RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Zither

Breed a good small one?

I've got a smaller than average but strong mare, and I'm wondering whether I'm better off going to a good smaller stallion rather than try and put some size in the breed - breed to her strengths or move back to the average?

What are your learned thoughts on this?

I've got a smaller than average but strong mare, and I'm wondering whether I'm better off going to a good smaller stallion rather than try and put some size in the breed - breed to her strengths or move back to the average?

I would try to bring her back to average...especially if its her first foal....there will be many suggestions....

You dont see many small ones win big races at Flemington in Melbourne (always exceptions..tidal light etc).

some horses that can leave good size that might be worth a look (without knowing pedigree) include but not limited to:

any suggestions

Nom Du ju (sp)

iffraaj

Falkirk is purhaps a strong version for you with slightly less size if yo ugo that way...

more importantly what are you trying to breed to race where...???

Well not a lot of point in going to a small stallion unlless you want to breed ponies.

Unless she's out of a small mare herself there's no reason why she shouldn't produce a perfectly normal sized offspring to an average size stallion

I have a well related strong but shorter mare - having gone to well bred - and on paper suitably matched horses breed wise - (if not highly commercial) her smaller but correct off spring did not get a look in when I wanted to sell or the price was lower than it otherwise might have been. Depends if you are keeping offspring or not..

Smaller makes it harder for the horse to succeed as an athlete and life as a 'successful' race horse, $$ wise is very hard to achieve indeed. For your wallet and the mares future try for more size as well as breeding to her strengths or both of you - may - go backwards.

Interestingly I have a large mare and was keen on Don Eduardo however their website says that his most successful offspring have come from smaller mares - so maybe there's an idea :)

Interestingly I have a large mare and was keen on Don Eduardo however their website says that his most successful offspring have come from smaller mares - so maybe there's an idea :)

He may be the answer to Brendan's quest. I had two giants by Don Eduardo out of a big mare and I've never seen a midget by him.

Do you remember the 80s &90s Hilux's that built the Toyota brand?

The latest ones are bigger and more powerful than those ones and they do something that the origionals didnt, They break down.

One of the staff at Haunui told me that they know what type of mare suits DE. We bought at the sale a very nice type of mare of average size who had two DE colts of good size and type. A yearling and a weanling. Be guided by them in whether your mare is suitable for him or not.

Our smallest mare produces really good sized progeny - even her filly is going to be at least 16h

Have you seen her dam or sire, if so what size are they? If both small then your chances of tall are slimmer.

Thanks guys. She's a pentire mare out of a sir Tristram dam. All suggestions appreciated!

Pentire has been known to throw some small ones.

With Don Eduardo small/med mares are best. A tall mare to D E may well produce something too big.