RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
small time

Having said that

Having heard all the negative about the yearling sales and now the mixed and weanling sales we slow whitted breeders are going to continue. So what should we send our festival mares to this year? and Is anyone going to be offering us deals on fees or wanting to lease go halves with us in patronising their studs? Probably we will foot the bills ourselves, flog ourselves for being stupid again as we write the cheques.

Having heard all the negative about the yearling sales and now the mixed and weanling sales we slow whitted breeders are going to continue. So what should we send our festival mares to this year? and Is anyone going to be offering us deals on fees or wanting to lease go halves with us in patronising their studs? Probably we will foot the bills ourselves, flog ourselves for being stupid again as we write the cheques.

If you are to sell you have to use one - you cannot afford to indulge yourself these days as the market is very picky despite of "how good the mating is" - it has to be commercial for buyers. There are some good value stallions out there to be found - SI has Coats Choice - leaving winners every week - good value. Saw some stunning fillies on Thurs. all sired by Edenwold and like peas from a pod. Would hate to have to choose one as all so correct with wonderful temperaments. He just needs some runners to win now - oldest still 2yo.

I agree with Kay, proven is a good way to go and often there is movement with the stud for negotiation of the price. Look around and see what suits your mare and what you like. Look at what $ you can spend on the fee then look at those standing $2-3k above and negotiate with the stud you may be pleasantly surprised.

The industry is fickle as to a "flavour of the month" when it comes to purchasing so needs to be a great type to attract attention IMHO.

Some top Festival lots this year were by:

Coat's Choice (unproven)

Cecconi (1 runner for 1 winner) (Arion)

Any Suggestion (16 runners for 3 winners) (Arion)

Guillotine (unproven)

Fully Fledged (unproven)

Shinko King (344 runners, 221 winners, 690 wins, 13 GW, 24 SW) (Arion)

Some like to use a stallion in their 3rd year hoping they have winners when their yearling is ready to hit the sales but it's all a gamble :) Good luck!

Sorry for the wrong details - what was I thinking!!!!!

According to Arion - Coat's Choice has

65 runners for 32 winners 58 wins 3GW and 4SW

Very good stats!

My choice of stallions if I breed this coming season would include:

Don Eduardo-consistant &

No excuse needed-I think he is excellent value & can't understand why his popularity has fallen away as he is doing a great job IMO & probably my top pick,

Any suggestion, don't personally like the rise in fee but I have a cracking filly by him & really impressed.

Towkay

Gallant guru, know he is just ticking over but still get the feeling he will throw some nice stayers.

I also have a Fast'n'Famous colt that although not big or a looker really impresses me with his galloping action so would consider him. The colt was the result of a in foal mare at last years sales- did not attend this year as just too depressing!

If you absolutely can't resist covering your Festival mare again Coat's Choice must be the best value in the book. No increase in his fee for this year and his stats are terrific. He also leaves really impressive types.

If you absolutely can't resist covering your Festival mare again Coat's Choice must be the best value in the book. No increase in his fee for this year and his stats are terrific. He also leaves really impressive types.

Not only that but his stock are more than holding their own at the sales

Pretty sure I wouldn't be breeding a festival mare at all,if my intention was to sell the off-spring at the sales....not much point given the 50% odds of getting a filly no-one would want........

Would only breed her if I could afford to keep and race a filly....

There is another but not too sure if around still & that is Howbaddoyouwant it, stats weren't too bad last time I checked- around 60% winners to starters.

i think he stands at goodwood stud now in manawatu, alongside chinese dragon.

when I last looked through a Festival Sale catelog there appeared to be some very good mares with foals for sale. I myself have several mares that have won upwards of 7 races and nearly $100k but can only make the Fest sale. They have even left winners. So is it because of me, a no name in racing that they don't make a 'better' sale? Would it be better if they went to sales from a top consigner? Do I need to be in a heavier debt to a top stud for the progeny of my mares to race?

I race filles, way more filly only races, increased chances of winning and a good filly beats a mediocre colt ebery time.

The answer is bred from what you like, go to stallions you think can achieve and back yourself. Problems arise when all the other experts in breeding don't agree with you and I have found that is often just because...

Louise wrote.....

I agree with Kay, proven is a good way to go and often there is movement with the stud for negotiation of the price. Look around and see what suits your mare and what you like. Look at what $ you can spend on the fee then look at those standing $2-3k above and negotiate with the stud you may be pleasantly surprised.

For those savvy breeders who are looking for a real opportunity to have a chance of breeding not only a winner but a stakes winner one cannot go past Indy King. This son of two Eclipse award winners has done everything that may have been expected of him so far. Indy King has bred stakes winners from each of his first three crops the largest of which numbered just 42. In 2010 his son Pleasant Prince proved to be amongst the very best 3 year olds in the USA, his best performance when beaten a whisker by Ice Box in the GR1 Florida Derby, Ice Box next finished runner up in the Kentucky Derby. Besides the three stakes winners from those three crops Indy King has also sired other very good performers who do not get recognised by international cataloguing as stakes winners because of their racing jurisdictions. These include the champion filly Su Majestad who is described as the best filly to race in the Dominican Republic in 30 years. Then there is 6 race winner Panhandler who was amongst the very best 2 year olds in Mexico, he finished third in the GR1 Las Americas Clasico Anahuac. Pedigree wise the field was arguably as strong a 2 year old GR1 field that could have been assembled anywhere in the world, and had 2 year old form to go with it.

Indy Kings last two crops of racing age (numbered 18 & 19 respectively) have fashioned impressive race day results . The starters to winners stats from these two crops read 11 starters 8 winners and 3 starters , 3 winners to date. You could pay AU $55 000 to go to Bernardini or Au $22 000 to go to Congrats if you wanted to breed to a son of A.P. Indy in this part of the world. Common sense says that Indy King is exceptional value.

As you know Henry I bought a lifetime service in Indy King. My weanling filly was considered by our NZB agent to be the standout in among our crop of babies this year and I might add that the foals are are a very nice lot - every set of legs correct and they are nicely balanced types. Stallions used are Indy King, Edenwold multiples, Remind & Perfectly Ready.

My in foal mare (USA bred) is by Quiet American out of a Danzig daughter - a lot of AP Indy's stallion sons have come from Quiet American mares - ie Berardini.

Indy King has a very versatile pedigree and would suit a wide range of mares - bloodlines good stout lines, tried and proven + the stallion himself is already proven in USA - such good value.

I have a good looking Indy king foal and mare in foal again, It was good seeing I Am the King win last Saturday american racing on Trackside it on the grass as well. Have a look at this Indy King winning this Month

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/racing-wagering/toteboard/2012-05-04/8 A'intyoudreamin.

Indy King progeny $4,913,986 cant wait

Henry, his pedigree is good but can you tell me the type of mare suits him best?

John, Indy King is a big horse with great symetry and balance. He is capable of throwing big correct leggy horses so its best to send him an average size mare. Having said that perhaps his most impressive individual from his first crop was bred from a mare that stands at least 16.1hh. Most of his first NZ crop are distinctive types that are well put together.

Leaves extremely good types. He has left some nice horses and all he needs is a breakthrough horse or 2 to be very commercial.

I have a weanling filly who is a well balanced; strong quartered individual with a lovely head. Her dam has had 7 foals for 7 winners with 2 very promising sorts running around at the moment (1 very close to being black type). Dams 1/2 sister sold a colt at Easter for $Aus120k.

If I had a colt I might have considered selling at Karaka, purely on type, even though with her dams background she we were looking at Festival.

So better off to keep the filly & hope one of her siblings kicks on. Happy to try her myself and hope she does something to make herself commercial. She owes me next to nothing as I bought the mare in foal for a pittance.

If she hadn't been such a late foal I would have sent her back to him last season. Definitely going back this year.

Leaves extremely good types. He has left some nice horses and all he needs is a breakthrough horse or 2 to be very commercial.

I have a weanling filly who is a well balanced]

Agree with you - I will be keeping an eye on Red Shift this weekend in Brissie :)

Agree with you - I will be keeping an eye on Red Shift this weekend in Brissie :)

Nice 3rd by RED SHIFT second up from a break, and second stakes placing for LUCKY UNICORN stock, the other being CAPITAL DIAMOND.

Nice 3rd by RED SHIFT second up from a break, and second stakes placing for LUCKY UNICORN stock, the other being CAPITAL DIAMOND.

I didn't see the race just heard it on the car radio - sounded like Brambles had it all over them . I hope a Group win not too far away for this stallion I think he deserves one :) - ever so close with Capital Diamond and am impressed with Red Shift and others I have seen.