RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Opo

Mangled language is now the norm

By Sir Bob Jones

"There's been a sharp decline in language standards in recent decades, which ought to be a matter for concern. Yet ironically, it's coincided with a growing romanticising about redundant languages, illustrated in New Zealand by the waste promoting Maori. The same nonsense occurs elsewhere, such as in Wales, while National Geographic magazine is forever wringing its hands about the last two survivors, now in their 90s, who are the only remaining speakers of Wagamishoo or whatever. This is silly. It doesn't matter and to extrapolate knowledge of a language as revealing the soul of the people and similar claptrap, as spouted here by the Maori language proponents, is sheer fantasy.

I have just completed writing a soon-to-be-published book on an aspect of our contemporary language following six years of hobbyist research. I thoroughly enjoyed this exercise but I certainly don't romanticise it. Rather, language is a tool, nothing more and undoubtedly it is the prime reason for homo sapiens' rise to the top of the animal world....."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10826674

Love the likening of Iain Smith to Mr Creosote :D

Language is constantly evolving, not always for the better. Not many people speak like Judy Bailey any more. Get most people to say 'beer', 'bare' & 'bear' and see if you can tell the difference.

My pet hate at the moment is the prounciation of the word DATA. Used to be DAYTA as in the rest of the English speaking world, but suddenly it's become DARTER. Any excuse to distort the language is leapt upon with enthusiasm it seems.

That's an old Irish turn of phrase.

That was, Whale Oil Beef Hooked ,wasnt it.

How about the use of Yeh Na.

I used to be indesicive,but now Im not so sure.

For beautiful English,try reading a Charles Haddon Spurgeon sermon from the late 18th century. Brilliant prose and very emotive. Todays is as dull as dishwater

That was, Whale Oil Beef Hooked ,wasnt it.

How about the use of Yeh Na.

I used to be indesicive,but now Im not so sure.

For beautiful English,try reading a Charles Haddon Spurgeon sermon from the late 18th century. Brilliant prose and very emotive. Todays is as dull as dishwater

:D Apparently, it is only going to get blander and more non descript as time goes by, too.

I hate it how younger people pronounce 'the' the same when preceding either a vowel or consonant, e.g. 'I'm going to thuh airport', instead of 'I'm going to thee yairport'.

'All goes well' is quite common for 'augurs well'.. or is it 'augers' ... I'm 'loosing' it.

Worked for a guy in Hamilton about 20 years ago who was a classic. A couple of his better ones:

'saluvious' = cool, good. Presumably, he heard the word salubrious once.

'suaduve' = someone who rates themselves, presumably his interpretation of suave dude.

When in the army had a boss who always referred to the unit he commanded as "self deficient" instead of self sufficient. We used to crack up at his briefings everytime he mentioned it.We were the only " self deficient" unit in the NZ Army. As years went by and with lack of resources we started to believe him in the end.

Cheers Archie

And one that politicians use a lot "the proof is in the pudding."

The proof is NOT in the pudding, the proof OF the pudding IS IN THE EATING.

Another is 'intrigal' when they probably mean 'integral.'

Knew someone who couldn't say 'specific' and always pronounced it 'pacific'. She was in the travel industry and we used to joke about her making bookings on Air Specific :)

Can someone tell me the meaning of the phrase - "yeah, nah" or occasionally "Yeah, no".

Heard it quite regularly on Radio Tracksaide this morning.

Normally used by someone who used to be indecisive but now is not so sure.?:D

Can someone tell me the meaning of the phrase - "yeah, nah" or occasionally "Yeah, no".

Heard it quite regularly on Radio Tracksaide this morning.

It's the NZ way of saying no. Evolved out of our culture where we don't like to push our opinions on others. It's our way of being polite. In the end it means 'no'