RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
myk

Tobacco Tax

As a non smoker,I am very interested in latest tax paid to Gvt by tobacco company,$801 million plus $32.9 million in company tax,over $830 million.If health cost is 10% of this,why would you want to stop people smoking and decrease income,this total figure being about same as 16 State owned enterprises earned the Gvt last year.Surely this money is funding the "Wha Ora"programme,the minister in charge of that being the same lady as leading the crusade against demolishing smokers rights.Possibly paying also for current 5 MPs and wives on a junket around the world at an expence of $158,000.00 to the taxpayer,not to mention continuous payouts to tribes.And lets not even mention the cost of alcohol consumption to the taxpayer,crime,hospitalisation,prisons,maiming.Maybe time to increase excise tax on that to cover these costs.It seems the smokers are paying their way,lets make it an equal playing field.

My medical practitioner, who was advising that I cease smoking, used a persuasive argument.

His medical mate, who had also studied economics, stated that economists should argue that smoking should be encouraged. That is because that with so many people giving up smoking the liability for N.Z. Superannuation together with the unbelievable health costs for those aged 80+, and throw in the rest home care subsidies for so many people that exist (not live) longer.

Compare those non smokers who exist until well into their nineties; the smokers go cough cough then snuff it. No more superannuation. No more rest home subsidies. No more expensive medical care that is really costly for those aged 80+. The smokers are history before their 80th birthday.

My medical practitioner, who was advising that I cease smoking, used a persuasive argument.

His medical mate, who had also studied economics, stated that economists should argue that smoking should be encouraged. That is because that with so many people giving up smoking the liability for N.Z. Superannuation together with the unbelievable health costs for those aged 80+, and throw in the rest home care subsidies for so many people that exist (not live) longer.

Compare those non smokers who exist until well into their nineties]

smoking health stats have always been distorted by anti smokers- just a convenient excuse for government tax harvesting,

I have no doubt smoking affects people i used to be one many years ago also.

But not to the extent the health Nazis say.

However even if everyone stopped smoking it would have a minor effect on statistics as other causes increase ie diabetes, non smoking cancers, etc

On 7/5/2012 at 1:15 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

Compare those non smokers who exist until well into their nineties; the smokers go cough cough then snuff it. No more superannuation. No more rest home subsidies. No more expensive medical care that is really costly for those aged 80+. The smokers are history before their 80th birthday.

@Tauhei Notts

Did you quit smoking in the end?

Did they try push you to use Vapes/ E-Cigs?

Hope you have been following the FDA and regulations relating to these products as it all ties in with the problems we are been confronted with in our lives now with Covid19 as Public Health Advisors failed to do the economics how they would pay for the Healthcare Systems.??

I'm sure you can see the pattern of who is pushing there agendas with problems they have all created for us with their own failings to adhere to basic Laws esp Food and Drug Regulations they skirted around the edge of exporting and importing these items as Electrical or other products effectively not paying the correct Tax to go to Public Health.

Hence also why there's overwhelmed Hospital propaganda spun year after year..The rot is at the Top in these places.

Exactly, I thought once I turned 18, I was in total control of my body.  How dare some drunk mp tell me that I can't smoke bud or inject sweet sweet heroin into my veins. As long as I am not affecting others (driving, working, etc) they have no FKN SAY.  :) 

Meomy, I did not give up the fags.

The part that gets me are the big deterrent adverts on cigarette packages telling you how bad smoking is for one's physical health.  BUT there are no warnings immediately prior to the TV One and TV3 news warning that watching their crap could be detrimental to one's mental health.  I have met more people with minds numbed by those two tv channels than people who have had health problems from smoking.