RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
patsyzohs

Ring bits

I watch a good deal of European racing

and I see that their horses seem to race in snaffle bits whereas NZ and Australian

horses almost exclusvely race with fine ring bits in addition to their other bit.

Is this fashionable here or preferable?.

if so why?.

Noticed that myself.Snaffles are a kind bit and alot of horses seem to fight Ring bits especially in trackwork.They are pretty fool proof raceday as they cant go through the mouth as a snaffle can.Ringbits are no good for a hard puller as horses tend to fight them making them pull harder.

Noticed that myself.Snaffles are a kind bit and alot of horses seem to fight Ring bits especially in trackwork.They are pretty fool proof raceday as they cant go through the mouth as a snaffle can.Ringbits are no good for a hard puller as horses tend to fight them making them pull harder.

There is no reason why a snaffle bit should pull through the mouth if the bit and bridle are fitted properly, Ring bits are a lazy óne size fits all' solution and can be very hard on the mouth.

Interesting question. Always amazes me that I pay good money to have a horse broken in & going nice & kindly in a snaffle with a good mouth & when it starts training/racing automatically in the mouth goes a ring bit. I personally dislike them due to the fact find it makes most horses a lot heavier against the hand. JMHO.

There is no reason why a snaffle bit should pull through the mouth if the bit and bridle are fitted properly, Ring bits are a lazy óne size fits all' solution and can be very hard on the mouth.

mouth at all, the ring does nothing but sit in the mouth it has no action whatsoever other than making it impossible for the bit to go through the mouth. Ordinary snaffles can go through the mouth if the horse is constantly lugging, although I would be looking at why the horse is lugging rather than just changing the bit. (In saying that though the english type of loose ring snaffles with the extra large rings on them shouldnt go through.

Ring bits (dexter bits) can be better for horses that lean as the horse often wont lean with the 'ring' part of the bit loose in the mouth.

Often its not the bits that are harsh but the rider on top!!

mouth at all, the ring does nothing but sit in the mouth it has no action whatsoever other than making it impossible for the bit to go through the mouth. Ordinary snaffles can go through the mouth if the horse is constantly lugging, although I would be looking at why the horse is lugging rather than just changing the bit. (In saying that though the english type of loose ring snaffles with the extra large rings on them shouldnt go through.

Ring bits (dexter bits) can be better for horses that lean as the horse often wont lean with the 'ring' part of the bit loose in the mouth.

Often its not the bits that are harsh but the rider on top!!

I wouldn't say 'often', I'd say 'always'

the rider on top as bits do no harm unless there's pressure put on them- sadly not all the riders on top have good hands.

I wouldn't say 'often', I'd say 'always'

the rider on top as bits do no harm unless there's pressure put on them- sadly not all the riders on top have good hands.

I should have worded that alot better than I did, its sometimes hard as a rider though when you are dealing with horses from different stables with riders wrecking their mouths to rectify the problem and some horses no matter who the rider or where they are from just are going to pull no matter what.

I've found horses tend to constantly fiddle with the ring on a ring bit rather than accepting the contact. I only work and race mine in a snaffle and if the don't work well in one then they need more schooling. I hate the use of gadgets to mask issues with horses.

I hate ring bits, dreadful pieces of gear. If you want to try something different but something that will have the same result without the harshness, have a chop at a Haughton Bit. It was invented by the late, great Bill Haughton, a legendary American Harness Racing Trainer/Driver. Can't see any reason why it would not work with TB's.

Here's a link to a picture of one.

Hope it works.

http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=504

A TB would accept them far more readily than they would a ring bit & they would be less inclined to want to fight it, even with the heaviest of heavy handed bozo trackwork rider doing the honours. Hope that's of some help.

I have broken in over 400 horses and cringe on ring bits being put on them. on a well mouthed horse a snaffle bit works well. that is until scissor hammerhand jumps on board. then the horse is accused of having no mouth and ..... on goes the ring bit!!!. from there the horse will pull its block off in retaliation to the more severe bit and things go from bad to worse. within weeks the horse will start holding its breath in track gallops.... hang like a barstar...d and to follow is wind operations. from there the 100k horse is the last to be worked every morning.... the rider that slept in gets the honours..... hes the one that was partying til 4.30am, drunk as a skunk..... scissors the horse some more.... in readiness for the next sucker to jump on board!!!!. and this is apparently the horses fault!!!!

There are so many bits available to cope with varying degrees of resistance that don't do so much damage. It's a pity that in racing here it has become the norm to just sling a ring bit into everything's mouth regardless instead of taking some time to fit what works for the individual.

Having said that, put a jockey on board with hands like iron bars and they'll wreck the best of mouths in double quick time.

I hate ring bits, dreadful pieces of gear. If you want to try something different but something that will have the same result without the harshness, have a chop at a Haughton Bit. It was invented by the late, great Bill Haughton, a legendary American Harness Racing Trainer/Driver. Can't see any reason why it would not work with TB's.

Here's a link to a picture of one.

Hope it works.

http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=504

A TB would accept them far more readily than they would a ring bit & they would be less inclined to want to fight it, even with the heaviest of heavy handed bozo trackwork rider doing the honours. Hope that's of some help.

That's an interesting bit of tack Scotty.I've never seen one like that

That bit looks a little like the 'brad' bit but it has just had leather added to the mouth piece. I agree with all comments regarding ring bits but you all have to remember its a different game racing as you really dont have to be good at riding to have a race horse do you????? and how many trainers have ever been riders of any description so what do they know. I personally hate ring bits also and I use the brad bit occasionally the bit I prefer is same as the english favour, the loose ring snaffle but.... when things go wrong in a race they dont always help the jockey, on the other hand the bit I prefer most of all is a 'D' bit they are kind and still have a straight side so they cannot be pulled through the mouth an also dont have the spoon hanging down that could get caught in the gates ..... I believe in australia you have to have a bit that is a complete circle ie nothing that hangs down like the ring bits do.

That bit looks a little like the 'brad' bit but it has just had leather added to the mouth piece. I agree with all comments regarding ring bits but you all have to remember its a different game racing as you really dont have to be good at riding to have a race horse do you????? and how many trainers have ever been riders of any description so what do they know. I personally hate ring bits also and I use the brad bit occasionally the bit I prefer is same as the english favour, the loose ring snaffle but.... when things go wrong in a race they dont always help the jockey, on the other hand the bit I prefer most of all is a 'D' bit they are kind and still have a straight side so they cannot be pulled through the mouth an also dont have the spoon hanging down that could get caught in the gates ..... I believe in australia you have to have a bit that is a complete circle ie nothing that hangs down like the ring bits do.

Do the names like D J O'Sullivan,C Jillings,J Gibbs ring any bells regarding riders not making good traines?????

with a bit of leather around them? I find jrs (even leather covered ones) very harsh and only suitable for horses that hang on.

I hated the "D" bit.....it was the one bit that would most likely slip threw the horses mouth in a high pressure moment in a race.....the best I feel is the good on Tom thumb bit and I also like the RING bit.

Do the names like D J O'Sullivan,C Jillings,J Gibbs ring any bells regarding riders not making good traines?????

I agree with you those guys are the best but you would agree they are also exceptions and not the norm thats why they were soooo very successful we could all learn alot from them.

"and how many trainers have ever been riders of any description so what do they know"

What a load of rubbish, there are so many very good horsemsen and woman who have never ridden a horse in their lives ,so stop talking from your behind.

Just because you were a rider does not mean you are the only ones who will be good trainers, and know how to handle horses.

"and how many trainers have ever been riders of any description so what do they know"

What a load of rubbish, there are so many very good horsemsen and woman who have never ridden a horse in their lives ,so stop talking from your behind.

Just because you were a rider does not mean you are the only ones who will be good trainers, and know how to handle horses.

Absolutely right! One of the most successful trainers in UK was a professional footballer with no previous horse experience. And why should the fact that someone is a capable rider qualify them to succeed in any other aspect of the horse business.

I was actually referring to the fact that so many people just stick ring bits on and dont stop to try just a plain bit which may work quite as well as the damn ring bits. Obviously the successful trainers have taken all into consideration and must be using whats best or they wouldnt be getting the very deserving results.