RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Pussy Willow

What were the experts' opinions on her run today? To my mind she seemed to be hating the ground a long way out and only class got her as close as she did.

It will help her price in Sydney that's for sure!

yeah i agree lloyd, i think all 5 fillies that ran today will have a decent race or 2 in them at some stage

Hate to say it Scooby - but on her run yesterday your pessimism was justified. I thought she went horrible. I know Sticko was not expecting miracles from her on that track but I'll be interested to hear his comments on her run. She didn't appear to 'put in' at any stage and to my mind didn't look very happy going right-handed. Very disappointing effort for my money: if Sticko can resurrect her from there - hat's off to him!

What did others think?

Doesn't suit a lot of horses and The Furious is a good horses race - something pW has to prove she is. The Wakefield 2yo race is not a good horses yardstick so we will have to wait. I think Randwick is a better track for her if she races off the pace and can live up to connections faith. SMcK would not go to Syd if he didn't think something wasnt there so lets wait and see. Dear Demi is a very good filly and has run some very good races and deserved the win.

Doesn't suit a lot of horses and The Furious is a good horses race - something pW has to prove she is. The Wakefield 2yo race is not a good horses yardstick so we will have to wait. I think Randwick is a better track for her if she races off the pace and can live up to connections faith. SMcK would not go to Syd if he didn't think something wasnt there so lets wait and see. Dear Demi is a very good filly and has run some very good races and deserved the win.

On what we've seen last season she is a top filly - I've heard talk that Sticko thinks very highly of her - and as you say, he certainly has a realistic appraisal of his horses' abilities and would not be there on a dream. Her Taupo run was a touch disappointing but I think she just was a bit 'pretty' still and the ground was very heavy. One could forgive her that and be expectant of better things next run, as I was. However, she just looked to be labouring all the way yesterday and produced nothing at all. I'm well aware of DD's class and am in no way knocking her win - I was just scratching my head after PW's run. I thought she could be anything after her Wakefield win - it was quite outstanding - and maybe she just needs a roomy track and good going to show her best. At her best, she has looked well above average and I hope she gets to really strut her stuff at some stage.

On what we've seen last season she is a top filly - I've heard talk that Sticko thinks very highly of her - and as you say, he certainly has a realistic appraisal of his horses' abilities and would not be there on a dream. Her Taupo run was a touch disappointing but I think she just was a bit 'pretty' still and the ground was very heavy. One could forgive her that and be expectant of better things next run, as I was. However, she just looked to be labouring all the way yesterday and produced nothing at all. I'm well aware of DD's class and am in no way knocking her win - I was just scratching my head after PW's run. I thought she could be anything after her Wakefield win - it was quite outstanding - and maybe she just needs a roomy track and good going to show her best. At her best, she has looked well above average and I hope she gets to really strut her stuff at some stage.

I expected her to run a lot better yesterday aswell, but the form out of her Wakefield win is shocking and her were only average. Nice horse but sadly not G1/G2 class in aus.

Just a glitch TA. Im sure we will see the wakefield promise shown on australian tracks. The wakefield may not be a renowned stepping stone to equine immortality but im sure the same could of been said about the paul butcher trading co novice

I think you may be taking too

Much out of her Wakefield run - as good as it was. It is not a good horses race. I hope she goes well in Syd for my good friend PW but its a long way from the Wakefield to Sydney group fillies racing.

Hey - you may be right; perhaps she didn't actually beat much of note that day. I was super impressed that day though - and I thought I was a better judge than that! :) I'm prepared as you suggested earlier, to give her another go and I'll watch with interest when she gets to Randwick.

Just a glitch TA. Im sure we will see the wakefield promise shown on australian tracks. The wakefield may not be a renowned stepping stone to equine immortality but im sure the same could of been said about the paul butcher trading co novice

Is there a clue here maybe? Saturday 21st January 2012. Telegraph Handicap 1200 metres won by Guiseppina in 1.06.94. Wakefield Challenge Stakes 1200 metres won by Pussy Willow 1.09.33!!!

Is there a clue here maybe? Saturday 21st January 2012. Telegraph Handicap 1200 metres won by Guiseppina in 1.06.94. Wakefield Challenge Stakes 1200 metres won by Pussy Willow 1.09.33!!!

She is a fantastic filly BUT ..........

That is a valid point you make John. Nevertheless, I'd be VERY curious to know how the last 400m compared and in particular, the last 200m. It was the sprint she raised to get up from a hopeless position which was so outstanding....

That is a valid point you make John. Nevertheless, I'd be VERY curious to know how the last 400m compared and in particular, the last 200m. It was the sprint she raised to get up from a hopeless position which was so outstanding....

Pussy Willows race first, Guiseppina second.

First 600m- 33.73 / 33.18

Race last 600m- 35.60 / 33.76

Individual last 600m- 34.32 / 32.60

Guiseppina carried 1.5kg less than Pussy Willow but sectionals don't lie. The form out of the Wakeful is shocking.

Sectionals courtesy formpro.co.nz

Yep, it was an eye catching performance, but as ReillyM says, the sectionals don't lie.

Prior to the Karaka Million being staged at Ellerslie at the end of Jan, the big $$$$ race for 2yo's was the Mercedes Classique held at Te Rapa a week later. Back then, many of the Classique hopefuls would target the Wakefield as a lead up, but with the shift in the dates, the Wakefield has become a casualty in terms of not attracting the very best 2yo's.

I say that with no disrespect to Pussy Willow or her connections.

Your comparing a two year old race with our premier sprint? And Pussy wasnt in the clear until the 400,the nature of the win is the essence not the stopwatch,the x factor is there and we have seen some very talented horses fail inexplicably before today.

Your comparing a two year old race with our premier sprint? And Pussy wasnt in the clear until the 400,the nature of the win is the essence not the stopwatch,the x factor is there and we have seen some very talented horses fail inexplicably before today.

Yeah obviously Pussy Willows race was visually impressive, but when your opponent is that weak, a good horse can be made to look 'freakish'. Only 2 horses have won out of that Wakefield and the form out of it is listed level at best! Possible G1 horse in NZ, G3 / Listed in aus metro meetings imo.

Pussy Willows race first, Guiseppina second.

First 600m- 33.73 / 33.18

Race last 600m- 35.60 / 33.76

Individual last 600m- 34.32 / 32.60

Guiseppina carried 1.5kg less than Pussy Willow but sectionals don't lie. The form out of the Wakeful is shocking.

Sectionals courtesy formpro.co.nz

Thanks very much for that ReillyM - much appreciated.

Remembering she was just a 2yo being compared with the fastest horses in NZ that day it's not bad. Still, I'll just stick to what I said earlier in Post 12 I think...