightmare in those big maiden fields..

it can't be easy, especially midweek when there are up to 100 'newish' nags running around , many with stupid names.....and in up to 4 different countries !!!

Plus many of us in racing ain't the brightest....a friend tells the story of driving a jockey and his car to the races from the Waikato to Woodville and they were running a bit late and thought they knew a short-cut.

Realising they were lost , the driver decides to stop at Petrol station to buy a map...he goes in and starts tranaction and jockey comes in and says 'Why you buying that ?'.

"To find out what road to get on ".

"oh I have a map in the glove-box ,I thought it only had place-names in it"

:D

Give em all a break !!!!

....for any length of time and you can come up with dozens of little errors.

To some this is butchering the English language but as most of the comment is 'off the cuff' ,and some feel the need to constantly rabbit on ,and it is racing which does has speak and a flow of speak of its own , I don't think it's too bad.

If the print media ,and books,can have spelling and grammatical errors and TV1 front-person can call Paula B ,Paula Benefit, then I think the race folk can make blunders too.

Many say brought instead of bought and vice-versa ,we all do , and words such as everythink.....and the horse has done good lately ,he's spot on ,ridden a treat , came home well and won with leg in air ,or on its air [sp :D] , the money was on the mark,or worse on the lolly, and he has got the chocolates......WHO CARES .

Yep place names are places on map and jockey names etc all should be said correctly but some of the horse names are plain silly ,too long ,tricky ,and if you gor foreign expect mistakes.

One phrase which tickles my fancy is the "without further a jew / adieu".

But my best ever was when the Dennis Brothers horse was said to be trained by Dennis Brose , cos the book said Dennis Bros.....happened many times.

But the commentators etc are faced with a nightmare in those big maiden fields..

it can't be easy, especially midweek when there are up to 100 'newish' nags running around , many with stupid names.....and in up to 4 different countries !!!

Plus many of us in racing ain't the brightest....a friend tells the story of driving a jockey and his car to the races from the Waikato to Woodville and they were running a bit late and thought they knew a short-cut.

Realising they were lost , the driver decides to stop at Petrol station to buy a map...he goes in and starts tranaction and jockey comes in and says 'Why you buying that ?'.

"To find out what road to get on ".

"oh I have a map in the glove-box ,I thought it only had place-names in it"

:D

Give em all a break !!!!

Seeing those phrases that are used in racing Gary reminded me of something that happened a couple of weeks back.

One of my 8 year olds was looking over my shoulder at the post I was reading and asked me in a puzzled tone, "how do you ride a horse upside down?"

Amen to that!!

Popplewell drives me crazy with his "preformance". And he uses the word so often!

I so have to agree with you. Drives me bloody insane listening to BP with his "preforming". Aargh

Guest Barbara Mercer

Here we go again - PROPITIOUS - BP and George Simon discussing how to pronounce it and coming up with another distortion - why doesn't someone do something about these ignorant morons?