RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
couldbeawinner

Lest We Forget

I remember that night well, mister square and milina pushed out right near the winning post and wiped out my horse mairo sultan when going beautifully, I was standing right there, mairo went out and won the year after

was the horse who first sparked my love of harness racing.

He was racing in a truly magic era Wag, Arapaho, Manaroa, Noodlum. There were epic weekly battles.

Robalan was a free legged pacer ... ah the memories

Robalan was the first horse that really grabbed my interest in a big way ( I think l was about 8 or 9 at the time)

And yes - free legged pacers rule !

Robalan and Final Decision were probably the best 2 free legged pacers in this country and it was great to see them both in the flesh at the Auckland Interdominions (1974 ??)

I previously mentioned Great Adios.....in the Inters in 1968...ran as handicapp racing....because of their handicaps both Great Adios and Lordship did not earn enough points to race in the Grand Final'''if I correctly recall both won consolation races

What was the Infamous Midnight Scandal??

As I said my memory is a bit of a haze but..I the 1990's Bevan Laming trained at Riccarton or thereabouts.

He had a jet black decent horse called Midnight. From memory alone the horse was "not given every opportunity to obtain the best possible placing" in a race when there was big money on it.

Laming was threatened with all manner of things including being shot. The threats were taken seriously by Laming and the Police. Not long after he moved his base to Queensland.

I remember that night well, mister square and milina pushed out right near the winning post and wiped out my horse mairo sultan when going beautifully, I was standing right there, mairo went out and won the year after

Hi Gruff, found the old race book from the night in question. Milna and Mister Square were in the race but Mairo Sultan wasn't. The only thing I remember apart from Tussle winning was that Ryder driving By The Way thought the race 2 1/4 laps rather than 3 1/4 laps and caused some interference when trying to win the race a lap to soon!

Gaelic Skipper was only 3 in 1985 so would have been 8 during the 1990 Inters.

Was a favorite of mine at the time, as was cinimod junior, turned up one night with a 0000 formline and ran them ragged over 2700 in 3.22. , went on from that and performed nicely in a couple of good races at addington

Kevin Greer in Inglewood had Cinamod Junior, 40 odd starts for a couple of wins, then sold to Ken Webber who won 6 or so races. Won a Wellington Cup I think.

I have dug out another old racebook from 14th February 1987 and found Cinimod won this $75,000 race from Skipper Dale, Aran Blaze and Borana. I think the race was run in slushy conditions which would explain why Master Mood was unplaced (MM had won the Auckland Cup at his previous start plus the NZ Cup, NZ FFA and Miracle Mile treble in late 1986).

At the time Cinimod's record was 46 Starts, 10 wins, 2 thirds $59k in stakes and he picked up another $49K for winning that night.

He did finish 1st in the 1987 Wellington Cup driven by the youngster Peter Ferguson(19) from Rolls Hanover and Andronicus 3rd.Interestingly the Dress Rug emblazoned with Cinimod Junior winner of the Wellington Cup was displayed for several years inthe clubrooms of course testiment to something that never happened.

Was a good horse in its day. Young Charles/Lorraine, owned by the Herberts at Amberley.

Mike Cartridge the local vet (in Waikari)also had a share in the horse. He told me that the night it won at the CHCH interdoms he had $10 E|W on Rain Again and being an outsider he collected plenty off the tote.

At a guess I would say 9 or 10 at the time of the ID Final he finished 2nd in. I first saw Gaelic Skipper on the night Tussle won the 1985 Rowe Cup - this was the only time I have been to Alexandra Park. He was in low class race for horses that had won a race or two and he made up a trifecta worth about 14 grand. My father and I had picked Tabella Supreme, Gaelic Skipper and another rank outsider who made up the trifecta but unfortunately we didn't have any money on it. 14 grand was a lot of money to a 12 year old school boy!

Its time you came to Alex Park again. The place is amazing. You will notice a few changes

Won its share of races. Hi Lo Forbes/Golden Legacy. They should have sent him to the Purdons earlier in his career.

This horse was very unlucky to race at the same time as the great Young Quinn.

Any other time and he would have been the best horse of his era. Ultra consistant and of course 2nd to YQ in the 75 Inter final.

1974 NZ Cup

Robalan................ D D Nyhan

Kotare Legend....... B J Anderson

Young Quinn......... P T Wolfenden

Hi Foyle................ H W Skinner

Lightsey.............. R A Belcher

Why Bill.............. T C Behrns

Noble Lord.......... D G Nyhan

Van Glory............. D G Jones

Speedy Guest...... J W Smolenski

Bomber Bill............ K D Townley

Hakim................... D J Townley

Fab........................M A Skinner

Dwayne..................J S Dalgety

Stroll Away.............T M May

1975 NZ Cup

Lunar Chance.........K N Lawlor

Final Decision.........R F Mitchell

Robalan.................D D Nyhan

Speedy Guest.........J W Smolenski

Was at least 200 yards from the leader,Lunar Chance , after missing away,with two rounds to go ,in the 1975 Cup. Micron was second last in a gap, with whatever back to Final Decision. He paced his last mile and a half in somewhere around 2.58 to run second. I remember Robert Mitchell, who drove him, saying that he still thought he was going to win on the turn, he was going that well. Fantastic run ,just peaked at the very end. Great looking horse with not much gear to clean, who went to USA and back again.

Mike Cartridge the local vet (in Waikari)also had a share in the horse. He told me that the night it won at the CHCH interdoms he had $10 E|W on Rain Again and being an outsider he collected plenty off the tote.

A subsequent Rain Again was trained by Neil Brady in the 90's. Won 8 straight culminating in the Messenger.Owned by Brian & Beryl Madsen from Ruawai.