RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
kmhood

Sir Percy again and again

Today I received a super email from a friend. It is written by Tony Morris at Lanwades stud where Sir Percy stands.

Anyone can subscribe to their newsletter at info@lanwades.com or if you want to go to their website http://www.lanwades.com

The article is very good and bodes well for those of us who have Sir Percy's or are expecting Sir Percy's.

You may be glad you are holding onto your Sir Percy colt to start his career off - you may get a good offer from the track when he is proving himself perhaps. (dreams are free). For my 2yo filly - she will be raced by us. We hope a colt arrives this year.

Yes Kay a very good article...here it is (don't know if should post it here!)

by Tony Morris

MANY horses who excel as juveniles, when they go to stud, are keenly exploited for their precocity, supplied with a surfeit of mares from speedy backgrounds and trusted to deliver early winners. Sometimes that policy works, but sustaining success almost always proves elusive. Next year there is a new kid on the block who seems to merit support, and so it goes on. The sprint-bred leading two-year-old rarely succeeds for long, hardly ever makes any kind of mark on the breed.

SIR PERCY was never going to be like that. He was a champion two-year-old, starting early with two wins over six furlongs in May and June, and remaining unbeaten, with a Dewhurst victory to clinch his title. But those juvenile triumphs came as a bonus. He was actually bred to excel as a three-year-old and those expectations were duly fulfilled when he chased the brilliant miler George Washington home in the Guineas and gave a display of surpassing gameness to prevail in a hotly-contested Derby.

The males in the first three removes of SIR PERCY’s pedigree provided an indication of what we should expect of him at stud. His sire, both grandsires, and three of his four great-grandsires were Classic winners. It was no wonder that SIR PERCY excelled at three, and to be expected that his stock, whatever they achieved at two, would tend to improve in their second season.

The mares that SIR PERCY covered in his first season at Lanwades were, with few exceptions, lacking in quality; nor were they numerous, with a resulting crop of just 50 live foals. Given such limited opportunity, it was much to the horse’s credit that 11 of the 30 runners to represent him as juveniles in 2011 won 18 races between them, highlighted by the Listed success of Coquet in the Montrose Stakes at Newmarket, and the Listed placings of Alla Speranza in Ireland and Percy Jackson in Germany.

It has come as no surprise that SIR PERCY’s first three-year-olds have been making their mark, most notably with a second win at Listed level for Coquet at Goodwood and a Group 3 placing for Cavaleiro in Lingfield’s Derby Trial. Bomar has been proving a star turn in Scandinavia, collecting a Listed win in the Swedish Derby before his second in the more competitive Norwegian Derby, while Free House remains unbeaten after four starts in Denmark and Sweden. These are early days for SIR PERCY’s second crop of two-year-olds, but there have already been three winners at home and Hyder has a second place in Listed company to his credit in Milan.

After SIR PERCY’s first two yearling crops sold so well – averaging more than four times his nomination fee - 25,823gns in 2010 and 29,789gns in 2011 with top prices of 260,000gns, 110,000gns, 80,000gns – and the successes achieved by his initial crop of runners, he has naturally proved more popular with breeders, so there are larger and higher-quality crops to follow. Meanwhile, he has already got earners of £337,535, establishing him as a sire with a rising reputation.

zzzpardstown race only 6 in it.

Haydock had 6 runners and Azrur by Sir Percy was last too.

My horse won in a 7 horse race the other week but still got the prize and prestige with it. She is now not a maiden. Her rating has gone up to 63 which will get her into ensuring she gets a start next time.

Alla Speranza (GB) 2009

(F. by Sir Percy-Alvarita)

1st zzzpardstown Enterprise S. Gr.3, €60000 2200m earning €39025

Black type for this horse too - G3

Black type for this horse too - G3

Indigo Lady, 2yo filly by Sir Percy ran 3rd in a G3 mile at Chantilly overnight taking Sir Percy's stakesperformers to 8 from 52 runners

Sir Percy is also now the leading second season sire on the European table on percentage of winners to runners sitting currently at 58%

At the Head of the Table

SIR PERCY

Leading European 2nd Crop Sires

(by % of winners to runners)

SIR PERCY

58%

2 Dark Angel 53%

Dutch Art 53%

4 Authorized 50%

5 Stormy River 49%

6 Excellent Art 48%

Jeremy 48%

Red Clubs 48%

9 Lawman 44%

10 Amadeus Wolf 42%

Cockney Rebel 42%

12 Rail Link 41%

13 Manduro 40%

Teofilo 40%

40+ runners to 6/9/12. Hyperion Promotions.

Scarlet Prince (GB) 2009

(C. by Sir Percy-Trump Street)

1st Newcastle Weatherbys Bloodstock Insurance H., £2500 2499m earning £1617

I am astounded at the distances these youngsters are running. They may be early but so far..............

That's Where It Is, a 2yo colt by Sir Percy is entered for Race 2 at Riccarton this Saturday. He was trial placed second in August and if he lines up, will be the 1st Southern Hemisphere starter for Sir Percy.

Had noted that Nindy - will be there to watch and cheer him on. Let's hope he starts in grand style like his siblings - will keep my fingers crossed.

Guest Kay Hood

Grand Liaison (GB) 2009

(F. by Sir Percy-Dancinginthedark)

1st Haydock Betdaq Haydock Park Apprentice Training Series H., £3500 2099m earning £2264

Grand Liaison (GB) 2009

(F. by Sir Percy-Dancinginthedark)

1st Haydock Betdaq Haydock Park Apprentice Training Series H., £3500 2099m earning £2264

Guest Omarsharif

Kay, Indy King stood in the USA for five seasons and produced just 143 foals

2005 - 24

2006 - 40

2007 – 42

2008 - 18

2009 - 19

Total 143

Nadeem has had three crops of racing age. His oldest are now 4years old

08/09 - 104

09/10 - 63

10/11 - 31

Total 198

You are definitely not comparing apples with apples. After one and half racing seasons, Sir Percy is well in front of Indy King, particularly in the quality department i.e stakesperformers. Lets see where the stats sit after Sir Percy has completed his first SH season...I am betting there is no comparison.

I definitely do not have any vested interest in Sir Percy other than I am a huge fan of his after watching him win the Epsom Derby and being a shareholder in one of his progeny here in NZ. For you breeders who are interested, our trainer (who has five Sir Percy's in his stable) is highly taken by their temperaments and easiness to train...they just seem natural gallopers. All of them have shown a willing attitude as well.

Very happy to this point...

Guest kmhood

I see that a Sir Percy came 2nd at Foxton yesterday also.

Just for interest, the very first Edenwold foal born, trialled also at Foxton for 1st. Edensong (Edenwold/Princess Melody) was born and raised at our place She was bred by 9 members of the Levin Breeders Forum and raced by them and some of their friends.

Guest Nindy Parhar

Sir Percy lands another 2 yo winner overnight (Lady Pimpernel) winning over a mile and her second start. Sir Percy is the leading second season sire in Europe on winners/runners with 61%

Guest Steve Ellis

I will be interested to see how many NZB allow into the Select and Premier sale.

Might be a good time to buy one at the Festival Sale, mine will not be there on all reports I am better to race him.

Shame he did not come back.

Guest John Bromley

My trusted pedigree advisor, the late Clive Harper, really rated SIR PERCY, as a potentially successful Sire.

Similarly, I was very impressed by his performances, particularly in THE DERBY, where he showed a wonderful '' turn of foot '', with his outstanding '' Last to First '' finish

Consequently, I sent 3 mares to him in 2011, his 2nd year at stud, in NZ.

- an imported mare from England, who won 3 races, and had a Timeform Rating of 100

- an O'REILLY mare, who was purchased from the PREMIER Sale, as a yearling, but had a career ending injury, after only one race

- a MONTJEU mare, who was injured, before making the races

Sadly, all 3 yearlings - a colt, and 2 fillies - have been consigned to the FESTIVAL Sale.

Consequently, they will not be sold as Yearlings ... they will be either / or :

- offered for sale in the 2013 Ready to Run Sale

- raced by myself, and/or as part of Racing Syndicate(s) ( of which I will be a part ) ....... anybody interested ??!!

' Putting my money where my mouth is ', I sent another 3 mares ( no 'repeats ' from 2010 ) to SIR PERCY, last Season.

Still awaiting the first foal, with great anticipation ... especially considering his ongoing performance - Leading 2nd Season Sire in UK/Europe, I understand, with not too much of the Season left.

Interestingly, I seem to recall that there were considerable reservations re the suitability of HIGH CHAPARRAL, with his ' fine bones ', and the fact that he was considered more of a ' stayer ' ... and the rest is history.

Here's hoping for a case of ' deja vu ', with SIR PERCY's progeny, in Australasia.

I guess the uncertainties of this great breeding game, are part of what make it so appealing, and compelling .... we are all hoping for another '' KIWI '', or a similar ' excitement machine ' !!!!

Yours in racing

John Bromley