RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Forrest

Sir Percy

Seems that from his small books of mares that he is getting a fair proportion of winners. He youngsters through the ring on the whole looked very nice. My yearling filly is booked to be broken in 3 months hence as she was a Dec foal.

So far Sir Percy's winners are pretty evenly spread amongst the sexes..17 winners of which 9 are colts and 8 are fillies. Of his 4 black type performers, the score is 2 each.

2009 1st crop (NH)

34 starters for 16 winners and 14 placegetters

2010 crop (NH)

1 starter for 1 winner

As a matter of interest can you say what type of tracks his stock are performing on?

His winners have been on both turf and all weather tracks....no clear preference

Winning distances have been from 1000m to 2400m.

Track conditions have been good to soft for his winners

His winners have been on both turf and all weather tracks....no clear preference

Winning distances have been from 1000m to 2400m.

Track conditions have been good to soft for his winners

Thanks, he sounds very promising.

Finishing fourth in a listed race surely doesn't constitute black type ?

No it does not,a simople mistake on my part,was going on memory.

Salford art did run some great races last campaign and that fourth was a good run.

I notice it ran fourth again in blacktype race on wed night as well.

Coquet won listed race for fillies last night over approx. 2000m first up from spell and according to some on an interrupted preperation.

Yes that was her first start for the season so she seems to have progressed nicely...with the trainer saying she "will improve immensely" with the run.

She is apparently pressing on to the Oaks next week so Sir Percy will have a runner in the Derby (Cavaleiro) and now in the Oaks...from around 40 odd foals in his first crop to go along with his other two stakesperformers and a host of very, very promising types.

The pleasing thing is the further they are going in distance the better they are staying on strongly (the ones out of staying mares).

I haven't seen one yet that had his explosive acceleration though...

Hey Lotsofggs I have a outstanding colt by Sir Percy about to be weaned next month.

He leads and walks onto my truck already.

He is a half brother to Bally Duff/Think Mink.

I missed the entry to Broodmare/Weanling sale so have two options prepare for yearling sale or sell to you.

Hey Steve what is the breeding of your Sir Percy weanling?

Sir Percy recorded his 16th individual 1st crop winner last night when Sir John Hawkwood won a 2000m maiden at Windsor by six lengths easing down.

Thats 16 individual winners and a further 14 placegetters from his 1st crop of 34 runners. Wow!

Of those winners, 4 are black type performers with Cavaleiro joining the ranks after running 3rd in Group 3 Lingfield Derby trial last weekend and Salford Art lines up in a Group 3 2000m race tomorrow night.

Sir Percy landed his 17th individual 1st crop winner in Germany overnight when Rule Brittania won over 1800m.

That's 17 winners and and 15 placegetters from 35 starters with a rep in the Derby and the Oaks this week!

Hurry back Sir Percy...in the 2013 season

Do you think he will be back if he keeps up at this rate? If his progeny were to factor in the oaks or derby he possibly could return but I doubt he would be anywhere near as affordable as he has been :-(

Seriously lovely stallion though & I really do see him continuing with his sucess & think anyone that has supported him will be rewarded with a nice racehorse.

Do you think he will be back if he keeps up at this rate? If his progeny were to factor in the oaks or derby he possibly could return but I doubt he would be anywhere near as affordable as he has been :-(

Seriously lovely stallion though & I really do see him continuing with his sucess & think anyone that has supported him will be rewarded with a nice racehorse.

It's been suggested he will be back for 2013. He seems to be producing fast stayers but it's still early days. What a boost for NZ breeding.

Omarsharif wrote

Fast stayers seems such a glib throw away line. What is it supposed to mean ? Cavaleiro could be considered the best staying colt from Sir Percy's first crop by virtue of his making the Epsom Derby field. Does his last place finish in the race qualify him as a fast stayer ?

Coquet ran a commendable sixth in the Epsom Oaks and looks by far the best horse sired by Sir Percy to date and remains his only stakes winner so far. For mine the jury is out on Sir Percy, not sure if he has done enough to return :confused:

It's been suggested he will be back for 2013. He seems to be producing fast stayers but it's still early days. What a boost for NZ breeding.

I would take the tip that with Jimmy Choux there...he won't be back.

Omarsharif wrote

Henri,

Most of the time I think your view is on the money,

On this occasion though I think your being harsh.

If INDY KING or any of the other freshman sires you have written about had a similar record from that size crop in their first and second season at stud, I reckon you would be judging them more favorably.

Not to mention his sales of progeny have been good as well.

I for one hope he returns so I get the chance to use him, and I would prefer he didnt have any more success black type wise for self interest sake, because he may end up across the tasman at a much higher fee.

Forrest

I think that when sires are put up for discussion here that all viewpoints should be aired.

The problem is that we tend to treat some sires (Stud Farms and personalities) as sacred cows which defeats the purpose of the forum. In the case of Sir Percy I am calling it as I see it, in fact I am a huge fan of the classic type of racehorse and Sir Percy would be the epitome of the classic racehorse with pedigree to back it up. In his first three seasons I have been instrumental in Sir Percy serving eight mares so am watching his progress with great interest.

I have said it before, all things considered Sir Percy has made a reasonable enough start with his first NH crop. Ideally I would have liked him to make the kind of start that fellow sophomore sire Shirocco (by Monsun) has made. :)

Omarsharif wrote

Actually Coquet in The Oaks was showing a trendous turn off foot, (looking to me that she would be right in the finish) when she was serverly interfered with and slammed against the rail.

Whether she would have won or just place, it is of course impossible to say.

To be pushed back to near last, balance up, and still finish 6th was an outstanding effort.

After getting up in the middle of the night it was a real let down to what might have been.

The Derby though was a let down too, but for a different reason as Calaviero started fading as soon as they turned for home and finished a poor last.

From what I saw on Friday and Saturday night the filly will be competitive in any Group race she competes in but the colt will need to look for something easier.

Forrest

I think that when sires are put up for discussion here that all viewpoints should be aired.

The problem is that we tend to treat some sires (Stud Farms and personalities) as sacred cows which defeats the purpose of the forum. In the case of Sir Percy I am calling it as I see it, in fact I am a huge fan of the classic type of racehorse and Sir Percy would be the epitome of the classic racehorse with pedigree to back it up. In his first three seasons I have been instrumental in Sir Percy serving eight mares so am watching his progress with great interest.

I have said it before, all things considered Sir Percy has made a reasonable enough start with his first NH crop. Ideally I would have liked him to make the kind of start that fellow sophomore sire Shirocco (by Monsun) has made. :)

Henri,

I have no problem with differing points of view ,I am serious though versus INDY KING.

From memory they have both served similar numbers in their first season at stud.

If INDY KING had similars number of winners and black type performances in his first season ,I would consider that a successful first season?

Forrest wrote

Henri,

I have no problem with differing points of view ,I am serious though versus INDY KING.

From memory they have both served similar numbers in their first season at stud.

If INDY KING had similars number of winners and black type performances in his first season ,I would consider that a successful first season?

Firstly this thread is about Sir Percy and the merits of his first crop, not a comparison between Sir Percy and Indy King. Now that you have decided to go there let’s have a look.

In terms of opportunity both in crop numbers and quality of mares served Sir Percy has had arguably the better chance ie 49 foals to the 24 produced by Indy King in his first season. In other words from their respective first crops Indy King has a 4% stakes winner ratio and Sir Percy 2%.

From that first crop of only 24 foals Indy King has had 18 runners 15 winners. Indy King bred Indy Joe who won on debut at 2 years by 71/4 lengths at Delaware Park beating Proud Kentuckian and Smooth It Over who both went on to become stakes horses. At three years Indy Joe won the Rumson Stakes and placed 3rd in the GR3 Jersey Shore Stakes. Besides Indy Joe that first crop has yielded a number of tough hard knocking winners of both sexes that train on including Dr Stick (7 wins), Indy O (6 wins) Indys Ahyoka (6 wins) and Sister Gal (5 wins).

From his second crop numbering 40 foals Indy King sired 30 runners of which 21 have won. This second crop yielded the very good filly Mindy Queen a winner of 10 raced including the Assinaboia Oaks in Canada by 9 lengths and the Prairie Rose Stakes in the USA. Mindy Queen also ran second in the Wishng Well Stakes beating Rinterval. Rinterval at her next start you may recall gave Zenyatta a torrid time fully extending the mighty mare to a neck victory in the GR1 Clement L Hirsch Handicap.

The second crop of Indy King also produced Su Majestad who is said to be best filly to race in the Dominican Republic in the last 30 years. This filly was a machine and IMHO would have competed with the best anywhere in the world. As a 2 year old she beat a field of 3 year old fillies by 14 lengths in a stakes race. Thats impressive even in the Dominican Republic.

Other multiple race winners from Indy Kings second crop include Royal Vessal (9 wins), I am The King (8 wins), Anad Queen (7 wins) Bay King (6 wins ) Crafty Sisterinlaw (5 wins) and King Tanner (5 wins).

The third crop of Indy King has thrown up Pleasant Prince who was one of the very best 3 year old horses of his year winning two regional Derbies (Ohio Derby GR3 and Oklahoma Derby) and runner up in the GR1 Florida Derby.

Considering the opportunity in terms of mare quality I think that it is not unreasonable to think that Indy King has done well enough so far. He has lived up to his impeccable pedigree and is showing that he has that elusive sire element. Furthermore he is bred on the sire producing cross of A.P. Indy over daughters of Mr Prospector, responsible for highly successful sires Pulpit, Malibu Moon, Mineshaft, Congrats and Flatter. Indy King stands for a mere $3500.