RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Styxmyfavourite

Commentating "Blues"

George Simon really does have to lift his game "four or five notches" calling the place-getters horses across the line.

A friend and I were discussing his inaccuracy in close finishes just yesterday and how well-known he is for this failing...today at Te Aroha he is certainly coming up well short of what one should reasonably expect.

R4 - calls Sophia's Dream 3rd when clearly Encosta Larrocha was 3rd.

Margin: short head

R5 - calls A Keepa 3rd when clearly Holy Moly was 3rd.

Margin: short head

Ok...I was watching on television so could clearly see what was 3rd in both instances ...what about the poor sods relying solely on radio broadcasts !

The reality, people can get nose decisions wrong, it would be unreasonable to expect otherwise....but short head margins...if he can't pick those, I would have to question if he's really up to the job at hand.

Come on George, let's bring it on, eh, a bit of accuracy. Too much to ask for..surely not ! I'm sure he's a great guy...but he's not being paid to be a great guy.

No problem with that .......just put me down as the lone dissenting voice then, not entirely satisfied with the number of inaccurate calls in a tight finish, from someone presumably paid pretty well to get those short head calls right.

And in case anyone thinks I'm going to "bag" him for getting the Say No More / Fleur De Line call wrong as well ....no, I'm not.

If he can't get the short head decisions right..how can we possibly expect him to succeed on the nose decisions ! I'll say no more !

They have a difficult job ,and George is generally a very good gallops commentator,but he has been making alot of errors in close finishes, he may have eyesight issues, and in other instances he calls a finish close when there is an obvious result. He will come right

He is a good caller, and basically the best we have.

maybe his work load is catching up with him (harness calling) quantity over quality.

Because i have noticed last week many mistakes by him, and the terrible mistake of calling fluer de lune home first which for a moment had jockeys connections and the public convinced she had won (very poor).

but the good thing about him is he would be the first to admit how wrong that was.

lets hope hes not being over worked and that be bounces back for the big Group One this saturday when jimmy choux and veyron fight it out.