RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pobear

Bowman the man for the job

Bowman booked for Kiwi filly in 2012 Australian Derby

Hugh Bowman has been booked to ride Kiwi superstar Silent Achiever when the filly arrives in Sydney for the Rosehill Guineas and Australian Derby.

Bowman has enjoyed success with Kiwi stayers in the past. The jockey teamed up with Murray and Bjorn Baker to win the 2010 Victoria Derby aboard the ill-fated Lion Tamer.

Last Saturday, Bowman partnered the Anthony Cummings-trained Strike The Stars to seventh in the Randwick Guineas.

According to Bowman’s manager, Bryan Haskins, the owners of Strike The Stars weren’t entirely happy with Bowman’s ride and consequently went in search of a new rider for the upcoming Rosehill Guineas and Australian Derby.

Their decision has proven a lucky break for Bowman, who picked up the mount on the Roger James-trained Silent Achiever.

The filly has won five of her seven starts including the Group I New Zealand Derby (2400m) on March 3. Silent Achiever will run in the Rosehill Guineas on March 31 before lining up in the Australian Derby on April 14.

Bowman partners Streama in Saturday’s Group I Coolmore Classic as well as Shoot Out in the Group I Ranvet Stakes (2000m) and Sincero in the Group II Canterbury Stakes (1300m).

I don't blame them for choosing an Aussie rider. That's their decision, and I'm sure he'll ride her well.

But I feel sorry for McDonald, and I think knowledge of the horse is at least as important as knowledge of tracks and conditions - look at Riddell on Jimmy Choux. Has he given Jimmy a bad ride overseas?

Agreed - only thing putting me off this far out is the Sydney weather in recent times - got a long range forecast Pogo??

we have had no summer mate, but i'll leave the weather to experts like Eton ,Lennox Walker and Zelda Kratchanova..

i couldn't resist the 8/1 Silent Achiever (nz) and the 14/1 Laser Hawk , your kiwi filly looks very very imprescsive

I have been in this industry for more years than I would like to remember.

This decision to replace J Mca with Hugh is hard to work out.I don't believe it would be Kevin Hickmans call,I am sure that James would have gone over,what ever was on here to ride her.

So if that is the case and it was Roger's call,can any one else see it sense in it.

Remember when D Oliver rode Princess Coup,was it not the 2nd worse ride behind Show Gate in the Wellington Cup.

James is unbeaten on SH and yet they are putting a rider on who has been sacked on another runner and remember she is a small filly and Hugh is close to 6ft and yet James makes her look a lot bigger and by his own admission,he says every-time he rides her,he learns something.

I wish her luck,but in my opinion,I believe they have made a mistake,but they may have a reasons,but please don't tell me that James is not in Hugh's class.

I find it hard to disagree with you Midget. Both riders are tops and normally I'd be over the moon to have Hugh Bowman riding for me in Sydney, but your comments make a lot of sense to me. I'd imagine James will be pretty gutted by the decision.

I must disagree on one thing though: Ollie's ride on P Coup ranks only 4th worst, P Cook's ride on Blue Denim in the Melbourne Cup and S Dye's ride on Mannerism slot in before his one!!! :)

I find it hard to disagree with you Midget. Both riders are tops and normally I'd be over the moon to have Hugh Bowman riding for me in Sydney, but your comments make a lot of sense to me. I'd imagine James will be pretty gutted by the decision.

I must disagree on one thing though: Ollie's ride on P Coup ranks only 4th worst, P Cook's ride on Blue Denim in the Melbourne Cup and S Dye's ride on Mannerism slot in before his one!!! :)

How old was "patient pete" when he rode My Blue Denim ??

that may be one reason, in terms of experience in big races in Sydney J Bowman would have an undeniable edge.

JMcD is a fantastic rider and the more experience he has in Oz, the better he will be. Tighter racing, no quarter given etc. Bowman will do the job but whether she can win? Wait until the field and weather are known. As for rides? What about Dye's ride on Veandercross in the CC for a cracker? So wide, he stopped for a beer at Gary Willetts Turf Club Hotel on the way! Did they inspect Bookies betting sheets in those days? Lloyd, I'm sure you meant Veandercross rather than Mannerism?

How old was "patient pete" when he rode My Blue Denim ??

that may be one reason, in terms of experience in big races in Sydney J Bowman would have an undeniable edge.

How old was Brent when he rode Dulicfy in the Cox Plate?

JMcD is a fantastic rider and the more experience he has in Oz, the better he will be. Tighter racing, no quarter given etc. Bowman will do the job but whether she can win? Wait until the field and weather are known. As for rides? What about Dye's ride on Veandercross in the CC for a cracker? So wide, he stopped for a beer at Gary Willetts Turf Club Hotel on the way! Did they inspect Bookies betting sheets in those days? Lloyd, I'm sure you meant Veandercross rather than Mannerism?

You're absolutely right Apprentice - Mannerism beat him. :)

Why is everyone feeling sorry for McDonald he was lucky enough to get the ride in the first place. He only got on because of the injury to Vinny Colgan as he was her regular rider.

I actually agree with your point of view on this one Apprentice. Why people automatically assume an Aussie jockey is a better deal than a talented Kiwi jockey has always had me perplexed. For every race that an Aussie jockey has ridden a Kiwi horse, I know of several where they have not. :(

It is not just about how Hugh will ride Silent Achiever, the concern is what tactics the other jockeys will employ.

That is one reason why Sunline sticks in my mind, they had a slim chance of keeping up with her let alone "stuffing her chances up".

Why is everyone feeling sorry for McDonald he was lucky enough to get the ride in the first place. He only got on because of the injury to Vinny Colgan as he was her regular rider.

vinnys certainly been unlucky lately,hes always got a really serious looking face,does he ever smile?

I agree with kevin.Cant believe they have replaced James and If Bowman is a better rider ill go hee.He is a top rider of course but so is James Mcdonald and riding at the top of his game at the moment.Havnt seen anyone near him in ability for his age in years although I was away when Micheal Walker was an apprentice.When Roger James was interveiwed after the Derby he was cagey about a rider in Aus so it was on the cards.Mcevoy stuffed up Hes Remarkable in Perth by Panicking to get out 700 from home an knocking down half the field to have the race taken off him. Racings never been noted for loyalty but I salute Linda Laing for hers to the boys that do the hard work and love to see Veyron win for her and her underrated jockeys.

I agree with kevin.Cant believe they have replaced James and If Bowman is a better rider ill go hee.He is a top rider of course but so is James Mcdonald and riding at the top of his game at the moment.Havnt seen anyone near him in ability for his age in years although I was away when Micheal Walker was an apprentice.When Roger James was interveiwed after the Derby he was cagey about a rider in Aus so it was on the cards.Mcevoy stuffed up Hes Remarkable in Perth by Panicking to get out 700 from home an knocking down half the field to have the race taken off him. Racings never been noted for loyalty but I salute Linda Laing for hers to the boys that do the hard work and love to see Veyron win for her and her underrated jockeys.

Much of your post I agree with Lindsay - except for the complete rubbish about He's Remarkable knocking over half the filed to win. There was no evidence he even touched another horse - let alone knock one down. That' was one of the bigger travesties of justice I've seen in racing. However, every cloud has a silver lining and as Roger James has just finished saying after watching HR demolish the field in Newcastle with his ears pricked "He's only got 52 in the Doncaster now...!"

And I honestly don't think they will lose anything by having Hugh Bowman aboard Silent Achiever - he's one of the best in the business as far as I can see, especially in Sydney..I agree racing's a tough game though and James may well be gutted. However, he's good enough to cop it and rise to the top of the big Aussie 'tree' in due course....

Much of your post I agree with Lindsay - except for the complete rubbish about He's Remarkable knocking over half the filed to win. There was no evidence he even touched another horse - let alone knock one down. That' was one of the bigger travesties of justice I've seen in racing. However, every cloud has a silver lining and as Roger James has just finished saying after watching HR demolish the field in Newcastle with his ears pricked "He's only got 52 in the Doncaster now...!"

And I honestly don't think they will lose anything by having Hugh Bowman aboard Silent Achiever - he's one of the best in the business as far as I can see, especially in Sydney..I agree racing's a tough game though and James may well be gutted. However, he's good enough to cop it and rise to the top of the big Aussie 'tree' in due course....

LLoyd I may have exagerated abit about Mcavoy knocking half the field down but the fact remains through his actions Hes Remarkable lost the race.He may not have touched a horse but that was only through the reactions of other jockeys and it caused major interference back in the field.I do agree he shouldnt have lost the race though.

Was it Mannerism or Veandercross

funniest post ever , even kiwiscs choosing J Bowman ahead of J McDonald...