RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dan patch

Georgetown set to race in Canada

The New Zealand Pacer Georgetown was supposed to race for the first time Monday at Kawartha.A handful of horses were scratched reason being "transportation". I guess they took the bus and it broke down on the way to Kawartha. The half million dollar winner from Down Under looks to be good enough to advance to the weekly open at Mohawk and Woodbine. A few good New Zealand horses have come over to race at Mohawk and Woodbine in the last few years, gotten to the open pretty quickly and raced six or eight weeks in a row. Then their last quarters get slower and slower and soon you never hear from them again. The business model here is to race 35 times times a year. Maybe 20% of Down Under horses can do that. I think about three weeks of 1:49 miles is the most a Down Under horse can go then they need a vacation in the Caribbean. He was a bleeder down under and has been helped with lasix here. I would bet in the next few years lasix will be banned here. Then you will have to keep your bleeders and eat the losses. Without the insurance policy of selling the bleeders overseas that has to hurt the prices of the top end yearlings and good race horses. It's a chilling thought to know that your three hundred thousand dollar racehorse is now a backyard pet because of bleeding. Most of the owners I know here say that without lasix they would be very hesitant to spend big money on a yearling or top level race horse.

Top Down Under horses in North America last year : MacRaider N, a Mach three gelding, won 10 out of 38 races fastest in 1:48.4 on five eights track, a very good time being only 4/5's of a second off the world record at that size track.He won $ 311,080. Royal Cee Cee N by Christian Cullen raced 20 times , won 11 out of 20 fastest in 1:49.4 on five eights track, an excellent time.She will be racing against the top mares here this year.The tough mare won $ 297,800 for the former North Islander Marc Harder, continuing the tradition of Down under mares doing better here than the colts and geldings. Mainland Key N won 8 out of 33 races fastest in 1:50.1 on five eights track for winnings of $ 215,308. Foreclosure N won 2 of 12 races fastest in 1:49.4 on five eights track, a very good time for the three year old. That earned him $ 269,973. I think that is a record for a three year old Down Under horse here. With the differences in determining ages a down under two or three year old is six months younger than a North American horse, a difficult handicap.

Last week end at the tracks you are most likely to see Down Under horses: Meadowlands had 120 starters with 4 Down Under horses, Yonkers had 96 starters 9 with Down Under horses, Dover had 135 starters with 5 Down Under horses, and Woodbine had 90 starters with 0 Down Under horses. Thats 4%. There was 3 or 4 times that many a few years ago. There are less down under horses racing in North America than anytime that I can remember. Both the Australian dollar (1.05% of US dollar) and the NZ dollar (84.5% of US dollar) were are near historic highs and shipping has soared to over $ 25,000 US making it very difficult to have success with foreign horses. Also the lack of success by the down under horses here, most notable being Auckland Reactor didn't help.

AWESOME ARMBRO came here in 2010, got to the open at Mohawk/Woodbine quickly but he was one of the the horses I was refering to that raced week after week and then faded. His first year he won $ 69,357 winning 4 of 17 races in a very short time posting a 1.49.8. In 2011 he won $ 18,385 best time 1:53.6. This year has 8 races for $ 13,856 best time of 10, 1:58.3f. He is 10 years old by our system. He last raced in a $ 25,000 claimer on March 17 and finished ninth. I think if they had spread out his races a little more he would have held his form better but hey that's just my thoughts. Also this aint my first rodeo and I know what can happen when the trainer says lets give the horse a week off and the owner says, "What's wrong with him, he raced damn well last week ?"

tasman- As for down under horses comming here the most recent export list out of New Zealand lists about 60 exports of which 60 went to Australia and zip went to America. The horse that I thought would do very well here was a Mach Three horse but it wasn't Auckland Reactor, it was Fiery Falcon. The M House horse had everything you need to win our mile dashes. It was one of the saddest days of my harness life when he died at such an early age.

Sir Lincoln has had a uneven record so far but the five year old right now looks like he would do well here. Say he could be had for $ 300,000 US delivered just for argument purposes. If he made $ 400,000 in two years - 10% to driver and trainer is $ 40,000 and two years expences could be $ 70,000 (could likely be more). Thats $ 110,000 thousand in expenses and after two great years you are down $ 10,000. I would be very supprised if there is more than a small handful of down under horse who won over $ 200,000 two years in a row here. That's the problem with buying the top NZ pacers to race here. You have to get a few good years racing at our speed and 35 races a year to get ahead and that just doesn't happen.

By my count there has only been 16 down under horses sent from NZ to USA in he past 20 months. A HUGE downturn. I will list the 16 here....Joey please identify which have been successes or failures for those of us over here who are curious.

Flem N Em

Caroline's Cullen

All Tiger

Late Flyin

Polaris

Styx Delight

Wicklow

Spy

Princess McArdle

Peruvian Banner

Mr Molly

Scotty Mach

Roseraire

Bondy

Power Of Tara

Malak Uswaad

I have heard BOndy is doing very well and know at one stage Caroline's Cullen, All Tiger and Flem n Em were doing ok.

If we go back a further 12 months... the more notable ones of the 28 sent up there in that period include Dash, Meredith Maguire, Joyfuljoy, Cornishman, Announcement, Days Of Courage and Queen Of Heaven, as well as the two aforementioned Awesome Armbro and Mainland Key.

Styx Delight, Princess McArdle , Peruvian Banner, Roseraire, and Power Of Tara did not make expences let alone cover saleprice and shipping. I would guess (I don't know for sure what they paid) that Flem N Em, Caroline's Cullen, Late Flyin, Polaris, Mr Molly,and Scotty Mach and Bondy covered expences but not purchase price and shipping (yet). All Tiger covered expences, purchase price and shipping, plus sales price. Spy made a profit of maybe $ 50,000 and Montecito about $ 100,000 as rough guesses. Thats in addition to the three big winners last year here: MacRaider N, Royal Cee Cee N, and Mainland Key N have covered expences, shipping and sales price and also made very nice profits.

Flem N Em: Has not raced yet this year, nothing unusual in last few races so I guess it is just a rest. Did well last year 23 races, 4 wins, $ 65,726, 6, 1:49.3f. Will be seven this year, Canadian owners, reached open at Mohawk last year. Sire: COURAGE UNDER FIRE Dam: EQUUS FRANCO Sire of Dam: FALCON SEELSTER

Caroline's Cullen: has seven races this winning $ 11,000 dollars. Here's how our handicapping system works. Caroline won $ 119,324 last year 41 races, 8 wins, 1:52. But she is in a downward plunge. Her last races were Open, non winners of 20,000 in last 5 races, nw 16,000, nw8,000, nw8,000, nw5,000, nw5,000. She won the last race, they always drop till they get to a place they can win. Same owner as Flem N Em. Sire: CHRISTIAN CULLEN Dam: HOLMESTRA Sire of Dam: HOLMES HANOVER

All Tiger won $ 90,000 last year and $ 51,000 in 2010, and $ 91,000 in 2009. Fastest time last year 1:51. Was in the open at Mohawk but struggled last few races. Not seen this year yet. Same owner as first two. Sire: CHRISTIAN CULLEN Dam: TIGER TURNER Sire of Dam: HOLMES HANOVER

Late Flyin N has New Jersey owners, races on Chester, Pocono, Yonkers, Meadowlands circuit.Won $ 16,000 so far this year, $ 82,000 last year, fastest 1.55. Currently racing at Chester. Sire: SANDS A FLYIN Dam: DUNNIGAN'S GIRL Sire of Dam: MACATROSS

Polaris $ 6800 so far this year, $ 67,000 in 2011, $ 24,000 in 2010. Presently racing at Dover. Kind of obscure breeding for Americans . Sire: ISLAND FANTASY Dam: TIPPERARY STAR Sire of Dam: LUMBER DREAM. Has Illionis owners.

Styx Delight $ 9400 so far this year, $ 21,000 in 2011, $ 21,000 in 2010. Races mostly at yonkers. Sire: BETTOR'S DELIGHT Dam: GAMAY GIRL Sire of Dam: HOLMES HANOVER

Wicklow $ 17,000 so far this year, $ 4,000 in 2011, $ 4,000 in 2010. Races in Delaware for Delaware owners. Sire: FALCON SEELSTER Dam: PETTIGO Sire of Dam: NEW YORK MOTORING

Spy $ 36,000 so far this year, last year won $ 151,000 on 33 races and six wins.Races for Maryland owners at the Delaware tracks, presently at Dover. Sire: FALCON SEELSTER Dam: URGENT NEED Sire of Dam: NIHILATOR

Princess McArdle $ 8,000 so far this year, $ 19,000 in 2011, $ 7,000 in 2010. Races at Yonkers for Florida owners.Sire: MCARDLE Dam: ROYAL PRIVILEGE Sire of Dam: FAKE LEFT

Peruvian Banner $ 6,000 so far this year, $ 37,000 in 2011, . Races in Delaware for Illionis owners. Sire: MCARDLE Dam: ROYAL PRIVILEGE Sire of Dam: FAKE LEFT

Mr Molly won $ 62,000 last year on 12 races almost getting to the Chester Open. Sire: SPIRIT OF ZEUS Dam: MOLLY JACCKA Sire of Dam: HOLMES HANOVER Illionis owners

Scotty Mach Mark Harder has this 7 year old gelding. Won $ 78,000 on 15 races last year, $ 11,000 this year. Now at yonkers but also goes at chester and meadowlands and that takes a bit of versatility. Owned by a group of American owners.

Roseraire Kelvin Harrison has this 7 year old mare but the horse after winning 37,000 last year has zip in two races this year and looking bad.

Bondy the 11 year old gelding has won $ 44,000 in 7 races, now racing in the Dover Downs Open. Don't see many 11 year olds in the Dover Open. Sire: LIVE OR DIE Dam: KILLARNEY N Sire of Dam: FALCON SEELSTER

Power Of Tara the nine year old gelding has won $ 9700 with one win in five races. Just moved from Balmoral in Chicago to Dover. Last three raceshave bee 8,8,8. Not so good. Sire: LIVE OR DIE Dam: ATOMIC GOLD Sire of Dam: SOKYS ATOM

Malak Uswaad not in USTA computer

Montecito not on the list but still racing. has been in 59 races over 4 years winning $ 381,000 with 13 wins, 13 places, and 13 shows best time 1: 49.2. $ 12,000 this year, $ 12,000 last year in 12 races and $ 43,000 in 2011 on 12 races. But its the 2009 season his first here that sticks out. Won about $ 325,000 in 2009 racing against most of our top horses. Another horse that can not possibily race without lasiz.

I'm surprised Georgetown didn't win more here, ran some superb races without winning and ran some slick times, his just beaten second to the reactor in the mile down south was huge,just didn't quite get the breaks. Should do well

The New Zealand Pacer Georgetown was supposed to race for the first time Monday at Kawartha.A handful of horses were scratched reason being "transportation". I guess they took the bus and it broke down on the way to Kawartha. The half million dollar winner from Down Under looks to be good enough to advance to the weekly open at Mohawk and Woodbine. A few good New Zealand horses have come over to race at Mohawk and Woodbine in the last few years, gotten to the open pretty quickly and raced six or eight weeks in a row. Then their last quarters get slower and slower and soon you never hear from them again. The business model here is to race 35 times times a year. Maybe 20% of Down Under horses can do that. I think about three weeks of 1:49 miles is the most a Down Under horse can go then they need a vacation in the Caribbean. He was a bleeder down under and has been helped with lasix here. I would bet in the next few years lasix will be banned here. Then you will have to keep your bleeders and eat the losses. Without the insurance policy of selling the bleeders overseas that has to hurt the prices of the top end yearlings and good race horses. It's a chilling thought to know that your three hundred thousand dollar racehorse is now a backyard pet because of bleeding. Most of the owners I know here say that without lasix they would be very hesitant to spend big money on a yearling or top level race horse.

Top Down Under horses in North America last year : MacRaider N, a Mach three gelding, won 10 out of 38 races fastest in 1:48.4 on five eights track, a very good time being only 4/5's of a second off the world record at that size track.He won $ 311,080. Royal Cee Cee N by Christian Cullen raced 20 times , won 11 out of 20 fastest in 1:49.4 on five eights track, an excellent time.She will be racing against the top mares here this year.The tough mare won $ 297,800 for the former North Islander Marc Harder, continuing the tradition of Down under mares doing better here than the colts and geldings. Mainland Key N won 8 out of 33 races fastest in 1:50.1 on five eights track for winnings of $ 215,308. Foreclosure N won 2 of 12 races fastest in 1:49.4 on five eights track, a very good time for the three year old. That earned him $ 269,973. I think that is a record for a three year old Down Under horse here. With the differences in determining ages a down under two or three year old is six months younger than a North American horse, a difficult handicap.

Last week end at the tracks you are most likely to see Down Under horses: Meadowlands had 120 starters with 4 Down Under horses, Yonkers had 96 starters 9 with Down Under horses, Dover had 135 starters with 5 Down Under horses, and Woodbine had 90 starters with 0 Down Under horses. Thats 4%. There was 3 or 4 times that many a few years ago. There are less down under horses racing in North America than anytime that I can remember. Both the Australian dollar (1.05% of US dollar) and the NZ dollar (84.5% of US dollar) were are near historic highs and shipping has soared to over $ 25,000 US making it very difficult to have success with foreign horses. Also the lack of success by the down under horses here, most notable being Auckland Reactor didn't help.

You wouldnt happen to know what happened to White Arrow, Man With The Money and Drew Bromac all from the Wayne Higgs Stables , left in 2008 i think

Man With The Money is one of those foreign horses that have so many letters that there is no room to put a N or A at the end. (limit is 18 letters or spaces). The 11 year old In The Pocket gelding came here in 2007. Has had 142 races here with 24 wins 16 seconds and 15 thirds best time 1:52.8. Raced on the Pennsylvania - New York circuit till this year when he was banished to Cal Expo the Siberian Gulag of North American racing being at least 1200 miles from the next nearest track.

Drew Bromac N is a twelve year old gelding, looks like he came over with Man With The Money in 2007. Has 152 races with 31 wins, 24 seconds and 24 thirds best time of 1:54 taken as an eleven year old. Races in Delaware in $ 7500 claimers. Has rather obscure breeding for over here with an Ok Bye sire and a Cap Rock broodmare sire. I saw him last year at Dover and he is a very handsome chestnut. We don't have very many chestnuts here since it takes two chestnuts, a chestnut and a black, or two blacks to make a chestnut and we hardly have any blacks. Not many grays either. Unless a good chestnut or black sire comes along in twenty years we will have all bay horses racing here.

White Arrow N also came here in 2007. 72 races with 7 wins and earnings of $ 82,000. 13 year old In the Pocket gelding. In 4000 claimers at Freehold.

In 2007 you could bring the less expensive horses like this over and make money. Now with the New Zealand dollar exchange so high and the shipping so expensive it is impossible to break even on horses like this.

Thanks for all the info Joey, you're our unofficial foreign correspondent. Can you give any update on Family Spirit, went to Louie Pena in 2010, has run 1.52 but I wondered if he's still about.

Thanks for all the info Joey, you're our unofficial foreign correspondent. Can you give any update on Family Spirit, went to Louie Pena in 2010, has run 1.52 but I wondered if he's still about.

Family Spirit became the All Age world record holder. Had 1 start for Lou Pena in 20k Claimer at The Big M & wired the field to score by open lengths in 1:45.2

:-P

Family Spirit N came here in 2010, won $ 56,000 that year, $ 21,610 in 2011. His best time here is 1:52. He races in a $ 25,000 claimer April 1 at Chester and is no longer trained by Mr Pena.

A few years ago I did a pretty extensive analysis on horses from New Zealand and Australia racing in North America. After one year here there were more in $ 25,000 claimer or less class than were in higher classes, not an encouraging report.

Family Spirit became the All Age world record holder. Had 1 start for Lou Pena in 20k Claimer at The Big M & wired the field to score by open lengths in 1:45.2

:-P

Are you the advertising agent for Tui Breweries? LOL.