RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
abit roughhouse

No form update for Waikouaiti Races

from todays ODT...

The Totalisator Agency Board was unable to supply fields for the Waikouaiti meeting tomorrow with form updated from Kurow yesterday.

"We now take the database from New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing and there is nobody working in the bureau to update the form," Paul Cavie, the racing publications administrator for the TAB, said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/racing/87810/racing-eel-win-headed-trentham-after-success-kurow-cup-yesterday

The form is updated on the fields shown on the NZTR site.

But this does highlight another [ ! ] peeve of mine.

The Racing Bureau of NZTR was set up to provide a more centralised, efficient service and consequently save the industry money, considered wasted with the duplication of services that formerly existed with every club, large and small, maintaining office and secretarial staff.

Well I remember harried club secretaries scrambling to get telexes and faxes off to the conference in time for the fields to make the papers.

I have no idea what the Bureau itself costs to maintain, but I bet it is considerable.

I also can't bring to mind [ there may be a few ] any racing club office staff that have lost their jobs as a result of the Bureau's presence.

So where are the savings?

Harness Racing NZ seems to manage perfectly well without such a monolith.

After all, in the computer age we now live in, information can be transmitted in an instant by the click of a mouse.

I should add I have no problem with the job the Bureau does, or with any of its staff, just the principle.

Just another example of the wastage sanctioned by NZTR while asking us to tighten our belts.

from todays ODT...

The Totalisator Agency Board was unable to supply fields for the Waikouaiti meeting tomorrow with form updated from Kurow yesterday.

"We now take the database from New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing and there is nobody working in the bureau to update the form," Paul Cavie, the racing publications administrator for the TAB, said.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/racing/87810/racing-eel-win-headed-trentham-after-success-kurow-cup-yesterday

Paul Cavie???

Is this the same Paul Cavie who was the Sportsman of the 20th Century?

Amongst his many achievements were:

Remaining in the Top 10 in Snooker throughout the 80's where he and Jimmy White toured together relentlessly

Placed in the London Marathon, although he himself cannot remember what year

Played twice in the All Blacks Trial game as half-back, in the same era as Neil Sorenson, although Sos does not remember him, and Cavie himself cannot remember what years he played in the Trials

Almost made the All Whites squad of 1982, but for a strained little finger

Played professionally for Wairarapa Bush throughout the 80's

The bloke is an absolute legend! :D

Paul Cavie???

Remaining in the Top 10 in Snooker throughout the 80's where he and Jimmy White toured together relentlessly

Played twice in the All Blacks Trial game as half-back, in the same era as Neil Sorenson, although Sos does not remember him, and Cavie himself cannot remember what years he played in the Trials

Despite the above he could never top you off in the Wellington Annual pie eating competition.

On 12/31/2009 at 12:34 PM, Cascade said:

Paul Cavie???

Yes - found it!