RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
handbrake

Grant Cooksley

What is Cookie up to these days? I see he is riding in Brisbane. He living there?

I always thought he was right up with the best that NZ has produced and used to watch him in the eighties and nineties when he was right up there in the riding ranks in Sydney. I thought he was under utilised once he returned to NZ after his time in Sydney. Getting on in years for sure and I assume he hasn't been chasing rides over the last few years but I have always rated him very highly...

....at Eagle Farm yesterday @ 5/1 and 15/1.

After winning his first ,the young fella in Trackside studio said..." GC has gone over to Brisbane for bit of a ride ".

BIT of a ride !!!!

MVance also placed 3 times at EF @ handy odds.

....at Eagle Farm yesterday @ 5/1 and 15/1.

After winning his first ,the young fella in Trackside studio said..." GC has gone over to Brisbane for bit of a ride ".

BIT of a ride !!!!

MVance also placed 3 times at EF @ handy odds.

i hope the owners gave him the extra 5% sling ....

Was a very good competitive rider in eighties early 90s,a bit like noel harris,but like noel past their best and just making up the numbers now.when you punt a horse with handbrake or iceman on your crossing your fingers and your toes,but both have been great for n.z racing

and if you look at the Stakes on offer for the 2 races he won and add up his % plus riding fees, he has won more dosh on one day than he would win in 2 months of riding in the NZ forthcoming miserable winter. How many times would he get 5 rides on a sat race day in NZ these days? Sure, some of them were slow types - but in the wet they can grow a leg. Dual Show was a wet track certainty and his other winner, Karanja, was over the odds. He positioned all but one of mounts really well in the run, except for one which hates the rain so bad he doesn't drink water (Sir Monashee)! It's a good start for him and he'll get more tel calls after Sat.

What is Cookie up to these days? I see he is riding in Brisbane. He living there?

I always thought he was right up with the best that NZ has produced and used to watch him in the eighties and nineties when he was right up there in the riding ranks in Sydney. I thought he was under utilised once he returned to NZ after his time in Sydney. Getting on in years for sure and I assume he hasn't been chasing rides over the last few years but I have always rated him very highly...

Couldn't agree with you more Cookie is still one of the best going around and it staggers me that he only rides about 1 or 2 a meeting great to get a couple of collects of him yesterday.

Was a very good competitive rider in eighties early 90s,a bit like noel harris,but like noel past their best and just making up the numbers now.when you punt a horse with handbrake or iceman on your crossing your fingers and your toes,but both have been great for n.z racing

Disagree Gruff ...

not WAS ... still is !

When I see Cookie on a mount I always go and check it out !

Manners and class` he's all that!

Do you ever post anything positive about jockeys on here??? I doubt it, you only ever criticize from what I am seeing.so what if they are past their best, dont back them if you dont like them, no one is forcing you to. just let them alone, they have been great for NZ racing,unlike I am sure your good self.

Have you taken over from me Scoobyby3051 on Gruff the expert on everything but the expert on nothing.

Was it true that Gruff was the Campaign adviser for Kevin Rudd no wonder he sunk

All he ever does is criticize, he is very annoying, and I like your humour..haha I think he was Rudds mastermind.!!!

looks like hes going over permanently

Cooksley celebrates move to Queensland Sun, 18 Mar 2012

Glenn Davis

Veteran New Zealand rider Grant Cooksley has reintroduced himself to Brisbane racing with a winning double at Eagle Farm.

Cooksley won Saturday's Canadian Club Handicap on the Pat Duff-trained Duel Show and then scored aboard Karanja for Beaudesert trainer Mark Palmer.

Cooksley has decided to relocate to Queensland but is undecided where he'll be based. Known as The Iceman in his heyday for his coolness under pressure, the 52-year-old has ridden extensively in Asia as well as New Zealand and Australia. He also rode briefly for the late Bruce McLachlan when the champion Queensland trainer was based at Thornhill Park.

"I rode for Bruce after Gavan Duffy's time and before Brian York joined him," he said.

Cooksley first considered leaving his homeland six months ago. "A few of my friends spoke to me about coming over six months ago," he said. "I've decided to ride here from now on but I haven't decided where to base myself yet. I'm still enjoying riding and for the time being I'm just staying here with a friend."

In the 1990s Cooksley rode for Jack and Bob Ingham's Crown Lodge in Sydney, but the relationship soured in the autumn of 1996 when he was replaced on champion Octagonal by Darren Beadman.

Cooksley then linked up with the Chinese-financed Domeland operation and was aboard when Northern Drake gave them their biggest success in the 1999 Caulfield Stakes.

Fellow international jockey Jeff Lloyd is also set to join the Queensland riding ranks in May at the conclusion of his contract in Hong Kong. The South African, who spent a couple of seasons in Sydney before his Hong Kong stint, was due to finish there this month.

However, his term has been extended so he can help fill the vacancy in John Moore's stable left by the injured Darren Beadman, who is expected to be out of action for another two months.

Do you ever post anything positive about jockeys on here??? I doubt it, you only ever criticize from what I am seeing.so what if they are past their best, dont back them if you dont like them, no one is forcing you to. just let them alone, they have been great for NZ racing,unlike I am sure your good self.

i have been very supportive of racing and have turned over a small fortune scoob.you choose just to concentrate on my more so called negative posts,im not just a one trick pony like your good self sir and just like to keep things a little more balanced

Have you taken over from me Scoobyby3051 on Gruff the expert on everything but the expert on nothing.

Was it true that Gruff was the Campaign adviser for Kevin Rudd no wonder he sunk

you still owe me an apology falconi for your mindless remark regarding my post on distance travelled.share some of your expert opinion with us gained by your many years frequenting racecourses,sounds like its all you do these days,share some of this vast knowledge with us

Thanks guys.

another half a doz rides for the iceman in brisbane today. I just thought he was way under utilised in NZ upon his return from Sydney a few years ago.

L Cassidy, Wilkinson, Rolls, Browne, Hurdle, Cooksley, Vance all down to ride at Brisbane today. Kiwis galore!

For riders in NZ who are capable and are only whacking away, Brisbane is definately a good option, especially if you have doubts as to weather you can make in in metro melbourne/sydney. Pretty good stake money and good climate which is always an assist for those who struggle a bit with weight.

He is getting plenty of rides across the ditch for someone who you need to cross your fingers when he is riding one for you.gladly not everyone is a knocker like you, very much a one trick jockey knocker.

He is getting plenty of rides across the ditch for someone who you need to cross your fingers when he is riding one for you.gladly not everyone is a knocker like you, very much a one trick jockey knocker.

It's a tough game scrappy,even though the iceman has ridden untold winners I have never been a fan, nothing personal, but have noticed some rides of his lately in town that were sub standard,i wish him the best but he wouldn't win on black caviar

It's a tough game scrappy,even though the iceman has ridden untold winners I have never been a fan, nothing personal, but have noticed some rides of his lately in town that were sub standard,i wish him the best but he wouldn't win on black caviar

I think even you would win on B C

You would have no idea.

Is 61 Group One's not enough for you to think he wasn't better than average.

The only thing Sub Standard around here,is YOU.Put a name to your posts and give yourself a little bit of creditability.

I never said anything about Cooksley being average,open your eyes midget. How does putting my name out there make anything I say credible, im just one of many people that have followed racing and supported it with their hard earned money, no one in racing knows anything of people like myself, and they couldn't care less.We are all just knockers and grandstand critics as soon as we say anything in regards to what's happening on the other side of the fence.

I never said anything about Cooksley being average,open your eyes midget. How does putting my name out there make anything I say credible, im just one of many people that have followed racing and supported it with their hard earned money, no one in racing knows anything of people like myself, and they couldn't care less.We are all just knockers and grandstand critics as soon as we say anything in regards to what's happening on the other side of the fence.

Yes but Midget is right, you mostly knock anyone and anything on here.

You call them knocks I call them observations,and they are not all negative unlike most of yours scoobs. I liked Peter Johnson Nigel tiley, David peake Gary grylls Ken regget RR manning and j d Hayes was my fav for years. He fell off a horse right on the line one time but wasn't touching his mount on the photo... R.I.P

You call them knocks I call them observations,and they are not all negative unlike most of yours scoobs. I liked Peter Johnson Nigel tiley, David peake Gary grylls Ken regget RR manning and j d Hayes was my fav for years. He fell off a horse right on the line one time but wasn't touching his mount on the photo... R.I.P

If you would have J D Hayes ahead of Cooksley,then I would suggest you do not value your hard earned.

As for putting your name to your opinions,i would give you more respect,than someone who has a lot of criticism of things Racing,but will not put their name behind it.