RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ricky Smit

Hamish Hunter

Yea that's amazing...if i was too describe a driver as being aggressive then Hamish Hunter wouldn't be one of them.It looks like he only just tickles them with the whip..looks to be a very kind whip driver too me.Good to see him get some success with Franco Ledger..a very talented horse..and a stable that i follow quite often,especially down south.

I think its to do with the number of times the horse is hit not how hard it is.

I agree with you the hits wouldn't have left a mark and didn't look bad, but they have guide lines in place and apparently he broke them. Half as many hits but twice as hard, hurts the horse more than what Hamish was doing. Interesting to note its not the first time Hamish has been fined for this so perhaps he needs to change his whipping action

Great win by Franco Ledger last week, going through stipe reports Hamish was fined for excessive use.

Any ideas how they come up with a fine like that considering it certainly didnt look aggressive to me.

Horse was hit 18 times in the last 170m of the race. 16-19 hits is considered to be a consideration zone where you may be fined if you had pervious experience in the stipes room with the "Use of the whip" rule. 20+ is a straight fine, doesnt matter if its your first time or 10th its a fine

Seeing at Hamish had already had 3 pervious fines in the last 12 months for use of the whip, and for that reason he was fined.

The reason why everyone seems to be upset about this is because the hits that hamish has used were not aggressive, but just small "taps", but because of his past fines and the number of times a fine was what it ended up being.

a small "tap" is still reated by the stipes as a "hit"

maybe they need to bring in a rating system for the hits?

It's use not hits on the horse. Tap the cart or dustsheet 18 times and you are a bad boy and get fined also. I suppose we have to be thankful that at least you can hit the horse one or two times whereas if it your son you are a criminal.