RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Forrest

Sir Percy

It is interesting too that Percy Jackson one of his winners from last season in UK is now racing in HK. I really like SP, very disappointed my mare didn't get in foal to him last season :-(

Hey Lotsofggs I have a outstanding colt by Sir Percy about to be weaned next month.

He leads and walks onto my truck already.

He is a half brother to Bally Duff/Think Mink.

I missed the entry to Broodmare/Weanling sale so have two options prepare for yearling sale or sell to you.

Thankyou for the offer but alas I shall have to decline :-) Will persist with my mare again this year I think as the match would be a very nice one.

Someone could correct me if I am not right but I think Sir Percy has had 3 x 3yr old winners already this NH season so you might want to hold him to yearling sales.

UK runner today 2009 foal Aliante 2nd in a 2414 maiden race. Quite a distance for a youngster.

I have a yearling filly and another on the way albeit a very late mating due to mare having difficulty conceiving. I love my yearling girl and am pleased she is a filly after being disappointed she was not a colt to sell.

It will be interesting to see what his first crop in NZ do next season after being so successful in the NH. So many instances of stallions firing in one hemisphere and not in another. With a mare in foal to him I have my fingers tightly crossed for Sir Percy.

If you take the view that european horses are superior ( generally not always) from a mile and a half on , as witnessed by so many imports coming and conquering australia in recent times , you would have to be pretty unlucky if SIR PERCY failed in the southern hemisphere, given the horses he competed against and beat were of mostly superior quality to most of those who came over.

Also although sometimes it has been true that northern hemisphere sires have not fired down here, HIGH CHAPARRAL i think and i have not looked closely at figures, has been more successful here than in the northern hemisphere as one example.

Sorry i meant a mile and a quarter and as we can see with manighar etc with aussie nz style training methdods former dour types improve their zip to the point you can make a good case that they are superior from a mile upwards

Add that to aust and nz breeding stocks and i think southern hemisphere are the eventual winners

I will run my hands down the back of he couch and hopefully find an extra couple of dollars to join the SIR PERCY momentum

My mare is by O'Reilly & has 3 foals who very much look alike, albeit to different stallions. 4th foal by Sir Percy is a different type and very much like the stallion. Have other breeders noticed whether their foals are more like stallion or mare?

Kay my colt looks similar to Sir Percy very athletic with plenty of leg but is dark brown in colour.Has the greatest temperament and very easy to lead and handle.Will definitely be sending my mare to Sir Percy this breeding season.

Our girl has been a pleasure from day one - lovely to handle, friendly, great for farrier. All we hope is the next one is a colt. Don't know how much longer Sir Percy will shuttle so took the opportunity to get a 2nd foal sired by him. Not often we get a UK Derby winner here to use. Our mares other foals are all nice horses to deal with as well.

I have been thinking about Sir Percy lately because as Kay points out he offers NZ breeders the rare opportunity to breed to an Epsom Derby winner. As a winner of the Dewhurst Stakes at 2 years Sir Percy went on to run second in the 2000 Guineas before winning the Epsom Derby.

With the 1000 Guineas and 2000 Guineas looming I had a quick look at the ante post betting expecting to find Sir Percy represented but found that he will not be represented this year. I then had a look at his foal crops and was somewhat surprised that his first two NH crops numbered only 49 and 30 respectively. In New Zealand his first two crops have numbered 59 and 48 respectively according to foal returns submitted.

So the lingering questions that remain are:

- is it unreasonable to expect, at least, representation in these the first of the classic events or later the Derby and Oaks from such a small crop (by todays standards) ?

-With only 30 foals in his second crop what chance of having a classic representative next year ?

Sir Percy already has one stakes winner and two stakes placed runners from his first crop so far which would give him a pass mark so far. Will be watching his progress with interest.

Sir Percy has certainly been 'stamping' his progeny with his athletic looks, temperament and bone...which is what you want as it is the sires performance and pedigree that most are interested in. Some of his NH 1st crop successes are from mares who hadn't been previously successful and his second crop were very well received with a top price of 260,000 guineas at the sales last year. Many good judges are impressed with the quality of horses he is leaving. Good luck to you if you are lucky enough to have one.

I have been thinking about Sir Percy lately because as Kay points out he offers NZ breeders the rare opportunity to breed to an Epsom Derby winner. As a winner of the Dewhurst Stakes at 2 years Sir Percy went on to run second in the 2000 Guineas before winning the Epsom Derby.

With the 1000 Guineas and 2000 Guineas looming I had a quick look at the ante post betting expecting to find Sir Percy represented but found that he will not be represented this year. I then had a look at his foal crops and was somewhat surprised that his first two NH crops numbered only 49 and 30 respectively. In New Zealand his first two crops have numbered 59 and 48 respectively according to foal returns submitted.

- is it unreasonable to expect, at least, representation in these the first of the classic events or later the Derby and Oaks from such a small crop (by todays standards) ?

-With only 30 foals in his second crop what chance of having a classic representative next year ?

Sir Percy already has one stakes winner and two stakes placed runners from his first crop so far which would give him a pass mark so far. Will be watching his progress with interest.

So far in the NH, the Marcus Tregoning trained Cavalieiro is on the Epsom Derby trail, Coquet is on the Oaks trail and Bomar is on the Scandanavian Derby trail. I would suggest this is good representation from such a small first crop. Percy Jackson is now racing in Hong Kong and has put in a couple of top runs (from bad barrier positions) considering he has only just turned 3 and is mainly racing older horses. It seems the Sir Percy's are tractable, easy horses to deal with. His trainer, Marcus Tregoning commmented on what a clean-winded, easy horse to train Sir Percy was. The jury is still out but he has made a wonderful start and is expected to get better this year.

He has Alla Speranza entered for the 1000 guineas.

Omarsharif wrote ....

He has Alla Speranza entered for the 1000 guineas.

Thanks for the update, at 50/1 a lazy tenner may add interest to the race. She must be highly thought of to be a paid up entry. Would be nice to see Alla Speranza feature in the frame.

The 1000 Guineas was run over the weekend and won sensationally by Homecoming Queen a three parts sister to Dylan Thomas. Homecoming Queen romped in by 9 lengths.

Sir Percy's daughter Alla Speranza having only her 3rd race day start and first outing of the sesaon ran a creditable 6th of 17. Alla Speranza finished only 2 ½ lengths off the second placed runner Starscope.

Diala a daughter of Iffraaj ran 11th and Discourse and Lyric of Light both by Street Cry brought up the rear finishing 16th and 17th respectively.

Alla Speranza is out of Alvarita who is by Selkirk. :)

The 1000 Guineas was run over the weekend and won sensationally by Homecoming Queen a three parts sister to Dylan Thomas. Homecoming Queen romped in by 9 lengths.

Sir Percy's daughter Alla Speranza having only her 3rd race day start and first outing of the sesaon ran a creditable 6th of 17. Alla Speranza finished only 2 ½ lengths off the second placed runner Starscope.

Diala a daughter of Iffraaj ran 11th and Discourse and Lyric of Light both by Street Cry brought up the rear finishing 16th and 17th respectively.

Alla Speranza is out of Alvarita who is by Selkirk. :)

Yes a good sixth placing. She is being set for the Irish guineas by the looks of things by lining up in the Group 3 Guineas trial this weekend at zzzpardstown. Meanwhile, Cavaleiro is set to start in this weekends Group 3 Lingfield Derby Trail over 2300m. I see Salford Art finished a creditable 4th in the 2000m Listed Stakes race for fillies and Sir Percy's only stakeswinner to date, Coquet holds a nomination for the Oaks.

The next few months will be very interesting for Sir Percy. Apparently they are very excited by Bomar and classic 3 yo contender this season in Sweden/Norway.

Watch this space...

Sir Percy runner Beaumaris won a 1500m race in Varese, Italy this week. Second win (1st was as a 2yo in England).

Fleeting Image put up a game run to be nosed out of 2nd to Father of Science (High Chapparal's half brother) this week at Chester.

Yes a good sixth placing. She is being set for the Irish guineas by the looks of things by lining up in the Group 3 Guineas trial this weekend at zzzpardstown. Meanwhile, Cavaleiro is set to start in this weekends Group 3 Lingfield Derby Trail over 2300m. I see Salford Art finished a creditable 4th in the 2000m Listed Stakes race for fillies and Sir Percy's only stakeswinner to date, Coquet holds a nomination for the Oaks.

The next few months will be very interesting for Sir Percy. Apparently they are very excited by Bomar and classic 3 yo contender this season in Sweden/Norway.

Watch this space...

Salford Art ran some terrific races as a 2yo

And will definately have black type before the season is out,barring injury.

Seems that from his small books of mares that he is getting a fair proportion of winners. He youngsters through the ring on the whole looked very nice. My yearling filly is booked to be broken in 3 months hence as she was a Dec foal.

Seems that from his small books of mares that he is getting a fair proportion of winners. He youngsters through the ring on the whole looked very nice. My yearling filly is booked to be broken in 3 months hence as she was a Dec foal.

Sir Percy recorded his 16th individual 1st crop winner last night when Sir John Hawkwood won a 2000m maiden at Windsor by six lengths easing down.

Thats 16 individual winners and a further 14 placegetters from his 1st crop of 34 runners. Wow!

Of those winners, 4 are black type performers with Cavaleiro joining the ranks after running 3rd in Group 3 Lingfield Derby trial last weekend and Salford Art lines up in a Group 3 2000m race tomorrow night.