RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Paeroa: Will They or Wont They

It will be sad to see Paeroa closed down - I was born there and so I guess I have a soft spot for the place. However, apart from continuing as a training/trials centre [is that a viable option?] with perhaps a revamped annual jumping carnival to utilise its brilliant jumping course, the writing has probably been on the wall for at least a decade or two, being situated as it is, so close to Te Aroha. I fear it's gone-burger....

A great jumping course along with a good track.On a fine day a nice place to be at but the facilities are 10th world and to be honest not a lot of people go even the locals.

I would be very sorry to see this track close but they cost a lot of money to run.

With all the cancelled trials recently, the demise of Paeroa will reduce the number of suitable winter trials venues to a very few...

If they could find a way of making money from the land/buildings/facilities during the periods of no racing/trials....

There are huge numbers of horses going to the trials....when they are cancelled,horses that miss out on a trial are then looking to go to the races, but sometimes can't get their horse in a field...weeks and weeks go by without a start or trial.....and the $$$$ mount!

It is obvious we desperatey need this course, if only for a trials venue....

why doesn't someone with lots of dosh, buy the place and run only jumping races there, on a private scale...someone with some business savy.. horse knowledge,wouldn't /shouldn't take to much to set up a colective of interested people ..with both the money and experise.and have a world wide carnival like they do for the english grand national etc... may even save the jumps races in nz...would save paeroa track..government give the track tax releif for 5 years..must be a hit. with racing people......unless of course you don't like the jumps...

but the facilities are shocking, great course though and I dissagree with the comment above about the people on course, I think more people turn up to Paeroa races than any other small club. The turnover is usually good compared to other clubs in the same situation and it is a good winter track and IMO the steeple course is second to only Ellerslie. Jumps day at Paeroa was the best Ive been to.

Paying $70 odd thousand a year in rent would cripple alot of clubs and there is no way that land would be worth that? the owner must be laughing all the way to the bank!!

I see it's definitely gone after their last meeting this month. Sad... I remember strapping a horse I rode in work called Commitment at that meeting years ago. Won his 4th in a row to give 'PD' his century of winners for the season in one of the last races of the season..... :)

I see it's definitely gone after their last meeting this month. Sad... I remember strapping a horse I rode in work called Commitment at that meeting years ago. Won his 4th in a row to give 'PD' his century of winners for the season in one of the last races of the season..... :)

It is sad, but many more need to go if racing is to improve and returns to owners and industry participants are to increase to a level where it is even worth considering continuing to support, which it is a long way from at the present levels. I really dunno how some of the smaller players, who rely on the industry for their meal ticket can actually make ends meet.

It is sad, but many more need to go if racing is to improve and returns to owners and industry participants are to increase to a level where it is even worth considering continuing to support, which it is a long way from at the present levels. I really dunno how some of the smaller players, who rely on the industry for their meal ticket can actually make ends meet.

end the day they can't get rid of them because some the tracks of clubs couldn't take huge amounts of racing on them

A necessary decision. Unfortunately, although we all have it, sentiment is killing the industry. The sooner all the other Waikato tracks are closed for racing (keep whatever tracks trainers want to pay to keep for training) , resources pooled, and a brand new facility, including all weather track, facilities for other equestrian events, fantastic entertainment venue etc, is built from scratch, the better for the long term survival of the racing industry in New Zealand.

Paeroa have pulled pin and will race no longer. They raced eight times per year and probably had about the same number of trials.

Who will pick up the dates bearing in mind they did cater for jumps racing whereby a lot of other clubs don't and more pressure for trials. I see Cambridge canned theirs due to the weather.

getting that bad in nz with this industry..maybe we should just shoot the horses, close all the tracks and everyone stay home and do some knitting.... man living in the dark ages...if paeroa was owned by the maoroi the government would pour in billions of dollars.....

paeroa finished,it is sad...mind you we are now a banana republic and should live within our means.. next week/year it could well be the mighty ELLERSLIE.

why doesn't someone with lots of dosh, buy the place and run only jumping races there, on a private scale...someone with some business savy.. horse knowledge,wouldn't /shouldn't take to much to set up a colective of interested people ..with both the money and experise.and have a world wide carnival like they do for the english grand national etc... may even save the jumps races in nz...would save paeroa track..government give the track tax releif for 5 years..must be a hit. with racing people......unless of course you don't like the jumps...

of the staff there last year and he said exactly the same thing.

He jokingly said they were looking for a multi to come along and buy the place.All jokes aside they would havetaken up the offer if one did come along.

Neat course and the jumping track was great.

What a waste.Still Te Aroha only a blink down the road.

A necessary decision. Unfortunately, although we all have it, sentiment is killing the industry. The sooner all the other Waikato tracks are closed for racing (keep whatever tracks trainers want to pay to keep for training) , resources pooled, and a brand new facility, including all weather track, facilities for other equestrian events, fantastic entertainment venue etc, is built from scratch, the better for the long term survival of the racing industry in New Zealand.

What sort of evidence do you have for this assertion?

It is a very popular argument I know, but the logic and the cost benefit analysis behind it is pretty shaky.

i look at the idea of professional wrestling... what the vince McMahon and his dad did for wwe... raw,smackdown etc you take one race track like paeroa and do the same....

plenty of scope and ideas. for the enterprising globetrotting billionaire. with fresh ideas and money to burn ... could even put his own stake money up,make it into a world class track where horses from all over the world come and compete...what puzzles me is why hasn't anyone cotton on to the idea and run with the ball before now.....what helps a lot of businesses is competition ... just an idea that could work.. maybe someone ov

You are dreaming first i suggest you put your own money up and watch it vanish into thin air.Apart from the major meetings plus the summer one of meetings look at how many are on course at most of the meetings oncourse

I would be interested to see how many on this site are going to the last day at Paeroa i will be there and i go to most of their meetings and have to travel 130K to go..

Originally Posted by Hollywood Baz

What sort of evidence do you have for this assertion?

It is a very popular argument I know, but the logic and the cost benefit analysis behind it is pretty shaky.

I have absolutely no cost benefit analysis, but clearly racing has been on a downhill slide for the thirty five years I have been involved. We are a country of just four million people, with only a small % of the populace now interested in racing. I am not picking on racing, as it is not just a racing issue. Ask all the outdoor bowlers and golfers how difficult it is with membership numbers. There are too many other activities available, and the rural roots of horse racing have gone with most farmers now involved in multi million dollar farming operations, and no time or desire to be involved either as club volunteers or as owners. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that most clubs are in a precarious financial position - how many can afford the massive capital expenditure needed on buildings etc? Previous posts on this thread have commented on the appalling facilities at Paeroa and this is common at most clubs, eg 1960s style pinex rooms painted yellow, brown stained carpet, smelly toilet facilities which don't work, tables and chairs like the ones we had when I was at High School - do I need to go on. The only way to recapture the younger generation is to start with amazing facilities and a great all-round experience. Tell me what clubs can deliver this? Answer - very few. There are far too many courses, and resources are spread far too thinly, and until the local parochialism is put aside for the benefit of the whole industry, I can see no long term future for racing in NZ.

I have absolutely no cost benefit analysis, but clearly racing has been on a downhill slide for the thirty five years I have been involved. We are a country of just four million people, with only a small % of the populace now interested in racing. I am not picking on racing, as it is not just a racing issue. Ask all the outdoor bowlers and golfers how difficult it is with membership numbers. There are too many other activities available, and the rural roots of horse racing have gone with most farmers now involved in multi million dollar farming operations, and no time or desire to be involved either as club volunteers or as owners. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that most clubs are in a precarious financial position - how many can afford the massive capital expenditure needed on buildings etc? Previous posts on this thread have commented on the appalling facilities at Paeroa and this is common at most clubs, eg 1960s style pinex rooms painted yellow, brown stained carpet, smelly toilet facilities which don't work, tables and chairs like the ones we had when I was at High School - do I need to go on. The only way to recapture the younger generation is to start with amazing facilities and a great all-round experience. Tell me what clubs can deliver this? Answer - very few. There are far too many courses, and resources are spread far too thinly, and until the local parochialism is put aside for the benefit of the whole industry, I can see no long term future for racing in NZ.

Sadly, Hollywood Baz, you are completely right! I and any number of other contributors over the years have espoused the same facts. I will miss watching the races from Paeroa but RATIONALISATION of NZ's racing industry resources is way overdue for the benefit of the whole. Unfortunately, no-one it seems, will move in this direction until they are staring financial ruin in the face. This rate of attrition may well acellerate in the next few years - but will still take decades. By this time the whole thing may well be all but stuffed beyond repair...

Baz and Hesi are so right!

I have long been a critic of Paeroa and the facilities, and reality has now hit home. They had a chance to race at TeAroha many years ago, bot they were to parochial to make the move.

Mind you, how many clubs in NZ could afford the $75,000 yearly rental?

I still say there is a place for Paeroa, a trial venue, which we all know at present is vital, and a jumping course in the winter. The heirachy of NZ racing dont have to open their eyes to wide to see it is a much needed venue for these occasions.

There is no way with our weather, climate etc, our tracks can handle/ cope with having regular trials, and races in the time frames programming gives them.

NZTR should step up here and look at the big picture, and quite swiftly I might add, as owners start losing interest having horses standing around in boxes with no trials in the near future.

When TeTeko does have them they will be flooded with entries, and some will miss out altogether.

Is A Strath Ayr track the answer to our woes?

Melbourne weather is not to different to ours and Moonee Valley copes nicely throughout the year.

We cant keep stuttering along here in NZ and seeing the world go by.

We need action, and obviously someone who can lead us, which in my mind has been sadly lacking over recent times.

Chris you are right about the strathyr track. I am sure if we had one at Te Rapa all racing in the Waikato could take place there and whatever tracks were left could be used for training and trialling only.

The good news is that at the moment the Asian Racing Conference is being held in Istanbul and I am sure that the Racing Board and NZTR will be fully represented there at "minimal" cost. The hard working delegates will no doubt return home exhausted but full of great ideas to salvage the moribund racing industry

Chris you are right about the strathyr track. I am sure if we had one at Te Rapa all racing in the Waikato could take place there and whatever tracks were left could be used for training and trialling only.

The good news is that at the moment the Asian Racing Conference is being held in Istanbul and I am sure that the Racing Board and NZTR will be fully represented there at "minimal" cost. The hard working delegates will no doubt return home exhausted but full of great ideas to salvage the moribund racing industry

Should be the Tui billboard thread

Baz and Hesi are so right!

I have long been a critic of Paeroa and the facilities, and reality has now hit home. They had a chance to race at TeAroha many years ago, bot they were to parochial to make the move.

Mind you, how many clubs in NZ could afford the $75,000 yearly rental?

I still say there is a place for Paeroa, a trial venue, which we all know at present is vital, and a jumping course in the winter. The heirachy of NZ racing dont have to open their eyes to wide to see it is a much needed venue for these occasions.

There is no way with our weather, climate etc, our tracks can handle/ cope with having regular trials, and races in the time frames programming gives them.

NZTR should step up here and look at the big picture, and quite swiftly I might add, as owners start losing interest having horses standing around in boxes with no trials in the near future.

When TeTeko does have them they will be flooded with entries, and some will miss out altogether.

Is A Strath Ayr track the answer to our woes?

Melbourne weather is not to different to ours and Moonee Valley copes nicely throughout the year.

We cant keep stuttering along here in NZ and seeing the world go by.

We need action, and obviously someone who can lead us, which in my mind has been sadly lacking over recent times.

Get your head out of the sand Chris, the ship is sinking too quickly and cannot be saved. There will be no miracle and some of you are very slow to realise this.

You should have stayed at Mornington , Oz racing isn't exactly flourishing but there is, at least, a little glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

Get your head out of the sand Chris, the ship is sinking too quickly and cannot be saved. There will be no miracle and some of you are very slow to realise this.

You should have stayed at Mornington , Oz racing isn't exactly flourishing but there is, at least, a little glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

How can you say it is not going well, great prizemoney,NSW just recently increased it again, and increasing incentives from the breeders bonus schemes, doubles it in some cases, hell NZ cant even race for as much as they do in way out outback!!!!!!!!!