RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Wanganui Cup

Am looking forward to these heats tommorow, but it really is a shame to see Unprofessional, who albeit is a C3 chaser, sitting on the ballot and un-able to run. I know their are criterias involved for these races but sometimes i believe the club need to have a "wildcard" option where promising youngsters can get there chance against seasoned pro's.

No disrespect to the dogs mentioned below but personally i think Unprofessional would give them windburn!

Asher

Howling wind

Mr Meticulous

Thrilling Buddy

Freddy John

That's being kind to a few others that Unprofessional would have the wood over! Will still look forward to the heats but when you see a dog with this much potential it would add another dimension to the race.

I tried to make this point about the auckland cup heats, think group races should be ungraded. Im aware this is not a group race but at 10k, maybe a group 3 classification could be bought in to these kind of races... waikato cup, manawatu cup etc etc.... Disappointing that there was no forward thinking again by clubs with the NZRS final clashing with the Wanganui cup, leaving a few decent ones that raced today not able to go in at Wanganui. Another clash i noticed later this month is the Nz St Ledger and the Sires produce in the same week. Both restricted age races. It shouldnt be that hard for feature races to be programmed where there are little or no clashes.... there is only a certain number of decent races a year

Am looking forward to these heats tommorow, but it really is a shame to see Unprofessional, who albeit is a C3 chaser, sitting on the ballot and un-able to run. I know their are criterias involved for these races but sometimes i believe the club need to have a "wildcard" option where promising youngsters can get there chance against seasoned pro's.

No disrespect to the dogs mentioned below but personally i think Unprofessional would give them windburn!

Asher

Howling wind

Mr Meticulous

Thrilling Buddy

Freddy John

That's being kind to a few others that Unprofessional would have the wood over! Will still look forward to the heats but when you see a dog with this much potential it would add another dimension to the race.

You are joking

The elite grade is C5 and if the dog has not reached this grade then should not get special wildcard treatment.

There is a big jump between C3 and C5 , and it would open a huge can of worms giveing dogs preferential treatment to get a start in a open class race when it is 2 grades lower. If the trainer really wanted a chance to get into the race then he would have tried to improve his grades

Iam sure there is plenty in store for this dog but ive never heard anything more rediculous

You are joking

The elite grade is C5 and if the dog has not reached this grade then should not get special wildcard treatment.

There is a big jump between C3 and C5 , and it would open a huge can of worms giveing dogs preferential treatment to get a start in a open class race when it is 2 grades lower. If the trainer really wanted a chance to get into the race then he would have tried to improve his grades

Iam sure there is plenty in store for this dog but ive never heard anything more rediculous

But didnt Bigtime Kinvarra win a listed race when he was only assessed as a C2 or C3. Wildcard entry would be an exciting idea.

Totally with tipster on this. How do you manage a preferential system? At the club's discretion? To many worms in that can.

On times you'd have Unprofessional but he's had no decent competition. Had to work a bit in a couple of races but only to get past one dog - not three or four.

Like any sport you have to earn your place in the spotlight

Totally with tipster on this. How do you manage a preferential system? At the club's discretion? To many worms in that can.

On times you'd have Unprofessional but he's had no decent competition. Had to work a bit in a couple of races but only to get past one dog - not three or four.

Like any sport you have to earn your place in the spotlight

The dog simply hasnt had he time to get up the grades, has the ability to be in it and should be. These races should not be just for c5 dogs... The connections are being punished for not rushing their dog through the grades.

The dog simply hasnt had he time to get up the grades, has the ability to be in it and should be. These races should not be just for c5 dogs... The connections are being punished for not rushing their dog through the grades.

i cant see were the trainer is being punished surely they know the rules and when the race was gazetted for

If he has not had time it aint got nothing to do with it

Maybe trainers who have a quick qualifier should get a start in Wanganui Cup heats based on your theory, and C5 dogs miss out getting start " how rediculous"

You might as well get rid of the grading system

Your theory would just not work

i cant see were the trainer is being punished surely they know the rules and when the race was gazetted for

Great example is Kerobokan, won 10 in a row, then reached open class and is just a open class dog

Just because a dog is winning them in a row down the grades and running quick it does not mean it is going to be competitive in open class, and deserve to get preferential treatment to get in feature races

FFS Tippy...... 17.33 and 29.68 at Wangas and he "just an open class dog"???

Maaaaaaan u a hard marker fulla for a this years restricted age dog.

How's Harry???

Was just an example of a dog reaching open class after 10 wins, keep your hair on hows Corby?

The trainers are patient. She was outstanding last night.

The trainers are patient. She was outstanding last night.

Would a maiden going fast enough, get a start and what grade would it be if it won? C5 and you may say the trainer has been penalised again.

Invitation races are what you guys are talking about where Unprofessional would have been eligible.

I think the last time this agument came up Glen, someone pointed out that Thrilling Brat had on more than one occassion been eligible for the nzrs c2 series and yet you felt he should also have been eligible for the c5 feature at the time. The trianer has to target their dogs program towards where they want to go. Trying to be eligible for the lot is not on.

If Unprofessional has not had enough time to get there then as a ntural part of his career he will get the chance.

Totally agree Mike, you have a lower graded dog that has run time beating maidens and class one's and so you deserve to go in any race you like? Get real, do the hard yards first then you deserve to have a crack

And not every dog that has got to class 5 has been flogged in doing so

Asher

Howling wind

Mr Meticulous

Thrilling Buddy

Freddy John

Mate, down in the lower grades, she was looking superb. 12L, 9L. As she got higher in class, times have gone from 29.72, margin of 13L ("") to now, 30.39 3/4L. She isn't as flash as she was down in class, still a good bitch, do not get me wrong. To make a call like that where dogs like Freddy John are proven at C5, windburn? LOL.

She can be a bit tardy on the jump but the acceleration she shows to the first bend is incredible, but in a race of C5s where 90% of the field are brilliant out of the traps and can run time, she'll need to improve her box manners. Still though, she is a nice bitch, nothign against her, would love to have 2 of her my kennels anyway!

Maybe you didn't see the run howrude. Yes, 30.39 but man what a run. Was last and couldn't possibly win. Got past some pretty handy dogs. Phenomenal performance. Also, BON was only 30.10. I wasn't sure this dog was anything too special but after that run I'm convinced she is

Maybe you didn't see the run howrude. Yes, 30.39 but man what a run. Was last and couldn't possibly win. Got past some pretty handy dogs. Phenomenal performance. Also, BON was only 30.10. I wasn't sure this dog was anything too special but after that run I'm convinced she is

That everyone will agree with you about how good she is. it was one of the best wins I have seen for a while but that has no bearing on her getting in ahead of c5 dogs.

Pretty much what i expected most people to say, sticking up for so called "criteria's". I know these are in place for a reason but personally as a greyhound follower/punter i want to see the best field assembled possible, and i really dont see what the big problem would be with having a "wildcard" option if their are not enough heats for all dogs to get a run.

No disrespect to any dogs mentioned below, they may be a C5 grading but it doesn't make for pretty reading.

ASHER, a 6 win dog with a personal best time at Wanganui of 30.61,

HOWLIN WIND, a 43 start dog who has won 6 races, has had 9 starts at hat-trick and yet to taste victory.

MR. METICULOUS, who certainly has been a great dog for connections and is a competitive chaser at Manawatu, has a personal best of 30.45 at hat-trick but is hardly competitive at the highest level.

THRILLING BUDDY, a 60 start dog of 10 wins, in his last 30 starts has managed 3 wins at Manawatu in average time.

Even one of my old favorites Freddy John who certainly deserves his place in the field over long jeopardy, but since winning the Wanganui cup this time last year, has had 40 starts for 2 wins over 755m and 650m respectively.

If you really believe the best Wanganui Cup field was assembled then each to their own, but personally i believe some 'human' input into selection criteria is a good thing. UNPROFESSIONAL sure was a super run on Friday night! The $1.40 wasnt looking too good after the first bend!

Years ago I had an exceptional dog who was only C1 at the time of the NZ Cup hts,I nomed him for the heats knowing he was graded way too low.He ended up as a reserve and got a start in the heats.He came out and won his heat and was placed 3 rd in the final!But I knew it was a fluke he even got a start and would not have been dissapointed at all had he not got a start as I knew the rules.

However I agree that the C5 group races are exactly that and if your dog isnt C5 then ya take ya chances.There will always be a good 1 coming through that isnt graded high enough but they will get their turn in time.

AC

i think jealous people out there...u train 600 winners in a season then you have the right to talk big and be a know all!!!

bloooody pitaful people

At least quote who your talking about. Since when did you have to train 600 winners in a season to have an opinion.