RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Aubrey

Driving in New Zealand

Driving in New Zealand

You must have a legal driver's licence to drive in New Zealand

You can only drive in New Zealand if you have either an overseas licence or an international driving permit which you can use for up to one year from the day you arrive in New Zealand. After 12 months you cannot drive using an international licence - you must convert it to a New Zealand driver's licence.

The 12 months begins from the FIRST time you arrive in the country. Some people think they can come in and out of New Zealand within the 12 month period and that the one year driving time on an international licence starts again east time - it does not! The clock starts ticking the day you FIRST arrive and expires 12 months later. You must then get a New Zealand licence to continue to drive.

Please ensure you carry your driver's licence with you at all times.

If your overseas driver's licence is written in a foreign language, please have it translated into English and carry both with you.

Any person caught not carrying their driver's licence with them when they drive will be fined $55. Anyone who drives without any licence at all will be fined $400.

Always buckle up!

In New Zealand, the driver and all passengers in the car must wear safety belts. If the passengers are under 15 years old, and are not wearing safety belts, the driver is fined.

If you drink and drive, you're a real idiot!

Do not drink and drive. Get a friend to take you home or catch a taxi if you have been drinking. You can be fined up to $4,500 and possibly imprisoned if you are caught drinking and driving.

Buy Gold

Driving in New Zealand

The 12 months begins from the FIRST time you arrive in the country. Some people think they can come in and out of New Zealand within the 12 month period and that the one year driving time on an international licence starts again east time - it does not! The clock starts ticking the day you FIRST arrive and expires 12 months later. You must then get a New Zealand licence to continue to drive.

Buy Gold

Incorrect.

You can drive in NZ on a valid overseas licence for 12 months from your LAST entry date into NZ.

one rule i personally would like changed....

people able to just walk out onto a zebracrossing ... even at a slow 50k it can take some to stop a car or bike when your almost ontop of a crossing and some fool either steps out or runs out... and schoolchildren that continue to ride bikes across the crossing..they have got in in their heads that crs can stop just like that..anyone agree?

or maybe you disagree,why?

Tubs - ever given way to a ped who utilises a crossing from side of road you on and waited till they step off the crossing on the other side? Last Wed or Thurs I'm sorry but I broke the rules (but never got caught) Elderly Woman stepped out (well step is not quite the right word) with a Zimmer. I signalled to her to cross so I was aware of her about to use crossing and she was also waiting to cross so she was responsible as well. So she shuffled on her way and after she passed the centre of this wide road I proceeded - I was worried I might run out of petrol as I had waited for her to get half way for what seemed an eternity :D and still another eternity to elapse till she made it right across. No harm was done of course, the crossing was clear but the law says I must wait till she had crossed. At times I do wonder why they changed that law - pc at it's best I suppose.

Driving in New Zealand

You must have a legal driver's licence to drive in New Zealand

You can only drive in New Zealand if you have either an overseas licence or an international driving permit which you can use for up to one year from the day you arrive in New Zealand. After 12 months you cannot drive using an international licence - you must convert it to a New Zealand driver's licence.

Please ensure you carry your driver's licence with you at all times.

If your overseas driver's licence is written in a foreign language, please have it translated into English and carry both with you.

Any person caught not carrying their driver's licence with them when they drive will be fined $55. Anyone who drives without any licence at all will be fined $400.

Always buckle up!

In New Zealand, the driver and all passengers in the car must wear safety belts. If the passengers are under 15 years old, and are not wearing safety belts, the driver is fined.

If you drink and drive, you're a real idiot!

Do not drink and drive. Get a friend to take you home or catch a taxi if you have been drinking. You can be fined up to $4,500 and possibly imprisoned if you are caught drinking and driving.

Buy Gold

You forgot to mention that if you are from China you can get a Licence on the Blackmarket and drive here for 1 year under the international licence

You dont need to have any experience, maybe learn to use your camera while holding the stearing wheel

down this way.. we have people that use the crossing,only to stop half way across to have a chin wag to the person/people coming across from the other side.. holding up the traffic....

and another one is... car pulls over to the side, another car comes from the opersite direction , parks nect to it, on the wrong side of the road, catching up on lifes sagas....while cars,trucks and busses, struggle to get past..and these people don't give a stuff...

Tubs - ever given way to a ped who utilises a crossing from side of road you on and waited till they step off the crossing on the other side? Last Wed or Thurs I'm sorry but I broke the rules (but never got caught) Elderly Woman stepped out (well step is not quite the right word) with a Zimmer. I signalled to her to cross so I was aware of her about to use crossing and she was also waiting to cross so she was responsible as well. So she shuffled on her way and after she passed the centre of this wide road I proceeded - I was worried I might run out of petrol as I had waited for her to get half way for what seemed an eternity :D and still another eternity to elapse till she made it right across. No harm was done of course, the crossing was clear but the law says I must wait till she had crossed. At times I do wonder why they changed that law - pc at it's best I suppose.

From the AA this year:

"By the way, although the road code says you can proceed when the pedestrian is clear of your vehicle, this is not enshrined in law. The Road User Rule, the law from which the advisory road code is derived, simply states:

A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing must—

(a) give way to pedestrians, and to riders of wheeled recreational devices or mobility devices,

(i) on the pedestrian crossing; or

(ii) obviously waiting to cross it; and

(B) if necessary, slow down and stop the driver's vehicle for that purpose.

For the purposes of this clause, if a pedestrian crossing is interrupted by a raised traffic island, the parts of the crossing that are situated on different sides of that traffic island must be regarded as separate pedestrian crossings.

There is no reference to proceeding when the pedestrian is clear of the car, so to strictly comply with the law this narrower interpretation may be safer."

So from this eljay you would be in the clear but it is preferable to wait.

And from the nz road code APRIL2012 :

When coming up to pedestrian crossings:

•slow down and be ready to stop for any pedestrians stepping onto, or on the crossing. This also includes people obviously waiting to use the crossing.

•if there is no raised traffic island in the middle of the crossing, stop and give way to pedestrians on any part of the crossing

•if there is a raised traffic island in the middle of the crossing, stop and give way to pedestrians on your half of the road

•wait until the pedestrian has crossed in front of you and is clear of your vehicle before you proceed - see give way rules.

one rule i personally would like changed....

people able to just walk out onto a zebracrossing ... even at a slow 50k it can take some to stop a car or bike when your almost ontop of a crossing and some fool either steps out or runs out... and schoolchildren that continue to ride bikes across the crossing..they have got in in their heads that crs can stop just like that..anyone agree?

or maybe you disagree,why?

You cannot step out onto a pedestrian crossing if there is a car inside the diamond. Also you must now wait until a pedestrian has completely exited a pedestrain crossing before moving off - not just your half of the crossing.

A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing must—

(a) give way to pedestrians, and to riders of wheeled recreational devices or mobility devices,

(i) on the pedestrian crossing]

This crossing is one, not two, i.e. no diiivision in middle.

yes magoo,well aware of that.. but down this way that does not mean a thing.people just keep on steeping out no matter what. and yes i knew that we had to wait until they are completely across.... sunday strolls are a buggar... takes a while to finish a chinwag in the middle of a crossing... i thought there would be some sort of law about doing that and holding up the works...

Once upon a time roads were for motor vehicles and pedestrian crossings were places for the public to cross safely when there was a gap in the traffic but it appears to all have changed now and ped's have the right of way.

It's the txt-ing ones that piss me off. They, and the ones listening to walkman's, have no idea of the traffic flow.

waiting for my grandsons school bus this afternoon.

3 buses touned up and let children off.... 2 young fellas got off a mini bus and stated to walk up the road, their father was waiting on the otherside of the road and they missed seeing him so he yelf out..the older boy shoots off over the road,followed by the little fella.. as the bus had taken off and was heading straight for him missing by only a metre or 2,kid made it across the road to an angry dad... only 20 metres from a crossing...my grandson talked all; the way home about how lucky this fella was and what he did wrong..i guess we have taught him well.