RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
upsndownzs

A Salute To Our Commentators

I have been delving into the past as i often do and have been listening to alot of old racing commentaries.We are lucky to have and have had so many fine commentators.My roll call of these very gifted people past and present is:

Alan Allardyce,Chris McQuaid,Thomas Wood,Reg Clapp,Syd Tonks,Freeman Holmes,George Simon,Dave McDonald,Peter Kelly,Reon Murtha,Rob Fielder,Alan Bright,Doug Ahern,Lochie Marshall,Gordon Hutter,Murray Behrns,Trevor Wilkes,Kevin Payne,Gordon Mathieson,Bill Cherry,Darren Tyquin,Keith Haub,Tony Lee,Mike O'Sullivan,Mark McNamara,Dave Clarkson,Aaron White,Alby Gain,Bruce Sherwin,John Pritchard,Peter Earley,Jack O'Donnell,Ian Chambers,Bryan Martin,Terry Yuill and Eric Percy.

If there are any others, i would love to know,please let me know if i have misspelt any of these names.

Reg clapp will always be king of the park... Champion! R.I.P ... And he done a great intro on mike havocs show on b.f.m

Reg called trotting the light harness sport and Alexandra Park " THE RIBBON OF LIGHT". A wonderful caller right till the end.

Old Reg....With his opening line of most races....

RACING THIS TIME...

Down here in CHCH we never got to here him that much...Maybe the doubles or feature races on the 3ZB network....

Couldnt get radio pacific that good early on... You have to love the telly thou...

And more breakers than piha was another gem, you had to be oncourse to really soak in his genius,Very few people are lucky enough to be born to do an exact task in a certain environment, Reg was one of the chosen ones,like someone with a size fourteen foot with six toes finding a shoe that fits in an op shop. Destiny

That's an impressive list. Lots of memories there.

I grew up in the Nelson area and just loved the style of caller Jack O'Donnall.

"This time" at the start of every race ]..you weren't 'in Apples'...in the seventies..by any chance., and if you're who i might be recalling, then you'd have a brother., possibly two.

Originally Posted by Gruff

Reg clapp will always be king of the park... Champion! R.I.P ... And he done a great intro on mike havocs show on b.f.m

Reg called trotting the light harness sport and Alexandra Park " THE RIBBON OF LIGHT". A wonderful caller right till the end.

..he was simply doyen.

exciting continuity..strong tempo..a percussive baritone of song.,

..classic superlatives..and he passionated his descriptions.

Regg~CLAPP just might've been the best standard bred commentator on th'Planet:flower::flower::flower: . .i.m.h.o.

i called a few tote races in each code in the last 14 years, i hope that means i can be on the list

Hi Jason

If you called at a totalisator meeting i will add you to the list,thanks so much for letting me know.

Which racecourses did you call at?

I have been delving into the past as i often do and have been listening to alot of old racing commentaries.We are lucky to have and have had so many fine commentators.My roll call of these very gifted people past and present is:

Alan Allardyce,Chris McQuaid,Thomas Wood,Reg Clapp,Syd Tonks,Freeman Holmes,George Simon,Dave McDonald,Peter Kelly,Reon Murtha,Rob Fielder,Alan Bright,Doug Ahern,Lochie Marshall,Gordon Hutter,Murray Behrns,Trevor Wilkes,Kevin Payne,Gordon Mathieson,Bill Cherry,Darren Tyquin,Keith Haub,Tony Lee,Mike O'Sullivan,Mark McNamara,Dave Clarkson,Aaron White,Alby Gain,Bruce Sherwin,John Pritchard,Peter Earley,Jack O'Donnell,Ian Chambers,Bryan Martin,Terry Yuill and Eric Percy.

If there are any others, i would love to know,please let me know if i have misspelt any of these names.

I must add to my list one of the nicest people i have ever met " Alexander Fields " :)

Hi Jason

If you called at a totalisator meeting i will add you to the list,thanks so much for letting me know.

Which racecourses did you call at?

Have heard the goose calling does a good Job to.

That's an impressive list. Lots of memories there.

I grew up in the Nelson area and just loved the style of caller Jack O'Donnall.

"This time" at the start of every race ]

Me too. I recall vividly one commentary of my Dad's horse winning at Richmond - was on one of those old fashioned tape recording - I played it until it broke -

"...a grand sight in sunshine as they race toward the bottom bend, Jack Smolenski immediately gives the dust sheet a tap or two and his charge is out by a length at the moment, Canny Glen's the big danger.........and here's High Chaparell down the outer - High Chaperall races to the lead.......this will be a boilover!"

Hard to beat Haubie for humour - like the race he called when fog covered the back straight - I recall he had time to tell a joke about a cannibal family - dad, mum and son, out one day came across a lovely young maiden - the son said: hey dad lets take her home and eat her - his dad replied: No son, lets eat your mother and take this one home.