RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
STRAIGHT STRIKE

Mc Donalds ride in the Diamond Stakes yesterday ??

I invite rational, balanced,honest and unbias opinion on James ride when the horse shifted out huge and into the line of several yesterday.

Go to the NZTR Website and have several looks and let us all know your views on wheather he stopped riding and what sort of corrective action he took to keep the horse straight.

Stipendary Control told us that they would come down hard on Rule breakers in Group 1 racing, was this the case yesterday, or in the Telegraph (Durham Town) last month ? .

Fair enough question. In my humble opinion this ride showed a degree of carelessness if not recklessness after the filly showed it wanted to run out. Regardless of whether it was a Group 1 or not the rider has a duty to control the horse. I don't think he did. And I feel the matter should have been put before the JCA after the relegation. I thought the system here was different than in australia, where the stewards are judge and jury. This is not the first time lately where the chief Steward has made decisions which are outside his jurisdiction.

EH??? I think he did bloody well just to hang on!! At one stage I'm sure the horse bumped into the fence and could have easily have gone over it into the crowd! I would expect it is quite hard to "ride a horse out" when it is going sideways at a rate of knots.......as for "having a duty to control the horse"....well a rider only has a certain amount of control (we're not talking a car here)....55kg-odd versus 500kg...?

Come on people,give the kid a break - I think he was doing his best to control a clearly wayward and determined horse...

I think he did all he could as he was unbalanced at one point as the horse did move out sharply and continued to move out.sometimes they duck and straighten.she didnt.He also had his whip in the left hand but that didnt help straighten her.if she had gone straight would have won by a lenght at least.peter mckays horse was flattened and the winner under the circumstances should have been relegated behind it.But thats only my opinion.Im sure others saw it differently

EH??? I think he did bloody well just to hang on!! At one stage I'm sure the horse bumped into the fence and could have easily have gone over it into the crowd! I would expect it is quite hard to "ride a horse out" when it is going sideways at a rate of knots.......as for "having a duty to control the horse"....well a rider only has a certain amount of control (we're not talking a car here)....55kg-odd versus 500kg...?

Come on people,give the kid a break - I think he was doing his best to control a clearly wayward and determined horse...

You must have been looking at a different race. He hit the horse with the whip more than once AFTER it had commenced to run out.This is not tryng to control the horse. This is the australian way, win the race at all costs and worry about the consequences later. We saw this from Rawiller and the guy at New Plymouth recently.Is this how we want our racing to progress in NZ?

The filly was green not sure what else you expect him to do, I cant see how you think Warhorse should have been put behind Trevino Lindsay, it was not his fault the horse got interfered with he was the meat in the sandwich.He did a good job, but I also do not think she touched the outside fence, it was one of those things run the race 10 times this may not happen again, but not JM fault.

You must have been looking at a different race. He hit the horse with the whip more than once AFTER it had commenced to run out.This is not tryng to control the horse. QUOTE]

Agree entirely. Might have still won if he concentrated on keeping her straight with both hands on the reins. Bloody lucky to keep second IMHO. Caused a domino effect to three other horses and although the judiciary said Trevino wasn't making ground the last 100 he certainly had his momentum interrupted.

We all acknowledge the dangers involved in race riding, but in my view JM was reckless and dangerous with this ride. Money does not replace the limb or life of a fellow jockey and for him to continue to pressure the filly with total disregard for the safety of the three jocks outside him is indicative of immaturity of both jockey and horse.

I know he did not appreciate the comments of his fellow jocks as they returned to the birdcage!

An enforced decent holiday will help him reflect on his actions and hopefully he won't be so stupid in the future.

Let him try that in Australia and the consequences will be a lot harder to take.

He was careless if not bordering on reckless, if you watch the tape she only run out after he hit her (yes she did run into the whip but they can run towards it sometimes) He may have tried to correct her a couple a tmes but not enough to get her going straight again, if you watch her after the post she comes back in off the outside fence once he stopped riding her, he deserved a bit of an earfull from the other jockeys for that ride as he clearly wasnt doing all he could to keep the other riders safe.

I think they are getting a bit scared of disciplining him as they would the other jockeys because of who he is and how good he is for NZ racing. Im sorry but a couple of his rides have been a bit to be desired lately and the powers that be seem to be turning a blind eye to him.

Sure he corrected the horse a few times but no way did he do all he could to keep it on a straight path and safe for the other riders.

All you can ask for is consistency and integrity from those making decisions to penalize Jockeys for questionable, careless or improper rides.

James, absolutely the best in the country, but firstly to delay the inquiry into his ride in the Nathans, and then dismiss it, I question. The punter was not protected here. To suggest he did ALL he could to stop the filly rolling out, I'm not convinced.

On the flip side in the same week, Matt Cameron get's 13 days, plus a $2,200 fine for two Derby incidents, one for checking Carrick first time past the winning post (probably fair enough although the rider of Carrick did kick up to keep Cameron out deliberately) and then "improper" riding for his colt bumping past a fast stopping Guess What as they entered the straight.

But Nash get's nothing for the Durham Town incident - neither careless, nor improper. Yet a rider and horse are injured.

Consistency? Doesn't appear so...

We all acknowledge the dangers involved in race riding, but in my view JM was reckless and dangerous with this ride. Money does not replace the limb or life of a fellow jockey and for him to continue to pressure the filly with total disregard for the safety of the three jocks outside him is indicative of immaturity of both jockey and horse.

I know he did not appreciate the comments of his fellow jocks as they returned to the birdcage!

An enforced decent holiday will help him reflect on his actions and hopefully he won't be so stupid in the future.

Let him try that in Australia and the consequences will be a lot harder to take.

John, you know the system in NZ, I am aware that the Stipes review races after race-day,is it still possible for them to lay a riding charge against JM in regard to the Diamond Stakes ride?

I know he did not appreciate the comments of his fellow jocks as they returned to the birdcage.

If the other jockeys are starting to get angry with James.... James better take note of what the other jockeys are saying...because one day the other jockeys will just stop talking and take action instead...... if you are a rider you know what this means!!!

The horse was clearly more than a handful and impossible to keep on a straight line.

The "Tall Poppy Syndrome" continues unabated in good ole Kiwiland.

The horse was clearly more than a handful and impossible to keep on a straight line.

What sort of statement is that?

Obviously you were somewhat distracted when making that comment, or does it reflect something else that is lacking.

Tall poppy Syndrome....Get a grip on it m8.

If the Jockeys were very concerned with the way James rode this horse over the final stages and enough to have words with him coming back to the birdcage then Id say they have concerns with the safety of the other jockeys and horses....Not tall poppy crap at all!!!!

understand what people are saying instead of jumping to the wrong concluson yet again.

Knowone is knocking James himself, he is a very talented rider and is fantastic to NZ racing, however a few of his rides lately have not been his best- even you must admit that. The thing is every jockey in the world have had bad rides but given JM stance in NZ racing at the moment its almost as if the powers that be are too scared to reprimand him as they would anyone else. He is a wonderful rider yes but when he rides outside the guidelines he should have conscequences just like everyone else.

Jockeys have "words" after a race quite often, its no big deal.

You "grand stand riders make me laugh":D

however you have gone down the gurgler bigtime with the rubbish you have stated recently.

I'm full of admiration for James and his success but as i stated nobody is/should be beyond question when it comes to Stipendary Control.

Kopia,i and others are pretty much in the same court on our thoughts regarding the race and nothing is unduly targetted at James Mc. as you have ashamedly suggested.

however you have gone down the gurgler bigtime with the rubbish you have stated recently.

I'm full of admiration for James and his success but as i stated nobody is/should be beyond question when it comes to Stipendary Control.

Kopia,i and others are pretty much in the same court on our thoughts regarding the race and nothing is unduly targetted at James Mc. as you have ashamedly suggested.

I have seen some suspect riding from other jockeys and there has never been a mention of the rides on here.

If it had not been a big race and a successful jockey, I very much doubt there would be a thread on here discussing the matter.

What did the stipes have to say?

I have seen some suspect riding from other jockeys and there has never been a mention of the rides on here.

If it had not been a big race and a successful jockey, I very much doubt there would be a thread on here discussing the matter.

What did the stipes have to say?

This is an adults site or at the very least for individuals with knowlegable, informed, balanced and rational opinion.

Please read Post No. 1 on this thread, in particular the opening paragraph before you post again thanks.

This is an adults site or at the very least for individuals with knowlegable, informed, balanced and rational opinion.

Please read Post No. 1 on this thread, in particular the opening paragraph before you post again thanks.

Yes, I did read the first post and I asked "What did the stipes say?"

As an adult David.... Maybe you would like to answer the question? Or are you above the stipes?

ROLLOUT THE CARPET (J McDonald) shifted out on jumping and hampered CHOICE BRO (M Cameron).

ROOF OF RECKONING (T Thornton) shifted out on jumping, badly hampering MAI GURU (L Innes) which blundered

and CROATIA (H Kasim) which lost ground.

WARHORSE (O Bosson) and COAT DU ROAN (D Johnson) came together at the start.

Near the 1000 metres MAI GURU was steadied and obliged to race wide when crowded for room by SORIANO (S

Spratt) which shifted in and ROOF OF RECKONING was taken out slightly by KING ZEUS (J Riddell).

CROATIA over-raced in the early stages.

TRAVINO (J Waddell) over-raced in the middle stages.

SORIANO raced three wide without cover.

Over the final 100 metres SILK PINS (M Coleman) shifted out under pressure and in doing so SORIANO shifted out

away from that runner crowding MAI GURU and then making contact with TRAVINO. M Coleman was issued with a

warning.

J Bridgman, the trainer of the second placed horse WARHORSE (O Bosson) lodged an objection against the first placed

horse ROLLOUT THE CARPET (J McDonald) for alleged interference in the home straight. J Waddell, the rider of the

fifth placed horse TRAVINO lodged an objection against the fourth placed horse SORIANO (S Spratt) and first placed

horse ROLLOUT THE CARPET for alleged interference in the home straight. During the initial stages of the inquiry J

Waddell withdrew the objection against the fourth placed horse SORIANO. The Committee heard evidence from all

relevant parties in respect to the two objections and considered it appropriate to uphold second against first and

dismissed fifth against first. The final placings now read No. 2 WARHORSE first, No. 8 ROLLOUT THE CARPET second,

No. 10 SILK PINS third and amended placings accordingly.

The Stewards interviewed all jockeys regarding the interference to WARHORSE, MAI GURU and TRAVINO near the 200

metres and further interference to WARHORSE near the 100 metres. After considering their evidence the Stewards’

opinion was that despite the efforts of its rider J McDonald ROLLOUT THE CARPET continued to shift out abruptly

causing the said interference. Trainer J McVean was advised that ROLLOUT THE CARPET must trial to the satisfaction

of the Stewards prior to being permitted to start in a race again.

When questioned regarding the performance of CHOICE BRO Rider M Cameron advised Stewards that after

drawing wide they intended to ride the horse cold in the early stages.

Evidently, from the finding of the stewards, when a horse runs out or otherwise shifts ground, it is no longer necessary to stop riding the horse out so long as you aresimultaneously seen to be taking sufficient corrective action.

The filly was green not sure what else you expect him to do, I cant see how you think Warhorse should have been put behind Trevino Lindsay, it was not his fault the horse got interfered with he was the meat in the sandwich.He did a good job, but I also do not think she touched the outside fence, it was one of those things run the race 10 times this may not happen again, but not JM fault.

Leigh I didnt mean Trevino should have been put up to first.I meant the filly should have been put behind trevino